Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Question about 4x4 Trucks

My dad just got a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and I was wondering if it is a common problem with 4x4's that you have to eventually start putting it in reverse for the front axle to unlock. My dad got it used from a dealership I believe and my stepmother tells me that thats how they all are, because her friend with a F-250 super duty with 4x4 must also put it in reverse for the front axle to unlock. I was wondering if this was a common problem or what because after reading the chevy's manual just to make sure, you are NOT suppose to have to put it in reverse for the front axle to unlock. Thanks in advance

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Bino
Written Off

It has not been necessary to put a Chevrolet in reverse to disengage the front end since they switched to the IFS front end ('88 for pickups, '92 for Suburbans, Blazers and Crewcabs). So, depending on the year of the truck, it may be necessary to put the vehicle in reverse to disengage the front hubs... obviously assuming it has the shift-on-the-fly option.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
It has not been necessary to put a Chevrolet in reverse to disengage the front end since they switched to the IFS front end ('88 for pickups, '92 for Suburbans, Blazers and Crewcabs). So, depending on the year of the truck, it may be necessary to put the vehicle in reverse to disengage the front hubs... obviously assuming it has the shift-on-the-fly option.

Well seeing as how the Chevy is a 2002 and it does have the shift on the fly option this does not answer my question. And our ford is a 2000 and the Ford that my stepmom's friend has is a 2002 ford.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 08-14-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

i have a 2002 f 250 with manual locks and i dont have to back up, my buddy has a 99 f250 with automatic locks and he also doesnt have to back up. i know this doesnt answer your question, but figured id trhow it out there.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Well seeing as how the Chevy is a 2002 and it does have the shift on the fly option this does not answer my question. And our ford is a 2000 and the Ford that my stepmom's friend has is a 2002 ford.

well, yes, he did answer your question.

Quote:
It has not been necessary to put a Chevrolet in reverse to disengage the front end since they switched to the IFS front end ('88 for pickups, '92 for Suburbans, Blazers and Crewcabs).

is it newer than '88 (p/u), or '92 (Suburbans, Blazers and Crewcabs)?

yes. 2002 is newer than 1988 or 1992...

i really had higher hopes for you than that...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
well, yes, he did answer your question.

is it newer than '88 (p/u), or '92 (Suburbans, Blazers and Crewcabs)?

yes. 2002 is newer than 1988 or 1992...

i really had higher hopes for you than that...

Not really because I am asking if this is a recurring problem for these trucks eventhough the last time you HAD to put it in reverse to disengaged 4x4 was in '88, or '92.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
dodger65

Quote:
Not really because I am asking if this is a recurring problem for these trucks eventhough the last time you HAD to put it in reverse to disengaged 4x4 was in '88, or '92.

right. it used to be common practice and required to disengage the front axle. what is happening to make you think the axle is not disengaging?

Old 08-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
right. it used to be common practice and required to disengage the front axle. what is happening to make you think the axle is not disengaging?

The axle isn't disengaging and I know, there is a lack of power among things, but once I put it in reverse and go a short distance the front axle unlocks. I know whether the axle unlocked or not I may be young and dumb but I am not retarded.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
dodger65

Quote:
The axle isn't disengaging and I know, there is a lack of power among things, but once I put it in reverse and go a short distance the front axle unlocks. I know whether the axle unlocked or not I may be young and dumb but I am not retarded.

ya know, i was going to try to help you and needed some clarification on the exact circumstances, but if you're so f*cking smart and you're gonna be a whiny bitch, then fix it your f*cking self!

Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
ya know, i was going to try to help you and needed some clarification on the exact circumstances, but if you're so f*cking smart and you're gonna be a whiny bitch, then fix it your f*cking self!

