Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Kris
CF Newbie

Question Oxygen sensor

Hi, well my engine check lit up again and i found out its the oxygen sensor. Is this a big deal really or do I need to go replace it ASAP. Also can someone tell me what it does also? And please dont say it sensces oxygen lol. Thanks in advance.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
Hi, well my engine check lit up again and i found out its the oxygen sensor. Is this a big deal really or do I need to go replace it ASAP. Also can someone tell me what it does also? And please dont say it sensces oxygen lol. Thanks in advance.

whats the make and model of car engine size
with a screwed up o2 sensor you run the risk of screwing up the catalytic converter
the o2 sensor monitors the exhaust for lean or rich exhaust and send the info to the ecm for adjustment on the fuel/air mix(opening time for the injectors)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Kris
CF Newbie

My, car is a 1997 Eagle Vision ESI. The engine size is 3.5 liter V-6. I have 110,000 miles through the car.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
My, car is a 1997 Eagle Vision ESI. The engine size is 3.5 liter V-6. I have 110,000 miles through the car.

ok check the attached pic for location of the o2 sensor's need to figure out which ones bad or recommended replace both as they would have 110,000 mile on them

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
whats the make and model of car engine size
with a screwed up o2 sensor you run the risk of screwing up the catalytic converter
the o2 sensor monitors the exhaust for lean or rich exhaust and send the info to the ecm for adjustment on the fuel/air mix(opening time for the injectors)
Couldnt of said it better myself, does that have an upstream and downstream sensor?... also you'll get slightly better fuel economy with a new one
Old 08-18-2005, 02:06 AM   #6
Kris
CF Newbie

If the oxygen sonsor does need to be replaced do you think i can give it a little more life maybey if i clean it so it maybey works a little better. These things are 65 dollars here, and i was wondering if i can fix it.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #7
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
If the oxygen sonsor does need to be replaced do you think i can give it a little more life maybey if i clean it so it maybey works a little better. These things are 65 dollars here, and i was wondering if i can fix it.

no you cant clean them take a look at the pic attached
did you shop around dealer and parts stores
replaced two on a 95 neon upstream(front of converter) and downstream(behind converter) the front one was 125.00 at the dealer and 89.99 at parts store the rear one was cheaper at the dealer by 10.00 so i got both at the parts store and saved a little

my new toy

Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

also i believe u need a special socket/wrench/crows foot, to get the new sensor tight lol i couldnt remember what the tool was called