Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
dieagonien
CF Newbie

Question rb20det into a USA spec car

Hey all i am a military member based in japan and i am looking to bring a rb20det or a rb25det engine back with me and i am looking for a car that is sold in the USA that i can drop the powerplant into. Perferabley a car that can take the engine easy and not require a ass load of body or doghouse mods to get the engine to fit. I am a old muscle car freak (1965-1973) so i am kinda slow in the newer car area. I have a 1989 nissan skyline gts-t so it has helped me a bit so basically what i am saying is HELP.
dieagonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

unless that RB20DET is worked quite heavily, i'd suggest you look at a larger engine like a VQ30/35DE/DET/DETT.

or even an RB26DETT and stroking it with a 400cc stroker kit.

a smaller, 2ltr, I6 wont be able to hold it's own in a heavy american car, basically, go for displacement and japanese power.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

lot's of people are shipping SR20DET motors over and putting them in Nissan 240sx'. With an mildtune upgraded boost controller,bov,and exhaust you'd have youself a fun little drift car
Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
Vlad
CF Addict

True. In fact I know someone thats about to do that sometime soon, if he gets around to it. I'll tell you guys how it drives if he gets it done.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
relicensed
CF Enthusiast

I don't know what it's called in america but I'm sure you must have it, the holden (pontiac) "vl" mid eighties commadore made a version for a couple of years with the rb20det standard. They later dropped it as they didn't listen to the jap engineers when told their standard gearbox wasn't strong enough and the cars had problems constantly. If you could find one of these you wouldn't have too much of a job dropping an rb26dett in with some firewall and floor pan engineering. You will know how cheap it is to pick up an engine and also how cheap to find a decent g/box too being in japan. You may find it a smarter bet all round though to just pick up an old godzilla for next to nothing and use the whole car as a donor for whatever project you decide on. I've seen r32 gtr's going for $7000usd on car yards in japan, go to one of the auctions and you might find a decent one for a couple grand less, especialy if you go to the damaged auctions. No point finding a grade 4 or 5 for a donor car.

You would find even cheaper and easyer an old supra motor from the lexus gs300/ toyota aristo. 3jz-gte and rb26dett are proven over and over as the tuning engine of choice throughout japan and most of the world.

I hope you have fun with whatever you decide.
relicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Oomba
Banned

Put a VQ30DETT into a Z.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Put a VQ30DETT into a Z.

No such production engine.

Maybe you mean VG30DETT. Which is what comes out of the 90-98 300zxtt

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieagonien
Hey all i am a military member based in japan and i am looking to bring a rb20det or a rb25det engine back with me and i am looking for a car that is sold in the USA that i can drop the powerplant into. Perferabley a car that can take the engine easy and not require a ass load of body or doghouse mods to get the engine to fit. I am a old muscle car freak (1965-1973) so i am kinda slow in the newer car area. I have a 1989 nissan skyline gts-t so it has helped me a bit so basically what i am saying is HELP.

Most people drop in SR20DET's in 240SX's. But a RB20DET will fit with some medium level modifications. Honestly the SR20DET is a much better idea, it's a lot lighter, easier to swap in and has just as much power.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote