Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
tuner98
CF Newbie

Cool Underglow trouble

I'm trying to install underglow on my wifes Dodge Neon, yeah I know a Neon? Thank God it aint mine. Anyways when I first hooked them up I had them hooked to the battery and it fried the wires so I got a inline fuse and it pops the fuse if the car is in motion, its fine if the car is just sitting there and running. So I got another battery and put it in the trunk and have it hooked up but they don't turn on when I flip the switch. The last thing I've tried is running he wires to the cigarete liter, That did'nt work. Now I'm thinking of just hooking them up to the headlights to see if that works, any suggestions would help.
tuner98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

were u using a capacitor when u were using a battery. i also dont know what u mean about the fuse 'popping off when in motion'
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
thongsai
CF Enthusiast

wow check how much that thing needs.

My for sale and buying thread
thongsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Jon_K
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner98
. xz%$SssssswSo I got another battery and put it in the trunk and have it hooked up but they don't turn on when I flip the switch. The last thing I've tried is running he wires to the cigarete liter, That did'nt work. Now I'm thinking of just hooking them up to the headlights to see if that works, any suggestions would help.
Quote:
Anyways when I first hooked them up I had them hooked to the battery and it fried the wires so I got a inline fuse and it pops the fuse if the car is in motion, its fine if the car is just sitting there and running
What is the voltage tolerance of the light system you are trying to install. Does it take 12vDC?

Car batterys output is not exactly 12.0 volts, but rather around 12.6 volts.

Anyways, you said you had a fuse inline that kept blowing. What amperage rating does the light system have and what amperage rating is the fuse you put inline? Do you have two lighting systems on the circuit, because if so you need to mulitply the amperage rating.

I wouldn't suggest putting a battery "in the trunk" and powering the system that way. First off, the battery will die eventually unless connected to the charger to keep it charged. Secondly, and probably more important, batteries emit hydrogen gas -- and if that gas has ANY way to get to your wife (I'm sure just seeping through the back seat up in to the car from the trunk) you will have a dead wife. That goes x1000 if she's a smoker.

And your putting this in a DODGE neon?? ( http://binaryloft.com/images/1999-Dodge-Neon-1.jpeg ) That's insane. Definitely not a sports car.

Last edited by Jon_K : 08-06-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Jon_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
tuner98
CF Newbie

The kit is a 4 peice kit and it runs 12 volts, the in line fuse is 20 amps. The lights work using this way only if the car is'nt in motion. No need to worry about the battery in the trunk, that way did'nt even work so I took it out. And for the guy who said Neons are'nt racers, I've seen Neons beat some pretty nice tuners. You just have to do alot of performance upgrades.
tuner98 is offline   Reply With Quote