View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Automatic 9 23.68%
Standard 27 71.05%
I don't drive 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #31
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Automatic. I like to have a free hand to give the other driver a nice big when i pass them.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #32
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Honestly, I like manuals because they make me feel badass. I'm not afraid to admit it, the shifter is like a testosterone injector. I love it.

I will admit I prefer an auto in rush hour though.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #33
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22
Automatic. I like to have a free hand to give the other driver a nice big when i pass them.
heh, you're not constantly changing gears...

you can still have enough time to give the finger with a manual.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #34
Accord_Man
CF Addict

I will be able to drive (permit) in december and liscense in june. But my dad's accord is manual. The neighborhood we live in is private, all of the roads are like driveways in that they belong to the residents ( they aren't actually driveways )
so it doesn't matter how old you are to drive where I live. Its just like driving on private property with dirt bikes. Anyway I've been driving my dad's car for about 2 years in our neighborhood just about every day, its good practice and I can't wait to get his car, never really get past 2-3 gear though, speed limit is 15. Anyway I drive my moms CR-V auto and I like it ( it handles more like a car than an SUV) but I love manual and I probably always will.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:02 PM   #35
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Manual Transmissions just seem to be more fun to drive, especially in these boring straight American highways (Im in the Midwest, wish I was on the Westcoast).

You mean the ones you don't shift on ANYHOW when driving because you're doing a constant speed? How the hell is there any difference if youre not shifting anyhow? Seriously, I drove across the US in my SVT Contour (with 5 speed) and MOST of the time, I wasn't shifting (it was simply in 5th gear). For hours at a stretch. Is it more fun because you can look down at the stick?

Do people even THINK before typing anymore?

I drive up the Jersey Turnpike and shift only at the toll plaza at the end of it. There is zero difference between driving a manual trans car or an automatic on the interstates.

Quote:
I dunno, I guess I enjoy being in control.

What, the difference between being in control of a car and not being in control of a car is pushing a f*cking pedal? You mean that pedal keeps you in your lane, makes you go around corners, stop at lights, etc? You mean, the only way to be in control of getting to your destination is that third pedal? If it was not in your car, you'd not be in control anymore? I daresay if you removed the STEERING WHEEL you wouldn't make it to your destination. And it would also probably be much harder without a brake pedal or a gas pedal.

The control argument is absolute bullsh*t. You're NOT in control of the car simply because you're shifting it yourself. It's one more thing on the car that you're in control OF, yes. But you're not in control of the CAR because of it.

I can guarantee you I was in as much control of my V8 RX7 with the AOD transmission as you are in ANY manual trans car (probably moreso, in fact).

After you've been driving more than a few months, you don't even pay attention to most of th eshifts. You don't drive around saying, "Look at me, I shifted! Oh, look! I did it again!" It's just something you do because you have to in order to keep the car from staling or lugging. The CAR is in control and you won't even be paying attention to what you have to do. The motions become, well, automatic, and only on occasion will you execute a perfect heel and toe downshift and smile a bit at it. And if you aren't paying attention to it 90% of the time, then you wouldn't mis it 90% of the time, and you wouldnt' be any mroe bored by not having a third pedal.

I prefer manual transmissions in small engine car (like the one in my sig). I prefer built automatics in large engine cars, turbo cars, luxury cars, and things like my motorhome. Every car I've bought new has had a manual trans. I like a good manual trans. But I'm not in "more control" of the car because of it. Nor is a car more fun due to having to shift it myself. A car is fun from how agile it is, how many G forces it pulls in any direction. How responsive it is.

The car in my sig is fun. My SVT was fun. My RX7 V8 was fun. My 460 powered Mustang was fun. my Comet convertible will be fun. My last jaguar XJ6 was fun. the first two on that list were the only ones with manuals. My PT has a manual (because there's nothing good about the mitsubishi sourced automatics that were available in them). And If I get a GT Cruiser, it'll have the Getrag 5 speed because the autostick is unproven, and I don't trust the small Chrysler automatics yet (other wise the turbo engine and the autostick should be a good combo)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #36
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Manual all the way...I like to change gear...when I want to lol

So, when the engine is turning, oh, 1000 rpm in fifth, you'll not shift down because you want to tell the engine YOU'RE in charge of shifting, not it?

No, you change gears when the ENGINE wants, not when you want.

Of course, you realize there are other positions on an automatic shifter other than "drive" right, so you can tell the trans when to shift...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #37
DodgeRida67
Banned

Breaking news: People everywhere are getting their panties into a wad over who prefers a manual transmission over an automatic transmission, and the whys as to such. A4 for details.

A4:
Continued from front.

If you like manual over automatic, good for you, that's fine. If you like automatic over manual, good for you, that's fine also. As to why, that is also your opinion, just as much as which you like is. Everyone: State your opinion and stop trying to look smart by arguing. Arguing and arguing alone shows that you are a mindless idiot.

-

What I'm saying is, if you like auto, fine, you like manual? Fine. You like one or the other because driving a stick rids your hard stool problems? Fine. State your opinions and shut up about everyone else's.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #38
DodgeRida67
Banned

I drive my stick while on the cell phone. Also text message, too. And yes, I eat my cheese burgers at the same time too. It all works out.

And for the record, I prefer a stick over an auto just to be different.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #39
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
If you like manual over automatic, good for you, that's fine. If you like automatic over manual, good for you, that's fine also. As to why, that is also your opinion, just as much as which you like is. Everyone: State your opinion and stop trying to look smart by arguing. Arguing and arguing alone shows that you are a mindless idiot.

So getting people to actually think is a bad thing.

Goes back to my other threads.

Opinions are the only imnportant thing, having them and holding tightly to them is more important than knowning anything, and trying to get people to think about the reasons behind the opinions is stupid.

Go ahead, opinions are king. No one's wrong, everyone's right, and we can all stop actually posting on an automotive forum because there's nothing left to learn, we know it all (and if you don't know it, you at least have an opinion on it, and that's actually better...)

'cause I'm a mindless idiot. Thanks for reminding me, DodgeRida67!

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #40
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Which do you prefer and why?

I perfer my automatic Accord around town and my 300ZXTT for when I want a little more control.

Which btw - I'll update here and say I just hit 220,000 miles on the Accord!

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #41
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
I prefer automatics simply for the fact that I have never in my life driven a manual. And for the fact that I need one hand to steer and one hand to hold my cell phone.

well, you'd be ticketed for your driving while on the cell phone here in NY.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #42
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
well, you'd be ticketed for your driving while on the cell phone here in NY.
That's what someone told me down here too! Everytime I see a cop car I hold the phone down by my lap until I pass them.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #43
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
That's what someone told me down here too! Everytime I see a cop car I hold the phone down by my lap until I pass them.

yeah, the cops are really cracking down on the law (and giving violators hefty fines)....your state might be next!

Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #44
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
yeah, the cops are really cracking down on the law (and giving violators hefty fines)....your state might be next!
I need to get a phone with speaker phone on it. They can't pull me over for talking to myself, can they?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #45
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
I need to get a phone with speaker phone on it. They can't pull me over for talking to myself, can they?

i doubt it. you do realise you can buy a hands-free kit so you can talk and drive...there's lots of options out there. no need to buy a new phone, unless your current one is old-school.