Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
WhiteMike
CF Newbie

How to test Ignition Control Module

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to test an ICM on a '92 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the 3.1L engine. I know it says how to do it in the Haynes manual but I recently moved out into the country, Brookshire, TX, and left the damn manual at my dad's house. I have replaced the ignition control module before and its under warranty, but I'm hoping its still good as its only a little over a year old.

I tested the suspected coil pack and it shows dead/closed so I'm having my stepdad pick me up one today while he is in town. I would like to make sure the ICM is still good but forgot how I figured it out last time. Can't remeber if I did it with a test light or with the multimeter. I know if I had the manual its in there, I'm just too short on cash to buy another one. It's a pita to get to the auto parts store or a library and I am stuck at home all day with no car untill I get this fixed.

If this is not the type of question I should be asking here, since the info is in the manual, I apologize beforehand. Thanks for you time.

Edit: Fixed a horribly long run-on.
WhiteMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
WhiteMike
CF Newbie

I forgot to mention, it has an automatic transmission and is front wheell drive.

Last edited by WhiteMike : 08-16-2005 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Brain Fart
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800ec6b0.jsp

By the way that should have the complete manual on there for future reference and it's free.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i would be checkin the crank sensor also, if crank sensor fails, no start, and if youve already replaced the module it is most likely not that(could be but 9 outa 10 it wont be) check the wiring to the crank sensor also, they updated the module position on the buick regal 3.8 because of heat issues, like your car they mount the coils and module right on the block, good luck.

p.s crank sensors are cheap if you dont know how to test it just buy a new one
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
WhiteMike
CF Newbie

Thanks for the advice and help guys. Turned out to just be one coil pack. Funny thing is it is in the same spot(middle) on the ignition control module that quit working before. She's up at running as of 30 minutes ago. I think its pretty dumb to have it mounted directly to the engine block and both times I have had this problem the car was being driven hard. I personally think heat is the issue but the car does have 130k miles on it and I saw others having the same problems at that milage; at least what I saw from today searching on the net. All that being said, thanks again for the help, I was so glad when the ICM tested ok.

BTW 97Talonchik you>me when it comes to the autozone site, I spent over an hour there today and never found that page, thanks a ton

Sincerly,
Mike

Last edited by WhiteMike : 08-17-2005 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Well, I'm glad you atleast got it fixed.

That link should have taken you to the diagnosis and testing of the DIS. Odd.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
WhiteMike
CF Newbie

Oh, the link worked fine =) I meant I was there for an hour previously and never found that page. It helped me for shure
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
onlyspeedmotors
CF Newbie

icm

to test it with out test light and mutimeter take one coil and switch it if the coil that you switched it good that mean that the icm is good the coil pack it bad if the coil that you switch doesn't work that mean's that the icm is bad.