Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Windshield crack repair product?

does anyone know of this product that claims to be able to seal and repair windshield cracks, to the point that they're not visible? I got another crack on my windshield, I'd like to try to repair before giving in and replacing. Any thoughts?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
does anyone know of this product that claims to be able to seal and repair windshield cracks, to the point that they're not visible? I got another crack on my windshield, I'd like to try to repair before giving in and replacing. Any thoughts?

my thought is that if the windshield is cracked, you're probably SOL - I know that stone chip repairs are still somewhat dangerous, and that during repair they can actually spiderweb. I've never heard of any product to repair cracks, the only thing I could think of is to bite the bullet and replace the windshield....
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Zderad
CF Newbie

Is the crack through both pieces of glass?

If So time to get a new one sorry man.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
JaneiR36
CF Freak

both pieces of glass? Thought the windshield was just one piece.

I already had a long crack on the windshield before. ALL across it. When we called around trying to figure out how much to replace, it was $100 (cheapest) for the windshield, but they don't help you install. So I'd have to pay more for installation somewhere else totalling maybe $150 at the cheapest for everything. Finally, a mechanic told my Mom that unless there's a second crack and they intersect, it's not really a problem. You can drive for a year, six months, two years, whatever until it gets worse and you absolutely have to replace.

The crack I have is such a fine crack. You can barely see it and its not straight across, either. It's almost a semi-circle with some curly squiggly things it does at the end. Almost like a work of art.

But I saw an infomercial on TV before talking about use this product and it'll repair cracks in your glass. Was wondering if anyone saw it. At this point, I could use the name of the product and then try to see if anyone has posted reviews anywhere online.

I haven't googgled it yet so I'll do that later.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Zderad
CF Newbie

A windsheild is made of a couple layers of glass.

Gently Run you finger over the crack if you th ebump on both sides ie the outside and the inside of the care then it needs to be replaced, if you can only feel it on the out lides then it is correct that it could be fine for years.

How cold does it get where you live? This could effect the crack.

Do you have to take the care through an inspection? The crack can cause you to fail in some places.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I've heard some clear nailpolish right on top of the crack will help keep it from spidering out.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
JaneiR36
CF Freak

It gets pretty cold in Central Illinois, but we do not have to do an inspection to renew our titles or anything. Not even emissions testing... hehe... had to be one benefit to living in the middle of nowhere

If I had to guess, the original crack probably goes through both but the second one seems finer. Why replace if it goes through both? I know I haven't had water seep into the car or anything since it's been cracked for almost two years now.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
The Conqueror
CF Newbie

just about every car i have ever owned has had a crack in it at one point or another. Mine always got worse in the summer. Windows up and 100+ heat in the cab would put too much pressure on the crack and they would get longer and longer and longer. Out here in Pa as long as the crack is on the passenger side you don't have to replace the glass for inspection, but seeing how that is not an issue for you i would suggest just getting used to the crack and replace it when either it annoys you too much, you come into some extra loot or the crack gets so bad your winshield collapses (unlikely).
1978 Honda Hawk 400

sadly none of them have made my penis and bigger.
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
JaneiR36
CF Freak

ha! I'm glad the last condition is unlikely 'cos that would be my only motivator!

Strangely enough, I cannot feel anything on both sides of the long crack across the windshield, but I can feel a little roughness on the hairline crack on the outside (not the inside). Weird, huh?

hey Talonchick, I missed the tip on clear polish! Wow.. I haven't used that in Gawd knows how long... hey, wouldn't it leave the windshield smudged or anything?

Last edited by JaneiR36 : 09-20-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:07 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well, in my opinion, if it's a small star and like they said not through both layers then i would get the glass guys to fill it asap, but if it is line of sight where sun might reflect in your eye, or the crack starts spreading pretty far, i feel alot safer with a new windshield, it really sucks when a semi tosses a rock and it makes it all the way through the window, throwing galass into my eyes, and my coffee...the eyes i can clean but the coffee....how saddening
Old 09-20-2005, 03:17 AM   #11
JaneiR36
CF Freak

You are one sick, twisted mofo
Old 09-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well i only realized the glass made it in the cup after i was done drinking and looked down...then i just waited for the blood in the stool...lol now thats sick
Old 09-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Surely, this really didn't happen, did it, Mr. Canada?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:14 AM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

damn if youre worried about that crack, you should see my windshield...ill have to take a pic tomorrow....nice big spiderweb lmao driven it that way for three years.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

I had a small crack coming from the left and shooting out to the lower left side of the stering wheel or so. The crack started to point down so what I did was go on the outside of the windshield and press fairly hard on either side of the crack guiding it to the bottom. It shot all the way down to the bottom and has been like that for over a year now. it has never come back up or branched off.

I was told if you can do that and get it to hit the bottom it will never get bigger. Seems to be true so far
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote