Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
ben_e
CF Newbie

co2 car

hello 4 school we are buliding a co2 race car and i am having troubles thinking of what to name the car if u have any iudeas plz tell me thanx
ben_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:39 AM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_e
hello 4 school we are buliding a co2 race car and i am having troubles thinking of what to name the car if u have any iudeas plz tell me thanx

How 'bout... Exhale-a-Go-Go?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Tell me Ben, could you elaborate on your project before I give you a list of names for your CO2 race car? Is it like a soap box with a fire extinguisher attached to it that you're going to paint or what? Are you in, say, teams of twos or fours? Is there going to be a head to head race? How many CO2 race cars are there going to be? What are the rules and limitations e.g. how much CO2 are you allowed to use? If you give me all the information then I can comply with your request.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
How about the "Fart Cannon".

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
How about the "Fart Cannon".

Wouldn't that be if it was powered by methane?

Old 02-20-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
ben_e
CF Newbie

well our whole class is building 1 so ther will be bout 18 cars and they are going 2 race head to head over 20m. the cars have to be between 200mm and 305mm long. they run on a co2 canister which goes into the powerplant which has to be 50mm depth and 19.5 diameter. we have 2 design them and on the computer and then we have 2 build them using materials such as aluminium, plastics and stuff like that.
ben_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well our whole class is building 1 so ther will be bout 18 cars and they are going 2 race head to head over 20m. the cars have to be between 200mm and 305mm long. they run on a co2 canister which goes into the powerplant which has to be 50mm depth and 19.5 diameter. we have 2 design them and on the computer and then we have 2 build them using materials such as aluminium, plastics and stuff like that.
Perhaps you should name your car the "TO". It would give you practice spelling it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #8
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:

I'm a man of my word so here’s the list: -
1. Paint the car white and call it “The Abominable Snowman” or just “Yeti” – because CO2’s cold and your car could be thought of as the CO2 car equivalent to “Bigfoot” the monster truck.
2. “Coto Racer” – if you work that one out then you’ll realize that it’s another flame after vwhobo's post You could still use it though.
3. “Frostbite” – CO2's cold enough to cause frostbite.
4. “Low Fuel Dragster” – an attempt at humour because CO2 cars are really at the opposite end of the spectrum (really they're of the scale) to top fuel dragsters.
5. Paint it black and then stick uncooked grains of rice on it, then paint a yellow oval with a black silhouette on it and call it the "Ricemobile" - it would be a mockery of so-called 'rice cars' and the "Batmobile".
6. Paint it white and call it “Snowball” – again because CO2’s cold but you could say that when your CO2 car performs, it picks up speed like a rolling snowball picking up momentum!
7. “McLaren CO2” – instead of McLaren F1. I know that your car's not being made by McLaren but then again, if anyone in your class is called McLaren, especially your teacher then it could work.
8. "No Octane Racer" - CO2 has no octane rating as opposed to nitromethane that's high octane and used by top fuel dragsters.
9. “Emission Failure” - CO2 emission tests are carried out on cars.
10. “Global Warming Device” - CO2 causes global warming.

Now that I’ve given you some ideas, could you let me know what happens please? I’d appreciate it if you let me know what name you all decide on and what some of the other cars are called. Good luck with the race
Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I like McLaren C02

Old 02-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
I'm a man of my word so here’s the list: -
1. Paint the car white and call it “The Abominable Snowman” or just “Yeti” – because CO2’s cold and your car could be thought of as the CO2 car equivalent to “Bigfoot” the monster truck.
2. “Coto Racer” – if you work that one out then you’ll realize that it’s another flame after vwhobo's post You could still use it though.
3. “Frostbite” – CO2's cold enough to cause frostbite.
4. “Low Fuel Dragster” – an attempt at humour because CO2 cars are really at the opposite end of the spectrum (really they're of the scale) to top fuel dragsters.
5. Paint it black and then stick uncooked grains of rice on it, then paint a yellow oval with a black silhouette on it and call it the "Ricemobile" - it would be a mockery of so-called 'rice cars' and the "Batmobile".
6. Paint it white and call it “Snowball” – again because CO2’s cold but you could say that when your CO2 car performs, it picks up speed like a rolling snowball picking up momentum!
7. “McLaren CO2” – instead of McLaren F1. I know that your car's not being made by McLaren but then again, if anyone in your class is called McLaren, especially your teacher then it could work.
8. "No Octane Racer" - CO2 has no octane rating as opposed to nitromethane that's high octane and used by top fuel dragsters.
9. “Emission Failure” - CO2 emission tests are carried out on cars.
10. “Global Warming Device” - CO2 causes global warming.

