Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
traclee94
CF Newbie

my 1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Hello again. I am wondering if anyone may of had this problem before or may know what is going on. My car would not start yesterday so we got a new fuel pump(second one in less than a month) and it still only runs for like a second and then stalls out. If I turn the ignition switch to on my fuel pump will come on and run then when I crank it over it fires and starts but only runs for a second before stalling. If I use starting fluid it will run until that burns off so it is not getting fuel for some reason is it that the fuel pump is not working again? That would be twice in one month. Please help me if you know or may have an idea. Thank you so much. traclee94
traclee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

maybe your fuel injectors are plugged?? or your fuel filter.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
vmc2
CF Newbie

yeah check those, and if its not because of those, then theres still a whole list of things about what could be causing the problem.....but ill leave it to the pro's
vmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by traclee94
Hello again. I am wondering if anyone may of had this problem before or may know what is going on. My car would not start yesterday so we got a new fuel pump(second one in less than a month) and it still only runs for like a second and then stalls out. If I turn the ignition switch to on my fuel pump will come on and run then when I crank it over it fires and starts but only runs for a second before stalling. If I use starting fluid it will run until that burns off so it is not getting fuel for some reason is it that the fuel pump is not working again? That would be twice in one month. Please help me if you know or may have an idea. Thank you so much. traclee94

i know its a 98 grand am but the engine size
it could be as simple as a bad fuel pump relay or as bad as a faulty crank sensor but it would help if i knew what i was looking up

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
traclee94
CF Newbie

Smile

Sorry it is a 3.1 L.
I also have a quick question would it make a difference if it is on the ramps when I try starting it? Not sure just wondering. I also should mention that I have an anti-theft system on the vehicle and not sure if it has something to do with that. We definitely have the fuel pump working but it still will not staying running. Thank you very much.

Last edited by traclee94 : 08-14-2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: a little more information
traclee94 is offline   Reply With Quote