First of all God knows I must be so smart eventhough I admitted that I was dumb, what kind of clarifications do you need, the front axle doesn't unlock, are there any weird sounds or changes no, the front axle simply does not unlock when the button is pressed. Secondly I am not being a whiny bitch as much as I am simply stating I am not retarded. Third I never once said anything about fixing the problem in any of my previous posts did I? Nope, i am simply wondering about this problem and what might be the cause of it, personally my father has already stated he would rather have it the way it is then go spend 500 dollars for a little convience that isn't even used that much. Fourth I am sorry if I came off as a little bit of a smart ass but I am not in a great mood because our AC in the house doesn't work right now and I am burning up, so I apologize if you were offended by that.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:56 PM   #11
dodger65

Quote:
First of all God knows I must be so smart eventhough I admitted that I was dumb, what kind of clarifications do you need, the front axle doesn't unlock, are there any weird sounds or changes no, the front axle simply does not unlock when the button is pressed. Secondly I am not being a whiny bitch as much as I am simply stating I am not retarded. Third I never once said anything about fixing the problem in any of my previous posts did I? Nope, i am simply wondering about this problem and what might be the cause of it, personally my father has already stated he would rather have it the way it is then go spend 500 dollars for a little convience that isn't even used that much. Fourth I am sorry if I came off as a little bit of a smart ass but I am not in a great mood because our AC in the house doesn't work right now and I am burning up, so I apologize if you were offended by that.

sry i flew off the handle, i think we had a miscommunication. mostly, i was asking what symptoms it was exhibiting. i used to get a lot of confused people in the shop w/ chevys that they said weren't disengaging b/c the front axles turned all the time. that is not a problem b/c the axles are supposed to turn all the time, the disengagment point was in the transfer case. but they thought that since the axles still turned, it was still engaged. try putting it in neutral when going to and from 4wd, my dad has a 99 that acts a little funny unless you do that. and check this out.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eec8907!make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%202500HD&e d_makeindex=.eec8907

so what is your ac doing/not doing?

Old 08-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
sry i flew off the handle, i think we had a miscommunication. mostly, i was asking what symptoms it was exhibiting. i used to get a lot of confused people in the shop w/ chevys that they said weren't disengaging b/c the front axles turned all the time. that is not a problem b/c the axles are supposed to turn all the time, the disengagment point was in the transfer case. but they thought that since the axles still turned, it was still engaged. try putting it in neutral when going to and from 4wd, my dad has a 99 that acts a little funny unless you do that. and check this out.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eec8907!make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%202500HD&e d_makeindex=.eec8907

so what is your ac doing/not doing?

Well It was finally fixed now THANK GOD the fan motor had burnt up so the guy came for awhile and put a new motor in now its all good. And thanks I will have my dad try that, but for the msot part when we put it into reverse to unlock the front axle we go for a few seconds then it jerks a little bit as if it unlocks and when we go back to driving again it seems like we have the power again that we should and the symptoms as if it Were IN 4x4 are gone.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #13
dodger65

Quote:
Well It was finally fixed now THANK GOD the fan motor had burnt up so the guy came for awhile and put a new motor in now its all good. And thanks I will have my dad try that, but for the msot part when we put it into reverse to unlock the front axle we go for a few seconds then it jerks a little bit as if it unlocks and when we go back to driving again it seems like we have the power again that we should and the symptoms as if it Were IN 4x4 are gone.

if you ever lose the motor again, you can run a garden hose over the condenser coil as a temp. fix...

check out that link and you might want to google it as well, b/c people like to complain about their problems these days. if it's a common problem, people will be talking about it...

Old 08-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #14
Bino
Written Off

Quote:

Well, seeing as how you didn't say what year it was.... I had to kind of flock-shoot the question. Let's have some good information next time.

No, you should not have to put it in reverse to disengage 4WD, I've never had to on my '90 or my '98, not on my brothers '91 or 2000, not on my Mom's '90 or '96, and my dad has never had to on his '99, 2000, 2001, 2002, or either of his 2004's. So, no, you shouldn't have to do that.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #15
Bino
Written Off

Quote:

OK, this post reminded me of something... the front end will not disengage unless the front wheels are allowed to spin independently of eachother. If the vehicle is in 4WD and you then find yourself on dry pavement when you shift out of 4WD the tension in the front axle will not allow the hubs to disengage. If you simply drive the vehicle into the gravel or a slippery portion of the road (where most people choose to use 4WD) they will always disengage the front end. But if the tires are on dry pavement... it'll keep everything bound up and not allow the front end to disengage.

Also, Chevy's don't technically engage the hubs. They actually disengage one driveshaft on the front end. Both front driveshafts always spin, 4WD or not. When you put the vehicle in 4WD it slips a collar over the two driveshafts (right next to the front pumpkin in the center of the vehicle) and connects the left and right sides of the front axle... just FYI.