Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
dlong71
CF Newbie

98 Neon Won't Start !!

My car was running just fine Thursday night and Friday morning, the engine would not turn over. There is nothing, no clicking. It is not the battery, I had it checked. All the lights, radio, gauges, etc. are working fine. When I turn the key, nothing. I need this thing running by Monday for work so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dlong71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Needs a new starter.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
SuperJew
I like pie.

sounds like a starter. i'd say fuel pump, but if there's no clicking then that's not it.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong71
My car was running just fine Thursday night and Friday morning, the engine would not turn over. There is nothing, no clicking. It is not the battery, I had it checked. All the lights, radio, gauges, etc. are working fine. When I turn the key, nothing. I need this thing running by Monday for work so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

check your battery cables at the battery connection. the positive will more than likely have green corrosion at the terminal under the cables casing/wire cover this seems to be a problem area that stay hidden till a no start condition happens there are 2 cables one to the starter and one to the fuse box under the hood this is why your lights and other stuff works but no starter or limited amperage/voltage to the starter

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong71

when you turn the key to the "start" position, do the idiot lights go out? if not, (for an automatic) try putting it in neutral and/or moving the shifter around slightly when you turn the key, as you may have a bad neutral safety switch. if the idiot lights go out when you try to crank it, i think that would point towards a bad starter. in that case, try hitting the starter w/ a hammer while having someone turn the key for you. that will give you your confirmation for a bad starter...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
apollo1980
CF Newbie

Two things I can think of.

First (and don't laugh)

pour some soda like coke or pepsi on top of the connectors to the battery. If they are corroded, then they may not be making contact with the battery. The acid in the soda will eat away the rust and conduct electricty.

If it works, later tighten the screws on the connectors to the battery (after you turn the car off, of course. You don't want to be holding a metal screwdriver beside a car battery while it's running).

Second, do you have a security system of any kind in the car? My car had that happen, and it was because the wires inside the steering wheel going to the ignition switch were worn out, and weren't telling the car that the key I had with the correct security chip was authentic. My car wouldn't start because it didn't recognize the key, even though it was legit, and would ignore any key, even if right for 3 minutes as a safety precation to prevent theft.

Good luck.
apollo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
lyonro
CF Newbie

98 Neon Won't Start !!

Mine did the same thing only with no idiot lights. It was the 30 amp starter fuse in the box under the hood.
lyonro is offline   Reply With Quote