View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Automatic 9 23.68%
Standard 27 71.05%
I don't drive 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #46
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

I already have the hands free kit lol.. Never use it.. The ear pierce bothers my piercings.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #47
BlueFusion6851
CF Newbie

Cool

Considering its been a year since i've driven a stick i'd say.... uhh i prefer auto.
148,000 Miles and Rising
BlueFusion6851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #48
vlc92189
CF Newbie

well considering, i got my learners, i mostly drive the rents automatics, but i wasat my fathers one day and he let me drive his stick. plus the car im getting is a stick. i think stick is just better and more fun
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #49
Oomba
Banned

Standard shift, manual, same thing. I prefer manual, because im not lazy. Its more fun, and in most cases shifts faster.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #50
mahalaleel
CF Newbie

Manual, better gas mileage, faster than most stock automatics of the same car. Downshifting is fun, and the feel of shifting is like nothing else.
mahalaleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #51
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
will be able to drive (permit) in december and liscense in june. But my dad's accord is manual. The neighborhood we live in is private, all of the roads are like driveways in that they belong to the residents ( they aren't actually driveways )
Yeah its always good to learn how to use a stick. Chances are, some day ull need to know. Ive never drivin a stick but i think if i had to i could.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #52
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22
Ive never drivin a stick but i think if i had to i could.
Shit I couldn't. I can't even start one.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #53
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So, when the engine is turning, oh, 1000 rpm in fifth, you'll not shift down because you want to tell the engine YOU'RE in charge of shifting, not it?

No, you change gears when the ENGINE wants, not when you want.

Of course, you realize there are other positions on an automatic shifter other than "drive" right, so you can tell the trans when to shift...
Chris......are you going senile?...I aint gonna argue with you on this one as it's becoming a bit tiresome. And, although I DONT have to justify my statement to you, I will, this time. What I meant was, I'd rather shift gear myself if drivinf....progressively.....at, say 6,000RPM (depending on the car, oviously)....than, in an auto at an RPM the engine feels necessary to shift gear at. Fair enough, modern manuals are becoming more and more advanced than ever, and it aint always like that these days, but I just feel more in control with a manual. So if you like, Chris, I can rephrase that last one to say that I prefer to have more control over what I do when driving

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #54
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Chris......are you going senile?...I aint gonna argue with you on this one as it's becoming a bit tiresome.

Not going senile, and teh bullshit reasdoning that makes people look in=gnorant is getting tireso=me, as well. Sorry, this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine in teh automtive realm, right up there with teh definition of ricers being anyone who customizes anything cosmetically on thier car, including street rodders and '50s customs. It says the person making the stamtne is unable to think things through, and very little knowledge of what they are talking about.

Quote:
And, although I DONT have to justify my statement to you, I will, this time.

Saying you "don't have to justify your reasons" is like saying, again, that opinion is more important than actually learning anything. My whole point here is to make people think. You've supported that when it's aimed at someone ELSE (like JayG or certain other people who have come on here making unsubstantiated statements). But now you bristle because it's aimed at YOU.

Quote:
What I meant was, I'd rather shift gear myself if drivinf....progressively.....at, say 6,000RPM (depending on the car, oviously)....than, in an auto at an RPM the engine feels necessary to shift gear at. Fair enough, modern manuals are becoming more and more advanced than ever, and it aint always like that these days, but I just feel more in control with a manual. So if you like, Chris, I can rephrase that last one to say that I prefer to have more control over what I do when driving

Except you really, REALLY don't have "more control" and that's the point I'm trying to drive home. Most of the time youre shifting without even noticing that you're doing it! You're certainly not saying, "look at that, I shifted!" every time, or even MOST of the time. You're not maximizing performance or economy most of the time, you're simply shifting because it's about the time you should. That's not being more in control of the car. It simply isn't. No more than saying (on an older car) that when you have a choke lever on the carb you have to control to warm the car up is being more in control of the car.

I'd like to invite you to my house, ride with me on my commute with my manual transmission car, and point out where the act of shifting during the commute is more fun and makes me in control. And I wish I still had the RX7 V8 car so you could point out to me where I was NOT in control of the car and were it was NOT fun to drive.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #55
Vlad
CF Addict

Quote:
Shit I couldn't. I can't even start one.

Haha. Whenever some noob asks to drive my prelude I tell em sure, if you can start it. They sit there turning the key and get out looking stupid. I laugh and drive away. Its quite funny.

I prefer a manual, because I just like it better, and all the crap you put up with if you get a sporty car in auto lol.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:26 AM   #56
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Saying you "don't have to justify your reasons" is like saying, again, that opinion is more important than actually learning anything. My whole point here is to make people think. You've supported that when it's aimed at someone ELSE (like JayG or certain other people who have come on here making unsubstantiated statements). But now you bristle because it's aimed at YOU.
I'm not sure I understand that entirely, because as far as I'm concerned it's a fact that you tend to have more control over what you do with regard to shifting gear in a manual tranny car.

And while I agree that you tend not to think about shifting gear, I think if I owned an Automatic, I WOULD think about it, for all the wrong reasons

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #57
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
Haha. Whenever some noob asks to drive my prelude I tell em sure, if you can start it. They sit there turning the key and get out looking stupid. I laugh and drive away. Its quite funny.

I prefer a manual, because I just like it better, and all the crap you put up with if you get a sporty car in auto lol.

hmmm....could it possibly have something to do with a clutch?
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #58
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad

That is exactly what happened to me. After work all the guys a were standing around Brandon's 5 speed Civic. I asked if I could drive it, "You start it you can have it" I almost broke the key trying to get it to turn and start. Everyone laughed.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #59
mahalaleel
CF Newbie

What's the trick...? clutch in? in neutral? No testicles?
mahalaleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #60
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm not sure I understand that entirely, because as far as I'm concerned it's a fact that you tend to have more control over what you do with regard to shifting gear in a manual tranny car.

And I explained why that reasoning is faulty.

Quote:
And while I agree that you tend not to think about shifting gear, I think if I owned an Automatic, I WOULD think about it, for all the wrong reasons

""IF you owned an automatic?" IF? You really don't know, do you?

Well, I've owned dozens of both, in stock and modded form, and I can tell you you're f*cking WRONG. What part of "you don't have the f*cking experience in this subject to argue facts" don't people GET?

Does your clutch pedal steer your car? Could you still steer, brake, accellerate an automatic car to get to your destination? YES! So apparently you don't need a f*cking clutch pedal to BE IN CONTROL OF THE CAR!

Again, I wish I still had the RX7 so you could ride with me on the street and on the track and point out exactly where I didn't have control of EVERY ASPECT of the car...

And again, as I told Wally, it's 95 degrees in the house with the fans on, and humid as hell, the A/C went out a few days ago and I have to wait around until someone can get here to fix it, and I'm on the ragged edge of patience with EVERYONE. I really get tired of people arguing fom a postion of limited or no experience. and after all that I've talked about for the past couple weeks here on that very subject, I'd have expected one of the mods to have more sense. I'm trying to give people of limited experience the benefit of my much more extensive experience and study in this exact subject. it's why I wonder why I even bother. Everyone knows enough already, or at least they have an opinion and thats all that matters to anyone.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote