Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
barrierocks
CF Newbie

Angry 95 saturn head gasket

got home from work one night noticed some brown oily liquid bubbling out of the coolant expansion tank . after consulting a mechanic i decided to replace the head gasket myself. after i removed the head i checked it for flatness and it was in tolerance . again i consulted the brother in law mechanic and asked if i should send it out to check for cracks. i was advised its not worth it just install the head set . after looking at the old head gasket it looked fine to me so i had my doubts. i decided to reassemble everything and hope for the best. after taking the car for a test run i had the exact same problem oil in the antifreeze and the dipstick at the halfway mark.anybody out there had this problem or have any ideas. the engine has 325,000km on it , it could be a cracked block ,it always ran fine, never overheated, low maintenance very reliable.
barrierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
if your sure of your repair procedures of the head install, and you did it all proper things for the job, you really shoulda had the head checked for cracks, and inspect the cylinder walls for fractures, could be a cracked block
Old 08-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
barrierocks
CF Newbie

installed head to proper tightning sequence and procedure there was a stretching sound on the first bolt area(middle of head on backside) it sounded like an over torqued bolt but i suspect its the block(cracked).there were no visible cracks in the clyinder walls,it may be an enternal crack .i have come to understand that generaly if you have oil in your coolant its your block. if you have water(coolant) in your oil its your head gasket. there are exceptions of course.

Last edited by barrierocks : 08-14-2005 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot to add somthing
barrierocks is offline   Reply With Quote