Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
6000LE
Banned

Exclamation Cleaning Oxidized Headlights

As some of you may know, the headlights on the Dodge Neon among other cars get oxidized. I have the 1998 Dodge Neon sport
I want to install HID Bulbs, but I dont want to waste the money without having clear headlights.
Any Suggestions?
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

buy new ones! like you said, it happens to just about every car now days. i work at a salvage yard and its hard to come by one that isnt hazed over. try aftermarket companies. they list at the dealer for about $160 each, new aftermarket lights are about $100 each.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
As some of you may know, the headlights on the Dodge Neon among other cars get oxidized. I have the 1998 Dodge Neon sport
I want to install HID Bulbs, but I dont want to waste the money without having clear headlights.
Any Suggestions?

they do sell polish kits but if its inside the lense then you have to try and get it apart or replace them as was posted above

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
6000LE
Banned

the only reason i want to do this is becuase i want the HID lights. if i wont do it i just found the eyelids. they are not plastic, but they are a vynil sticker. is that good too? theyre on ebay for 15 dollars.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
the only reason i want to do this is becuase i want the HID lights. if i wont do it i just found the eyelids. they are not plastic, but they are a vynil sticker. is that good too? theyre on ebay for 15 dollars.

eyelids make you car look ricey, but its your car. you can still put HID lights in your car but they wont be as bright as they would be with clearer lenses
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Any Suggestions?
Buy some Imperial cleaner. I dont know if youve ever heard of the stuff, but it should strip it right off. Its almost the equivilent of gasoline.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Buy some Imperial cleaner. I dont know if youve ever heard of the stuff, but it should strip it right off. Its almost the equivilent of gasoline.
would pep boys carry this kinda tihng
why dont i just use like laquer thinner. kerosene? i have gasoline in my lawnmower i can dip a rag in there and just wipe it. they will never be crystal clear tho. look at the pix of the car when its new.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

If the haze is on the inside of the headlight, your going to have to open it up to clean it. The only way to do this is to pop ur headlight in the oven, bake it untill the glue (between the glass part of the lense and the plastic) melts, remove the glass from the plastic, clean it or sand it whatever floats your boat. When your done, you have to heat them up again to get the glue all goo-e and stick them back together.