Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
sunnio
CF Newbie

Should I sell my jeep or repair it?

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but hoping you'll help me nonetheless.

I have a 1998 jeep with 120k miles and the steering column shakes when I go over 55mph. Now, I can put it in 4 wheel drive and the shaking goes away.
There is nothing else wrong with it, and I have done routine maintenance on it.

I've asked my dealer about the problem, and he said it would cost around 4K to fix. I love my jeep, and as you can see I drive it everywhere. The blue book on a car like this is 2K or to a private party might sell for 3.5K.

I think the real question might be, would I be willing to buy a car like this for 4K? and if the answer is yes, I should logically fix it. If the answer is no, I should sell it. Am I thinking about this correctly? What else should I consider?

Thanks!
sunnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I'm curious as to what the dealer told you was wrong with it?

To me, sounds like something simple such as front end alignment or your front wheels are out of balance. Who knows.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
72firebird
Banned

why would the wheels cause his steering column to shake? doesnt seem like a wheel or alignment problem to me.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
72firebird
Banned

i mean i can understand if they were unbalanced but other than that i think it has to be something else doing it other than the wheels. most likely some other part of the suspension in the front. but the choice on weather to sell or replace is up to you. if you like the car as much as you say you do and drive it everywhere id just get it fixed. or sell it and try to find a pre 76 jeep.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Mainly because if they are unbalanced, it might cause it to shake. Mine are unbalanced and my steering wheel shakes when I go faster than 60. I was just offering suggestions as he seemed to be left hanging on his own. Could be a many number of things. It makes more sense (to me anyways) to look at the smaller things (often overlooked) first.

Also note though I asked what the dealer was saying was wrong with it.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
adamc44
CF Freak

dont take it to the dealer to get it fixed. they use acutal jeep chrysler parts that are outrageous and the labor is ubeleivable also. go to a reputable auto mechanic in the area and have him diagnosis it.

my car used to shake at about 55+ thought it just needed alignment and struts, it turned out it was the tires that were bad.

your also supposed to introduce yourself!!! (finally got one!!!)

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
sunnio
CF Newbie

Hi!

Thanks for all the advice. The dealer told me there was a problem with the front suspension. The reason why the repair is so expensive is b/c the jeep is a 4 wheel on demand, and apparently it will be very labor intensive. To whoever reccomend that I take it to a local garage, I made an appt for this Tuesday, thanks.

Give you guy a little background to support the tire theory issue that one writer proposed. The shaking problem all started when I bought one new set of tires. I asked that one set of tires be changed, and then rotate the other set.

At that point, the car has been shook uncontrollably to the point where it almost took me off the road. So, I asked that the rotated set be taken off, and the old ones put back in. The shaking disappeared, then it slowly started to come back. So, I decided to go get new tires for the old set as well. The dealer told me that if I didn't get the suspension fixed, the tires will wear out in the same way the first set, and the shaking problem will return in the near future.

Thanks for all the advice!.
sunnio is offline   Reply With Quote