Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

2001 Hyundai Accent

About a week and half ago, my check engine light came on. I took it in and it needed plugs and wires. A couple of days ago, the light came back on. Somebody asked me if i twisted the gas cap three times. I said i don't think so. they told me that was probably it.
Could not clicking it three times make the light turn on? My car is running great. Not like the first time the light came on.
My car has almost 94,000 miles on it. I have an appointment for the morning to take it in, but I am just curious of anyone thoughts.
linkinbabe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinbabe21
About a week and half ago, my check engine light came on. I took it in and it needed plugs and wires. A couple of days ago, the light came back on. Somebody asked me if i twisted the gas cap three times. I said i don't think so. they told me that was probably it.
Could not clicking it three times make the light turn on? My car is running great. Not like the first time the light came on.
My car has almost 94,000 miles on it. I have an appointment for the morning to take it in, but I am just curious of anyone thoughts.
Well its probably just some electrical problem. Nothing to worry about. I mean, its a Korean car, what do you want for nothin'?

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

when you say electrical, whats the price range to fix? 100 or like 500? Personally, I think the car is running fine. I would like them to just turn it off. They are already charging me like $60 to look at it. I have had my car for three years. I know when it is not running right. But my luck, it would blow up on me driving down the interstate
Old 08-30-2005, 02:59 AM   #4
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

i used to work at a shop and we got evap check engine lights(loose gas cap) all the time. We'd charge $80 for an hour of diagnostics fees to go out spend five mins hooking up the scanner, clearing the code and twisting the gas cap while we sat around for another 45 mins.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:05 AM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
when you say electrical, whats the price range to fix? 100 or like 500? Personally, I think the car is running fine. I would like them to just turn it off. They are already charging me like $60 to look at it. I have had my car for three years. I know when it is not running right. But my luck, it would blow up on me driving down the interstate
By electrial I just mean the wiring behind your gauge cluster. It should be fairly cheap I would think....

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:07 AM   #6
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

Ok...well no offense, but I didn't really want to hear that. Although, I am not surprised. They charge like $54 an hour.
I already have gotten gas since then and the light did not come off. So could that rule out the problem?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok...well no offense, but I didn't really want to hear that. Although, I am not surprised. They charge like $54 an hour.
I already have gotten gas since then and the light did not come off. So could that rule out the problem?
well sometimes the ecu will reset it self after a complete drive cycle(different for every car so call your dealer) and sometimes they need to be reset manually. the shop you took it to should have written down the codes or given you a print out out what they found in order to justify new wires. if not go back and tell them you want them. if they refuse make some noise, talk to a manager, etc. Usually they will resolve the problem just to keep other customers from overhearing the situation. Anyways after you get the codes (usually a letter and three numbers like P001) post and we'll figure out where your problem could be coming from.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

Here's the deal. The first time the light came on, it was like 6:30 am. So I took it to Tires Plus because they opened at 7:30 and I didn't want to drive it very far. My car would run fine, until I took my foot off the gas. I take my car there to get oil changes anyway. They got the codes. But the price was too high for my budget. So I called another place who does my other work. I gave them the codes, what I needed. They fixed it. My car ran like new after that.
Then a few days ago, the light came back on. I turned a corner and it came on. Drivewise, it was driving like it had been after I got it fixed. I drove it all weekend and it didnt act up or anything.
So I am hoping that it's because I didn't click the gas cap three times. I always make it a point to do it, for my reasons. I didn't know that I was supposed to. When I was asked if I did it, I really don't think i did.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Here's the deal. The first time the light came on, it was like 6:30 am. So I took it to Tires Plus because they opened at 7:30 and I didn't want to drive it very far. My car would run fine, until I took my foot off the gas. I take my car there to get oil changes anyway. They got the codes. But the price was too high for my budget. So I called another place who does my other work. I gave them the codes, what I needed. They fixed it. My car ran like new after that.
Then a few days ago, the light came back on. I turned a corner and it came on. Drivewise, it was driving like it had been after I got it fixed. I drove it all weekend and it didnt act up or anything.
So I am hoping that it's because I didn't click the gas cap three times. I always make it a point to do it, for my reasons. I didn't know that I was supposed to. When I was asked if I did it, I really don't think i did.

if you think it is the gas cap try disconnecting the battery for about an hour, this should reset the computer entirely. After that drive the car for about 45 mins to go through that drive cycle i was talking about. It's just various checkpoint your computer will go through, like GM's have a checkpoint that requires you to accel to 55mph then coast for a certain distance. Make sure you do both stop and go driving and highway driving as well. If the light comes on again you'll need to take it back to the shop, hopefully this will take care of it though. goodluck
Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:

Not too long after i got my car my light came on and i took it to my mechanic. He told me it was my egr valve so i went and got it replaced. About a week later my light came back on. My car is still running jsut as well and there are no apparent problems. So im waiting for school to start back up so my friend who has autotech can run a dianogistics for free.

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #11
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

Hey guys. Thanks for your help. I took my car in the other day to get looked at. The code is P0133. I was told that I need a new oxygen sensor. Could it be that I didn't click the gas cap three times or whatever?

My light is still on. I was told that with labor, it would be about $120. I thought that was good because instead of charging me the $60 to just look at it, he only charged me about $30, because it only took him about a half hour.

In an earlier post, someone had mentioned unplugging my battery for an hour. After the hour, take it for a drive. I am at work and someone told me that they will disconnect for me. Do I have to drive it right away?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Hey guys. Thanks for your help. I took my car in the other day to get looked at. The code is P0133. I was told that I need a new oxygen sensor. Could it be that I didn't click the gas cap three times or whatever?

My light is still on. I was told that with labor, it would be about $120. I thought that was good because instead of charging me the $60 to just look at it, he only charged me about $30, because it only took him about a half hour.

In an earlier post, someone had mentioned unplugging my battery for an hour. After the hour, take it for a drive. I am at work and someone told me that they will disconnect for me. Do I have to drive it right away?

An O2 sensor runs about $60-$100. 90% of smaller cars have 2, one before and one after the Catalytic Converter. Don't let them charge you too much to install them..they are fairly easy to find and install. Worse come to worse Autozone.com tells you componet locations on your car.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 AM   #13
linkinbabe21
CF Newbie

Went to Autozone.com. I tried to looked under the component location. Here's what I got when I clicked on Oxygen Sensor. They already have what kindof car I have.

Sorry, no component locations were found that matched your search

Does that mean that I don't have one? I am just getting frustrated. I don't have the money to fix it. He told me that I can wait to have it fixed but I might use more gas. This is not a good time to be using more gas.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #14
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Went to Autozone.com. I tried to looked under the component location. Here's what I got when I clicked on Oxygen Sensor. They already have what kindof car I have.

Sorry, no component locations were found that matched your search

Does that mean that I don't have one? I am just getting frustrated. I don't have the money to fix it. He told me that I can wait to have it fixed but I might use more gas. This is not a good time to be using more gas.

No every car is required to have one. It has to do with emissions. Your mechanic can prob show you where they are. You car im sure gets good mpg no matter on whether thats working or not. Lucky you i have to have mine fixed by 30th of September..damn state inspections. And my car has 3 of them.