Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

A 351W would be a bolt in, but it's an inch taller and wider. A 351C would require a lot more work, as it woudn't swap in cheaply with factory parts. It would require a different transmission, as well, AND it's a heavier engine. Harder to find them anymore in the early, high performance forms, and more expensive to make power from if you can't find the high performance versions.

I mean, if you're going to do that, I'd just go all out and fabricate mounts and space to drop in a built 460. For $1500, I can make 600 hp from one of those.

That's what *I* woud do with a Pinto/Mustang II, but it's not a low budget first project. Something like this car with 600 hp and 700 lb ft of torque in streetable form...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
A 351W would be a bolt in, but it's an inch taller and wider. A 351C would require a lot more work, as it woudn't swap in cheaply with factory parts. It would require a different transmission, as well, AND it's a heavier engine. Harder to find them anymore in the early, high performance forms, and more expensive to make power from if you can't find the high performance versions.

I mean, if you're going to do that, I'd just go all out and fabricate mounts and space to drop in a built 460. For $1500, I can make 600 hp from one of those.

That's what *I* woud do with a Pinto/Mustang II, but it's not a low budget first project. Something like this car with 600 hp and 700 lb ft of torque in streetable form...

Well that makes sense. I didnt consider the dimensions of the 351C or the tranny problem. The 460 idea is good though. My dads cousin dorpped on in a 1972 Mach 1 and it makes 1200hp without the spray However its not streetable

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

sorry if i sound like a noob to this (mostly cause i am) but i heard u can also put a new mustang engine in it to. is it possible to do that. I would like the fact that it would be easier on gas and it would probably be faster. thanx for all of the help so far guys i really appreciate it
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:09 PM   #19
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
sorry if i sound like a noob to this (mostly cause i am) but i heard u can also put a new mustang engine in it to. is it possible to do that. I would like the fact that it would be easier on gas and it would probably be faster. thanx for all of the help so far guys i really appreciate it
This would be possible. But then theres the ECU deal, as well as the transmission, and numerous other things. Plus, getting a new 4.6L V8 isnt easy. Getting a production 4.6L V8 engine from Ford Racing costs over $2000.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

oh well thats not realistic for me and by the way wat does ecu stand for i kinda wanna know?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #21
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
oh well thats not realistic for me and by the way wat does ecu stand for i kinda wanna know?
Im not exactly sure what it STANDS for. But its your vehicles computer board. It controls the fuel injection, among other things. Carb. cars (like your 1976 Mustang) dont have it.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #22
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

k thank you
Old 08-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #23
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to switch the transmission to a manual and install a shortshift is this a good idea?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit, basically teh car's computer. While it may be hard to buy or install a 4.6, you can get a later 5.0 and 5 speed for well under a grand out of a wrecked 5.0 Mustang. If you find one '88-93, it'll be a great engine. And there's a kit to make that engine work in pre-computer controlled cars. It's under $300 from Ford Motorsports.

But you'll also have to hook up a cluch pedal assembly and linkage... not necessarily as easy as it sounds.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #25
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

k thank you