Standard 27 71.05%
I don't drive 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #61
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalaleel
What's the trick...? clutch in? in neutral? No testicles?

Clutch in

Would be better to say "If you can get it to go, you can drive it"
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #62
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

I prefer manual transmissions because you usually have more gears than the auto counterpart and more aggressive and close gear ratios. It's just more fun to me, but I see how it could get old/bothersome in traffic and other stop and go situations. If it became automatic to shift the gears it probably wouldn't be that fun anymore either.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:26 AM   #63
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
"IF you owned an automatic?" IF? You really don't know, do you?

Well, I've owned dozens of both, in stock and modded form, and I can tell you you're f*cking WRONG. What part of "you don't have the f*cking experience in this subject to argue facts" don't people GET?

And again, as I told Wally, it's 95 degrees in the house with the fans on, and humid as hell, the A/C went out a few days ago and I have to wait around until someone can get here to fix it, and I'm on the ragged edge of patience with EVERYONE. I really get tired of people arguing fom a postion of limited or no experience. and after all that I've talked about for the past couple weeks here on that very subject, I'd have expected one of the mods to have more sense. I'm trying to give people of limited experience the benefit of my much more extensive experience and study in this exact subject. it's why I wonder why I even bother. Everyone knows enough already, or at least they have an opinion and thats all that matters to anyone.
The top paragraph of that statement really annoys me, Chris...Who the hell are YOU to tell ME I dont know what I'm talking about?.....For your information, Chris, I may not have owned an Auto, but I've driven hundreds...and I still say I'm right...ok, maybe you could call it an oppinion, but I'm sure more than a few people would say its a fact

As for the lower paragraph. Quite honestly, I dont giva damn about your personal issues with A/C.....We in the UK have to suffer when it gets a bit hot

Well....atleast this one's staying on topic though

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-15-2005 at 06:12 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #64
Wally
I Know More Than You

Wouldn't a simpler response be that you like a manual because you get to choose which one to use and it stays in that gear, even though it may not be the best selection?

Personally after owning several cars with manual transmissions, I think they suck for daily commute, especially in hilly suburbia with traffic lights and stop signs.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #65
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Wouldn't a simpler response be that you like a manual because you get to choose which one to use and it stays in that gear, even though it may not be the best selection?

Personally after owning several cars with manual transmissions, I think they suck for daily commute, especially in hilly suburbia with traffic lights and stop signs.
Ok then...that works for me.....just to please Chris

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #66
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

yeah, i was considering that when i bought my current car. apart from a few occasions (driving test, girlfriend's car) I had only driven auto or the 3-on-the-tree torana. I liked the idea of a 4 or 5 speed manual for the extra control you have over gear selection, but i was a little disturbed about the fact that I drive about 45 mins each way to work in traffic.

I ended up going for a 5 speed (the way i figured it, I'll do it now, then for the rest of my life I can drive autos). I haven't actually found it annoying at all. The torana was/is a bit more annoying in traffic because it had a stiff clutch with long travel ... tough on the knees.

My cousin actually wants to get rid of his manual for that exact reason, but as yet, I'm happy to drive mine in peak hour.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #67
darealdeal21
CF Newbie

well if im going FI, auto

Please read the posted sticky on top.
darealdeal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #68
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
The top paragraph of that statement really annoys me, Chris...Who the hell are YOU to tell ME I dont know what I'm talking about?.....For your information, Chris, I may not have owned an Auto, but I've driven hundreds...and I still say I'm right...ok, maybe you could call it an oppinion, but I'm sure more than a few people would say its a fact

Have you driven one with a B&M shift kit in it? have you driven one like that behind an engine like the one in my RX7? Have you driven one out on the track?

Or have you only driven stock transmissions?

The fact that you are making factually inaccurate claims is what proves you don't have the experience. The fact that you can't come up with any sort of proof to back up your claims other than whining that "it's your opinion" proves it, too.

That's my favorite. Whenever people KNOW they don't have anything to back up their claims, they resort to "you're not letting me have my opinion."

I have yet to tell anyone they can't have their preferences, or that their preferences are wrong, only that their "opinions" on the things that aren't their favorites are based on faulty logic, inaccurate facts, or simply the lack of knowledge.

Simply more proof about what I talked about before. You'd rather form hard opinions and argue about them than actually learn something new,and run the risk of liking more than one thing.

As I said, I prefer good manual transmisions. I like the solid feel of a good shifter as you change gears. But I know better than to think it affords me any more control over the car than any other form of changing gears. And it's not a requirement for me to like, drive, or own a car, as I've had enough fun cars that were equipped with automatics. I also don't like poorly engineered or poorly operating transmissions of EITHER sort. But that's not enough to make me hate a car or not drive it, either.

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 08-15-2005 at 04:12 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #69
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Ok, Chris...hows about we just agree to disagree...I'm sure my so call oppinion is slightly more than that of an oppinion.....and you dont think so.....So, there ya have it!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #70
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Ok, Chris...hows about we just agree to disagree...I'm sure my so call oppinion is slightly more than that of an oppinion.....and you dont think so.....So, there ya have it!

Clif, it seems as tho for Chris the world is black or white. His thinking is usually 'Either he is right or Im right, but both of our thoughts can not co-exist'. Im sure you have noticed this in many of his posts.

btw, this poll suks ass. where is the option for both.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #71
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Clif, it seems as tho for Chris the world is black or white. His thinking is usually 'Either he is right or Im right, but both of our thoughts can not co-exist'. Im sure you have noticed this in many of his posts.

btw, this poll suks ass . where is the option for both.

Who does this remind you of
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #72
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Who does this remind you of
Wasnt is Jay-G....? I believe so

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:32 AM   #73
Accord_Man
CF Addict