Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Is it really that hard as an automotive enthusiast

... to actually appreciate all cars, even if you have favorites that you prefer? Why does every teenager find it so important to hate on things that aren't their current favorites? I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the ability to actually think.

*I* have favorite cars. But I can appreciate all kinds of cars, from imports to domestics, from new to old, from fast to slow. Stock and custom (and even art cars), even if the customizing isnt' something I would do myself.

Why do people have to hate on things that aren't their favorites in order to justify HAVING those favorites? Why is that expression of opinion so important? In all my years on automotive forums I run across all sorts of variations on this behavior. And invariably the people that know the most about cars, tend to exhibit this behavior the least. And invariably, the people that argue loudest that it's their right to act this way, know the absolute least.

I don't know. I've just never found it that hard to be able to enjoy the rush of a torquey big block pushing you off the line in a roar of thunder, and turn around and enjoy the rip of a small engine winding up and flinging you forward. I have no problem driving classic American muscle and modern Japanese sport coupes. I can drive a slow lowrider as easily as a full race Sports GT. A showcar built for artistic expression is as valid as a race car built for pure speed. I enjoy the feel of a good manual shifter, and the speed and power use of a good automatic. FWD, AWD, RWD doesn't matter, as long as the car is doing teh job that's asked of it. A couple tenths of a second difference in accelleration figures isn't enough to crown one car the ultimate and it's competitor an utter pile of crap. And a few seconds difference in accelleration isn't enough to make me not want to drive a car on the street. And who else owns a car isn't enough of an excuse to drive or not drive an example of that car.

But so many people I talk to lately, especially young or inexperienced people (i.e. they've only driven one kind of car their whole life), seem completely and utterly incapable of seeing that all of them are mass producd mechanical devices, and that while their favorite might be perfect for them, other choices are not POS simply because they are not their first choice. Whether it's import drivers hating "low tech domestics," Domestic drivers hating "rice rockets" or Euro drivers thinking anything else is a low class POS, it's all the end result of the same thing.

So why is it so prevalent?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Ignorance is bliss lets just say that
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
72firebird
Banned

[quote=ChrisV]

But so many people I talk to lately, especially young or inexperienced people (i.e. they've only driven one kind of car their whole life), seem completely and utterly incapable of seeing that all of them are mass producd mechanical devices, and that while their favorite might be perfect for them, other choices are not POS simply because they are not their first choice. Whether it's import drivers hating "low tech domestics," Domestic drivers hating "rice rockets" or Euro drivers thinking anything else is a low class POS, it's all the end result of the same thing.

[quote]

the only thing i can say is that the old saying "people hate what they cant understand" comes to mind.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I dont fall into that group of teens. I used to hate everything but older cars (Dodge and Chevy), but i've been getting more into everything. I like Imports, Domestics, Euros, and whether its cars/trucks/vans and in some cases even bikes. I know i cant really say much cause i have never really driven anything but i can go by looks and what i read. If you look on this forum, i have not tried to be 'discriminating' of any type of cars, when it comes to that i keep out of it. I have my favorite cars but it doesnt mean that anything but my favorites are crap and a waste of time/money to build.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
72firebird
Banned

you dont like bikes that much? i think bikes are the coolest thing ever. you suck loser you need to leave lol j/k. nah but sport bikes i think are pretty damn cool. just the technoligy that goes into them is amazing. doesnt matter that there imports and made from "ricer companies" there still kick ass. just the fact that they can pump 160 hp out of a 1 litter 4 cylinder and get it to rev up to 12000 rpms. puts my 350 with its 6500 rpms to shame.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I like bikes but its not as much of a fascination as with cars/trucks. I like everything whether it has wheels or not (boats). I know i have a lot to learn about the various automotive vehicles but thats why i'm here, its a start. I'd love to have an old Jet boat with a 454 or something, that'd just be sweet.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I certainly hope I don't fall into that category...I try my hardest to give everything a chance...and to respect all automobiles for what they are. I have cars I like a lot from every brand...along with cars I like somewhat less (I find it hard to think of any car I really dislike).
Old 08-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
72firebird
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I like bikes but its not as much of a fascination as with cars/trucks. I like everything whether it has wheels or not (boats). I know i have a lot to learn about the various automotive vehicles but thats why i'm here, its a start. I'd love to have an old Jet boat with a 454 or something, that'd just be sweet.

nitro boat drag racing is cool to watch. those are some fast boats. id like to take one wakeboarding or jet skiing lol. doing like 230 mph on a lake. yea basicly if it has a motor that sucks up gas its cool in my book. (with the exception of ricers and domestic ricers which just get on my nerves, not because the car but just because the way they carry themselves)
Old 08-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72firebird
nitro boat drag racing is cool to watch. those are some fast boats. id like to take one wakeboarding or jet skiing lol. doing like 230 mph on a lake. yea basicly if it has a motor that sucks up gas its cool in my book. (with the exception of ricers and domestic ricers which just get on my nerves, not because the car but just because the way they carry themselves)
Ya, but it doesnt even have to be gas, could be diesel or even electric now. I dont mind what others do to there cars, its really there choice and as long as their happy with it then it was a good one (for them). I'm no good at judging who's a ricer and who isnt so i dont say anything about it lol.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Spitsign
CF Newbie

"Why does every teenager find it so important to hate on things that aren't their current favorites? I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the ability to actually think."

You bring up a good point, and I agree with most of what you're saying.. yet you lose credibility when you show how biased YOU are, thusly relating you to these teenagers who you say can't "think"
I'm a teenager. I don't hate on cars that aren't my favorites. Should watch your wording

and to answer your question
"So why is it so prevalent?" because it is easier to be narrow minded and to remain ignorant than it is to actually take the time to educate yourself.. Just look at who runs this country..

Last edited by Spitsign : 08-09-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

I'm here to educate myself. It was because if people like you (Chris) that have made me change my ways (for example, I used to hate Talons because I never gave them a chance. Now I kinda want one {turbo of course}). Yes, I'll admit, I used to be narrowminded before coming to the forums but have since changed my ways. I am a car enthusiast and therefore respect all automobiles.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #12
Vlad
CF Addict

Same here. I'm a teenager, and I have my favorite cars. I have cars that I think are not so great, and ones I just plain think are ugly and I hate em, but they serve the purpose they are supposed to, and that makes them a good choice for some people. I try as much as I can to not hate on certain types of cars, especially ones I don't know that much about.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Brand loyalty is a salesman's best friend. Tribal behaviour is evident in every facet of a person, although sometimes not explicitly so.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

I've decided I hate all cars!!!

... why am I here????
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
hhsrastler92
CF's Weekend Warrior

i like my cars like i like my music.....i like all cars an music so now its not all teenagers its jus the newbies sending a streotypical message to the older members

^My kids^
hhsrastler92 is offline   Reply With Quote