Now that I’ve given you some ideas, could you let me know what happens please? I’d appreciate it if you let me know what name you all decide on and what some of the other cars are called. Good luck with the race
Um, Snoope I hate to break up the party, but I need to correct a couple of things.

1. CO2 in and of itself is not cold. Let's try an experiment. Take a deep breath, cup your hand over your mouth, exhale. Is the air you exhaled cold or hot. Hot, right? What you just exhaled is about 80% CO2. I think the reason you think CO2 is cold is because if you take a tank of CO2 and crack open the valve it comes out cold. Any pressurized gas will come out cold, part of the venturi effect.
2. Nitromethane actually has an extremely low octane rating, it does however have high power potential. If you ever watch Top Fuel or Funny Car racing that's 87 octane gasoline they shoot the bug catcher to get it to start. Nitro is around 70 octane.
3. CO2 has not been proven to cause global warming, as a matter of fact nothing has been proven to cause global warming. To take this a little further only a relatively small percentage of scientists believe global warming even exists. About the same percentage as believe global cooling exists.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Um, Snoope I hate to break up the party, but I need to correct a couple of things.

1. CO2 in and of itself is not cold. Let's try an experiment. Take a deep breath, cup your hand over your mouth, exhale. Is the air you exhaled cold or hot. Hot, right? What you just exhaled is about 80% CO2. I think the reason you think CO2 is cold is because if you take a tank of CO2 and crack open the valve it comes out cold. Any pressurized gas will come out cold, part of the venturi effect.
2. Nitromethane actually has an extremely low octane rating, it does however have high power potential. If you ever watch Top Fuel or Funny Car racing that's 87 octane gasoline they shoot the bug catcher to get it to start. Nitro is around 70 octane.
3. CO2 has not been proven to cause global warming, as a matter of fact nothing has been proven to cause global warming. To take this a little further only a relatively small percentage of scientists believe global warming even exists. About the same percentage as believe global cooling exists.

1. “The Abominable Snowman” still seems okay to me but then he's not American like "Bigfoot" is.
"Frostbite" could mean that you can possibly get a cold burn via CO2 escaping from the tank then Maybe not
Maybe "Snowball" is also too (now that's when you can use a '2') weak. That just gave me another idea - "CO2 Fast, CO2 Furious" It's clever but cheesy.
2. That's interesting but what does, "they shoot the bug catcher to get it to start" mean? I think that I'll be asking about fuel somewhere down the line. Maybe I should have my title of "CF Addict" changed to "Grand Inquisitor"
3. I’ve heard different but lets just forget about “Global Warming Device”.

Sorry to everyone for the misinformation and thanks vwhobo for educating me
Old 02-21-2004, 04:07 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
2. That's interesting but what does, "they shoot the bug catcher to get it to start" mean?
I meant to say 'shoot into the bug catcher'.

See where it says USA?

See where it doesn't say USA anymore?

Bugcatcher!

Last edited by vwhobo : 02-21-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:23 PM   #13
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

So vwhobo, a 'bug catcher' is the same as a 'venturi tunnel'?
Old 02-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So vwhobo, a 'bug catcher' is the same as a 'venturi tunnel'?
I have never heard it called that, which might just be a case of the UK/US language barrier. Bug catcher sounds cooler too.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #15
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

'Venturi tunnel' sounds more formal while 'bug catcher' sounds more like slang to me.
Thanks for the post with the pictures vwhobo.