Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2005, 05:15 AM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I'm no graet fan of the current TT...IMO...The new one looks no better, although I'm liking Audi's new grille that they have gone for!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #32
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan

ChrisV: I dont constantly block out Fords. I simply dont like them as much as other cars.

fair enough. But that's differnt than "I hate Fords."

Quote:
I dont like Focus's for several reasons (the primary one being that one rolled when the editor of Automobile was driving it= one of the best drivers (or one who drives often, and for a job) cant control it when doing simple driving;

Something was wrong, as most editors have commented on how well they handle. Considering no one has rolled them in autocross, even pushing them hard, I'd say he either did something extremely wrong, caught a wheel on something causing a tripping event (and I've seen enough Subaru rally cars do that), or it was a fluke. In any case, I simply cannot blame the car, and you shouldn't either.

I've never seen one CLOSE to rolling over in hard maneuvering, and I've driven a regional championship wining stock class Focus... In fact, it was this car, owned by Mike Snyder:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

I have no clue what happened. All I know is that he (and the head photographer) rolled into a ditch infront of a church.

I personally did not find anything amazing about their handling or acceleration characteristics. (Of course, that was a ZTS, maybe the ZX3 is better.)

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
I have no clue what happened. All I know is that he (and the head photographer) rolled into a ditch infront of a church.

I personally did not find anything amazing about their handling or acceleration characteristics. (Of course, that was a ZTS, maybe the ZX3 is better.)

The ZTS is different. But as all the reviews have found (and I agree, after driving so many cars on teh track):

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=3219

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=4

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longt...5/page025.html

Quote:
A logbook entry by Senior Road Test Editor Brent Romans in September 2000:

The ZX3 has all the typical versatility of a small hatchback. You know, haul the groceries, park at the mall to see a movie, stuff like that. But what you don't expect is how Ford has made the car fun to drive.

Written early in our long-termer's stay, this sentiment was shared by virtually everyone on staff by the time the ZX3's lease was up. Credit is due to the car's quick, fluid steering setup and a suspension (MacPherson struts in front and a multilink rear) that finds a pleasant balance between highway comfort and agility around corners and curves.

The sporty handling has always been a favorite of reviewers worldwide, and mentioned in all the magazines regardless of model being reviewed. And from what I've found in person, they've been spot on in that assesment.

I'm trying to find reference for that Automobile magazine incedent...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #35
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
I know that man. I did not remember the name of the damn system... you obviously could tell what I meant.

LOL sorry man, I just assumed I guess. Oh well, at least a noob or 3 will learn something today, right?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:30 PM   #36
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I just stumbled upon this pic of the next-gen TT.http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...40206144715147 Sure it'll be bigger and have more power blah blah, but the thing in this pic is just UGLY. Why must such a beautiful car be turned into THAT thing?!?! I know it reflects all the other new Audis, but the other new ones are somewhat good-looking, this thing is just plain ugly. What do you think?

Looks like they stole some nasty styling headlights form BMW...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #37
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast

well... I never liked the TT, to slow for the price, but i did like it's styling, and the name, (my initials ) the new one looks ugly, i dont think i like it at all, in fact i know i dont like it at all.

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #38
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Chris: After what you posted I expect that the ZTS wont handle as well as a ZX3. As to the Automobile thing: I dont remember when it happened. I think atleast a year ago. I dont remember it having its own article, but it was in the editor's section... Ill look.

10 min later...
Here it is, off the Automobile website: http://www.automobilemag.com/columns...sip/index.html.
I was wrong it was a SVT Focus.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #39
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Looks like they stole some nasty styling headlights form BMW...
HEY you just tryin to start a flame war with me.....I'm tellin mommy!!!!
Well I guess I see your point, but BMW makes them look good.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #40
Gizmo
CF Newbie

Quote:
but the thing in this pic is just UGLY.

I think the TT isn't that ugly. It has some nice features but it's not the best looking car ever.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #41
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
HEY you just tryin to start a flame war with me.....I'm tellin mommy!!!!
Well I guess I see your point, but BMW makes them look good.

Eh, the new 5 series headlights look awful. The new 3 series headlights work well.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:29 AM   #42
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Eh, the new 5 series headlights look awful. The new 3 series headlights work well.

i hate the new 5-series headlights. but the 3's headlights...work. I still don't love them (i still prefer the older styles), but they work.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #43
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
10 min later...
Here it is, off the Automobile website: http://www.automobilemag.com/columns...sip/index.html.
I was wrong it was a SVT Focus.

THat article is very enlightening if you actually READ it. The driver lost control, went into a ditch, and roled the car when it hit the soft dirt.

"We slid over the bank of the ditch, the front wheel dug in, and I'll be damned if that car didn't flip right over onto its roof into the ditch."

Now, read this:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/rollover.htm

"Most rollovers result from the vehicle leaving the roadway and tripping. While unfortunate (and all too often tragic), the causes of tripped rollover are well understood. Any vehicle will roll over if it impacts a suitable tripping mechanism with sufficient lateral velocity."

The fact is that over 4000 people are killed each year in passenger car rolovers in the US (this does not include SUVs or light trucks, mind you, of which about 2500 of each have fatal rollovers annually). Many, many sports cars rollover. Supras, Corvettes Ferraris. If you get out of control and slide into a ditch or the median, you're very likely to roll over from that tripping event. Over 200,000 people are in rollover accidents annually in the US, and well over half of them ar passenger cars.

If the Focus had rolled while simple executing a hard turn, you could blame the car. But as it is, it's just a typical tripping event causing a rollover.

This is one ot the things that bugs me about so many supposed car enthusiasts. People hear one thing and think they know enough to form a solid opinion. You read about a Focus rolling over, and you think "bad cars. I'll stay away from them."

Yet I can give you similar stories and pictures for all sorts of cars, from Toyotas to Ferraris.

That last is a Corvette. here's an M3...

ANY car can roll over easily if it hits the dirt sideways. Disliking one because you read a journalist rolled it is just silly.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #44
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Why did you have to show an Integra?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #45
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Or the M....I almost cried.