Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #16
Oomba
Banned
 
Oomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,137
American cars are perfectly reliable.

The All-Trac Celica makes 200 horsepower. I would hope thats enough for a stock vehicle.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
American cars are perfectly reliable.

The All-Trac Celica makes 200 horsepower. I would hope thats enough for a stock vehicle.
Those are incredibly hard to find, and one for under 3k would be a damn miracle
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:55 PM   #18
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Those are incredibly hard to find, and one for under 3k would be a damn miracle
Actually i've seen 2 around here for under $3,000 (one was $2,500 obo) but had kinda higher mileage.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #19
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Actually i've seen 2 around here for under $3,000 (one was $2,500 obo) but had kinda higher mileage.
Around here you never see that. All the tuners have taken them and realize they cant pay for them so turn around and sell them for $6000+.
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #20
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
It was just a statement. I wasnt bagging on your car or the 4 cylinder engines, they were just under powered. The V6 is much better. He woul actually be able to find on with a V6 for $3000 or less. I see them all the time.

No he wont...

The V6 model didnt even appear until the 5th model generation (94-97) and even then it didnt come out until the 95 model year in the 5th generation. Even my old 90 LX four banger Accord without the audio equipment could get me around $1750. Even a 95 LX V6 sedan should get $5000 if in good shape. I've never come across any V6 accord under $4000. And the one that was $4000 had 190k miles on it...

Plus the good V6 Accord didnt come until the 6th generation (98-02). Which were the J30 powered versions with 200hp. The 5th gen V6 was C27 powered and had only 170hp. Not a big difference over a EX four banger which had 145hp all through the 5th generation. The big difference came when the J30 V6 came out in 98 and it had 200hp while the four banger (F23) Accord had only 150hp tops. And a 98 V6 Accord isnt anywhere near $3000...
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #21
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy
 
GonnaDie4TheGov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
No he wont...

The V6 model didnt even appear until the 5th model generation (94-97) and even then it didnt come out until the 95 model year in the 5th generation. Even my old 90 LX four banger Accord without the audio equipment could get me around $1750. Even a 95 LX V6 sedan should get $5000 if in good shape. I've never come across any V6 accord under $4000. And the one that was $4000 had 190k miles on it...

Plus the good V6 Accord didnt come until the 6th generation (98-02). Which were the J30 powered versions with 200hp. The 5th gen V6 was C27 powered and had only 170hp. Not a big difference over a EX four banger which had 145hp all through the 5th generation. The big difference came when the J30 V6 came out in 98 and it had 200hp while the four banger (F23) Accord had only 150hp tops. And a 98 V6 Accord isnt anywhere near $3000...

Very very true....i wanted a 98-02 v6 so bad friend of mine has one and everytime i see it i want it
__________________

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #22
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast
 
Slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orinda, CA
Posts: 126
Well... everyone says 2 go 4 the accord, so i think that's what i'm going 2 do.
__________________
13 years old

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #23
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
Well good luck with it!
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #24
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race
 
HyundaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Everyone and their mother has an Accord or a Civic.

And whats wrong with domestics?

If he wants performance mixed with durability, maybe a 2nd gen Supra or a Celica GT would be good.

i have a Hyundai Excel, mum's got a Mazda 626 and dad's got a Ford Falcon, sister has a TA Torana, her boyfriend has a VN Commodore, brother has a VK, VB, VC, VH, VN, VS, VR, VT, VP, VY and soon a VZ Commodore, '94 Supra and a custom made Sil80*1580*.

not a civic in the bunch?
__________________



If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #25
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
1st of all reliablilty is what's wrong with domestics.

You wanna try that again, genious?

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:43 AM   #26
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
He did post in the "Asian Imports" section, so i assume he wants an Asian car, so even though Domestics are perfectly fine, lets just answer the boy.

I'm not sure if you can get a S13 with a SR20 conversion for under 5k. The car itself will cost around 2 grand USD, and the motor/ tranny will probaly cost around 2-3000 dollarsr , and this is without the installation fee. And 2grand is loose, it depends on whether you get the S13, S14 SR20, red top or black top, and of couse mileage.

I would go with the accord as well, maybe 92-94 integra, my cousin owned one; it was pretty damn quick. Back to the accord, the 4 cylinder engines in the accord are extremely reliable, my parents owned a 92 EX-R, never took it to the mechanics once.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #27
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy
 
GonnaDie4TheGov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
He did post in the "Asian Imports" section, so i assume he wants an Asian car, so even though Domestics are perfectly fine, lets just answer the boy.

I'm not sure if you can get a S13 with a SR20 conversion for under 5k. The car itself will cost around 2 grand USD, and the motor/ tranny will probaly cost around 2-3000 dollarsr , and this is without the installation fee. And 2grand is loose, it depends on whether you get the S13, S14 SR20, red top or black top, and of couse mileage.

I would go with the accord as well, maybe 92-94 integra, my cousin owned one; it was pretty damn quick. Back to the accord, the 4 cylinder engines in the accord are extremely reliable, my parents owned a 92 EX-R, never took it to the mechanics once.

my accord is a 96 and besides a few minor things like the egr valve going its all 100% original parts. Nothing has gone wrong with and and it doesn't look like anything will in the near future. I am seriously not worried that something will go just b/c its a honda lol
__________________

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #28
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
You wanna try that again, genious?


Sure... Allow me to refraise. Imports last longer/are more reliable than Domestics. It's not that American made automobiles are not reliable, its that they're less reliable than their Japanese counterparts.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #29
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind
 
aerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 541
Well, it depends on when the car was made. Recent Domestics seem to be pretty reliable, but we will not know how they are longterm until 10 years later. But, in the past, the Japanese Imports were more reliable as long as you purchase either Toyota, Honda, or Nissan, the other lesser brands may not be as reliable. At least from my personal experience that is, of course there are many variables and exceptions involved. Although, recently, domestics have made great strides in reliability.

Think about the price range, with 5000 dollars, he is stuck with buying used cars almost a decade old. Considering the age, i would say Japanese imports in that price range age better then most domestics in that class.
__________________


--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #30
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Sure... Allow me to refraise. Imports last longer/are more reliable than Domestics. It's not that American made automobiles are not reliable, its that they're less reliable than their Japanese counterparts.

How many 40 year old Japanese cars you see around you?

Again, I like all cars, but how youcare for a car determines how long it will be around. My '81 Chevy Citation Had 323k miles on it when I gave it away. my CRX always needed some major work...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.