Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
silvia_star
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 221
fmic?

is it bad if water gets in it? like if it was raining and water got in it? and what about snow? what if snow got into the intercooler?
silvia_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race
 
HyundaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia_star
is it bad if water gets in it? like if it was raining and water got in it? and what about snow? what if snow got into the intercooler?

some companys make wet shot ic's.

i believe subaru make a wet nos shot fmic.
__________________



If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
get into the IC as in..... u have the intercooler out of the car and it got wet? or its mounted into the car already? u know, intercoolers dont suck air through the fins if thats wat ur thinking....... turbos feed them the air, which is sucked through the air filter.....
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
silvia_star
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 221
what i mean is if the intercooler was up front. what if water gets into the front mount intercooler? is that bad? can water get in there?
silvia_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
No, it won't hurt it.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast
 
Slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orinda, CA
Posts: 126
"ont hurt it" thats wat chrisv said so it must be right
__________________
13 years old

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot
"ont hurt it" thats wat chrisv said so it must be right


Have you ever washed down your engine compartment and got water on the radiator? Did it hurt it? An intercooler is the same basic thing, made of similar materials.

Now, getting it packed with snow might keep air from flowing back to the radiator, which might be bad as lack of airflow can cause the car to overheat, but it can't hurt the FMIC.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast
 
Slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orinda, CA
Posts: 126
where u talking 2 me? i dont wash intercoolers, im 13.
__________________
13 years old

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
silvia_star
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Have you ever washed down your engine compartment and got water on the radiator? Did it hurt it? An intercooler is the same basic thing, made of similar materials.

Now, getting it packed with snow might keep air from flowing back to the radiator, which might be bad as lack of airflow can cause the car to overheat, but it can't hurt the FMIC.

but wouldnt water get into the engine? since the intercooler pipe is hooked up to the intake manifold? or is there some kind of bypass in the intercooler?
silvia_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia_star
but wouldnt water get into the engine? since the intercooler pipe is hooked up to the intake manifold? or is there some kind of bypass in the intercooler?

The piping is all sealed, the water hits the pipe and bounces off.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.