Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
odds
CF Newbie

Talking Hondas+ [need first car help]

I'm lookin' to buy my first car, and I've got about $1500 saved up so far. My Dad's willing to put in about $2000, which is good. Currently, I'm set towards buying a CRX Si, seeing as they're reliable (?), and are pretty speedy. I'd like a VTEC DOHC, but I know those are hard to find nowadays. I live in the Los Angeles area, by the way. All I know so far is that; one: it absolutely has to have low miles on it unless there was an engine swap, two: if it did have an engine swap, it must have been done by an experienced technician or professional, and three: needs to be atleast an Si, because the HFs and DXs seem underpowered. Am I correct with all this so far? It's not like I'm gonna turn this thing into a racer, I just want a fun car to drive around.
I've pretty much only looked at Hondas, because my Dad says they're the most reliable. Any suggestions on things to watch out for when buying, or basically any other car i should look into?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by odds : 08-21-2005 at 05:27 PM.
odds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Well stay away from the General Motors Quad 4 engine

But as far as Hondas go, a CRX is a great choice. However, people like to put crazy prices on them now days because of the import tuner scene. So it would be hard to find one for $3,000. Three grand is actually probably more the price range for a CRX HF or DX sadly. An Si will run you $5,000 and above!

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
odds
CF Newbie

Actually, we've been looking in AutoTrader and Recycler and have been finding nice Si's for under $2000.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #4
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds
Actually, we've been looking in AutoTrader and Recycler and have been finding nice Si's for under $2000.

well done on that, enjoy your time with a CRX Si, they're great fun to drive i'd know, my mate dave had one as his first car for about six months and then upgraded to an R32 GTS-t.

anyway, if you can find one then i'd highly recommend that you take it, they honestly are a great car to own and drive daily, especially a manual (that's all they come in i think?).

keep your eye out for one, i'm sure you'll find one for a good price eventually.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
odds
CF Newbie

Thanks HyundaGuy, we're still looking for the best deal.
Lots of people swap some odd engines into 'em; I find it pretty funny. Yesterday, I saw a CRX on eBay with an Integra VTEC 1.8L engine in it. Damn, and it was only $2500. I don't want a race car, though, so I didn't bid.
Are there any other cars I should be considering that are like the CRX?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
HyundaGuy

Quote:
Lots of people swap some odd engines into 'em; I find it pretty funny. Yesterday, I saw a CRX on eBay with an Integra VTEC 1.8L engine in it. Damn, and it was only $2500. I don't want a race car, though, so I didn't bid.

first up, a CRX with a B18C is a ****ing nasty deal, you should of taken it and sold it for a shyt load more!

second up, CRX's have had the whole K20C swap in from the DC5 integra/RSX which do some crazy things to it, like making it fast as ****

third up, depending on what you want, EXACTLY what you want, depends on the vehicles that can be recommened.

Example: Forced Induction or N/A?, what type of drivetrain (FWD, RWD, MR, AWD etc...), Handling or straight line? acceleration or top speed?

you want a decent car for every day usage, then i'd suggest a Honda Civic CXi, they're bloody good cars for first time users, great on fuel economy and fun to drive.

also, Hyundai Excel's are great for everything that i've suggested on the Civic CXi.

depending on what you want a car for, what type of car you want and/or what you intend to do with it performance/cosmetic's wise, depends on what we can give to offer.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
odds
CF Newbie

Well, it's obviously not going to be a racecar, so I don't need a crazy B18C. With the Civic CXi, around how much do those cost? And, do they look sweet?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Well, it's obviously not going to be a racecar, so I don't need a crazy B18C. With the Civic CXi, around how much do those cost? And, do they look sweet?
IMO, the CRX is ugly, but light as ****!!! Thier untouchable with the right setup. The CXI looks like the JDM EK9. Pretty sweet, but I'm not sure if you can find one within your price range. You could always find an EG-6 for $3500. I personally havent seen an EK9 for under $5000.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 AM   #9
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Try looking into some older Volkswagen Golf GTIs Or possibly a Ford Focus ZX3? That might be a little out of your range though.

How can you resist that?

Old 08-15-2005, 03:59 AM   #10
odds
CF Newbie

Like this...
/buy CRX Si
Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

I don't know what price ranges on the west coast are but on the east coast you can easily find and early to mid 90's Civic or Accord

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Well stay away from the General Motors Quad 4 engine

Hey! My first car was a '95 Grand Am with the last year of the Quad 4 and I loved that car. Never gave me any trouble while I drove it (from 60k-75k at around 7/9 years old). I miss it. We sold it when my mom got her newer Miata. The green metallic paint was still beautifully shiny after 10 years. It did start giving us trouble though around 80k but before that there was virtually no maintenence needed (gas, oil, batteries,tires and A/C once). What's so great about Zetec? j/k.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE
Hey! My first car was a '95 Grand Am with the last year of the Quad 4 and I loved that car. Never gave me any trouble while I drove it (from 60k-75k at around 7/9 years old). I miss it. We sold it when my mom got her newer Miata. The green metallic paint was still beautifully shiny after 10 years. It did start giving us trouble though around 80k but before that there was virtually no maintenence needed (gas, oil, batteries,tires and A/C once). What's so great about Zetec? j/k.
See, it started giving you trouble around 80k Dont dis the ZeTec. That little engine is very reliable, very quick, and somewhat easy to make run low 13s to mid 12s in the quarter mile.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #14
HyundaGuy

for a decent first car, i'd suggest a Mazda 323 Familia, either a GT, GT-X or GT-R, obviously they're all different models, GT = non turbo, 140hp, GT-X = turbo, 180hp, GT-R = larger turbo and fmic, 207hp.

also, a '84 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo is a great choice, even though they've only got a SOHC E15ET engine, they're still capable of 200kw or so, since they're so light, 200kw in a car like that would make it a street demon. stock i believe they've got 97kw (around 130hp) and they can be upgraded easily (universal fmic, exhaust, intake) to take them to about 150hp... then just raise the boost 5lbs and watch her fly!

Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 AM   #15
ferrariman666
CF Newbie

stay away from hondas