Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
papasmurf18
CF Newbie

Post Need Help With My 240sx

Hey I Have Been Working On This Car Alot ITS A 1990 240SX HB And I Have No Idea Y Its Not Acting Right It Has Brand New Spark Plugs Spark Plug Wires Distrubitor Car And Distrubutor Roter And When I Start It I Floor It To Rev It Up And It Dont Go Over 2500 Rpm And I Dont Know Y I Was Able To Drive It For A Little Bit Today Was Going Down The Free Way And Could Not Get Any Faster Then 75 Mph Unless I Was Going Down Hill Anyone Help Plz I Am All Out Of Ideas!!! Okay here is some more information. When the car does run on shifts it backfires. I have tried several diffrent firing orders my problem is every diagram I see shows #1 in the top right on my cap it is marked in the lower left as #1 so do I just ignore this and put the order in the book, also in the book the screws are verticle mine are horizontal. Autozone says there are to types of ignitions for this car how do I know which one I have?

Last edited by papasmurf18 : 08-07-2005 at 07:12 PM.
papasmurf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf18
Hey I Have Been Working On This Car Alot ITS A 1990 240SX HB And I Have No Idea Y Its Not Acting Right It Has Brand New Spark Plugs Spark Plug Wires Distrubitor Car And Distrubutor Roter And When I Start It I Floor It To Rev It Up And It Dont Go Over 2500 Rpm And I Dont Know Y I Was Able To Drive It For A Little Bit Today Was Going Down The Free Way And Could Not Get Any Faster Then 75 Mph Unless I Was Going Down Hill Anyone Help Plz I Am All Out Of Ideas!!!
So, are you saying it's misfireing?....I'll move this by the way. And an introduction of yourself would also be nice!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

punctuation is your friend, try using it. introduce yourself god damnit. you only need to capitalize the first word of every sentence NOT EVERY DAMN WORD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Hey I Have Been Working On This Car Alot ITS A 1990 240SX HB And I Have No Idea Y Its Not Acting Right It Has Brand New Spark Plugs Spark Plug Wires Distrubitor Car And Distrubutor Roter And When I Start It I Floor It To Rev It Up And It Dont Go Over 2500 Rpm And I Dont Know Y I Was Able To Drive It For A Little Bit Today Was Going Down The Free Way And Could Not Get Any Faster Then 75 Mph Unless I Was Going Down Hill Anyone Help Plz I Am All Out Of Ideas!!!

recheck the firing order diagram attached

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
punctuation is your friend, try using it. introduce yourself god damnit. you only need to capitalize the first word of every sentence NOT EVERY DAMN WORD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
He's now introduced himself....actually, lol...And, I just noticed his punctuation...I thought the font looked slightly larger than normal lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
papasmurf18
CF Newbie

I changed the spark plug wires to the order on the diagram. It idles now but still wont go higher then 2500 rpm???? After 2500 it starts cutting out almost like a governer is kicking in. If I press the throtle any more it does nothing. I allready tried a new fuel filter and that made no diffrence. I felt the exhaust and the intake there does not seem to be any restrictions there. I disconnected the catylitic converter and this made no diffrence. I'm running out of ideas me and all my friends have looked and worked on it please help. I'm 19 working a part-time job and this thing is eating up all my money trying to get it running. I have to bum rides everyday just to get to work and back!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
I changed the spark plug wires to the order on the diagram. It idles now but still wont go higher then 2500 rpm???? After 2500 it starts cutting out almost like a governer is kicking in. If I press the throtle any more it does nothing. I allready tried a new fuel filter and that made no diffrence. I felt the exhaust and the intake there does not seem to be any restrictions there. I disconnected the catylitic converter and this made no diffrence. I'm running out of ideas me and all my friends have looked and worked on it please help. I'm 19 working a part-time job and this thing is eating up all my money trying to get it running. I have to bum rides everyday just to get to work and back!

spark plug gap ????

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
papasmurf18
CF Newbie

spark plug gaps are good i can drive it but i have to shift at 2500 rpm in all gears its like a govern gone wrong is there a govern on this car
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
spark plug gaps are good i can drive it but i have to shift at 2500 rpm in all gears its like a govern gone wrong is there a govern on this car

did it run good/well before the new plugs and wires
the only part i can think of would be a bad pick-up module on the distributor or ignition module

my new toy

Old 08-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
papasmurf18
CF Newbie

Ok when i first got it the exzaust mainifold had a leak i could drive it just fine until i fixed it now i have all these problems it starts just fine
Old 08-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Ok when i first got it the exzaust mainifold had a leak i could drive it just fine until i fixed it now i have all these problems it starts just fine

so you fixed a bad exhaust leak?? burned out the gasket ?? front pipe to manifold connection????
if you disconnect the manifold can you rev higher than 2500 rpm
i'm thinking the converter is restricted now that you mentioned exhaust leak
higher back pressure will blow out/burn up gaskets causing leaks
if the back pressure is high enough you will lose rpm as the engine exhaust trys to excape

my new toy

Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #12
Macc
CF Enthusiast

On the Nissan KA engine if the ECU perceives a conflict it will limit the engine to about 2500 rpm so it doesn't do more damage to itself. From the problem you are describing it is often a problem with the TPS or MAF sensors.

So, here are some things to check, one of them is likely your problem:

The fuel pressure could be low. It should be somewhere around 33 psi...

Check the electrical connectors on the injectors for clean contact (no corrosion etc.) and make sure no connectors are loose or undone.

Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). This is found on the intake just opposite of where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. It is usually a small black box on the side of the throttle body and has electrical connections to it. One model is a switch that tells the ECU when its at full throttle or idle. The other is a variable resistor (potentiameter) that tells the ECU how much accelerator is being used. It's resistance changes relative to pedal postition. To check this take a voltmeter and check the resistance at the connections while steadily rotating the throttle plate (where the gas pedal cable connects) by hand. The resistance reading should change steadily as you rotate the throttle plate steadily. If there is any dramatic jumps in the resistance reading as you rotate the plate then the TPS is likely bad.

Check the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF sensor). This is located on the intake just after the air filter. It looks like a little black box with electrical connections. Inside of it there is a little wire that gets really hot. At different engine rpms the amount of air flowing over it changes the temperature of the wire which results in a change in its resistance. The ECU evaluates this change and adjusts the air-fuel ratio accordingly. If the MAF sensor heating element is dirty (dust, oil etc.) it can give the wrong signal to the ECU and the engine will have the wrong air-fuel ratio. To check this first make sure that the electrical connector is clean and sound. Then remove the MAF and clean the heating element. When doing this be careful with the element in that it is rather delicate. To do this get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the element and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then repeat this about 2 more times. Then let it dry thoroughly before assembly and use.

Finally, make sure there are no leaks in the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body as this could affect the air-fuel ratio.

Good luck and post back what you come up with.
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
papasmurf18
CF Newbie

Talking

HA!!!! $10 is all it took to fix it!!!!!! My buddy went and baught all new fuses and some crosion cleaner and that fixed it like nothign i can haul ass every where lol but still have that small exzaust leak!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #14
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
HA!!!! $10 is all it took to fix it!!!!!! My buddy went and baught all new fuses and some crosion cleaner and that fixed it like nothign i can haul ass every where lol but still have that small exzaust leak!!!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
congrats

my new toy

Old 08-09-2005, 01:39 AM   #15
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Another 240 lives to see another day !