Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
therealrameth
CF Newbie

Question Driving in Neutral

Hello,
I drive an automatic 95 Toyota Corrolla. I drive a lot on roads with many traffic lights. Would I get noticable better gas milage if i put the car on neutral whenever I am not pushing the gas? For example, if there is a red light pretty far ahead, can i put the car in neutral and let it coast until the light and put it back on drive when the light goes green? What about on a downhill road where i dont need to press the gas?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrameth
Hello,
I drive an automatic 95 Toyota Corrolla. I drive a lot on roads with many traffic lights. Would I get noticable better gas milage if i put the car on neutral whenever I am not pushing the gas? For example, if there is a red light pretty far ahead, can i put the car in neutral and let it coast until the light and put it back on drive when the light goes green? What about on a downhill road where i dont need to press the gas?

when going downhill I think it might save a very small amount of fuel (depending on the hill size of course). But on the actual road, I think it would only help you **** up your transmission. What say you VWhobo?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 AM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

though im not vwhobo, i think it might save on a little bit of gas, because you'll be running at a lower RPM (idle) if your not pressing the gas, compared to when you're driving, the RPMs will be up a little higher, so itle probably save some gass, probably not to much of a noticable amount. and i dont think it will hurt the tranny to much if anything
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

Old 02-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
though im not vwhobo, i think it might save on a little bit of gas, because you'll be running at a lower RPM (idle) if your not pressing the gas, compared to when you're driving, the RPMs will be up a little higher, so itle probably save some gass, probably not to much of a noticable amount. and i dont think it will hurt the tranny to much if anything

well, if he throws it into nuetral because he sees a red light ahead and starts coasting to the light, and then when he's rolling the light turns green, he's going to have to shift back into drive. If the RPMs are up more than idle, over time, it will eventually wear the transmission down too much and it won't be able to take it. I'm just throwing out my opinion and what I think is right. just my

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 02-22-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
medicTA
CF Newbie

You may save a very little amount of gas over time but there are two drawbacks, the constant N-D D-N shifting will equal increased wear, maybe slight but still... the other big factor I see is safety. I drive all day in city traffic and at least a time or two a day someone pulls in front of me at the last second, starts to merge without looking... you need to be in control of your car INSTANTLY, not waiting a second or two for the trans to engage.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

neutral engagment

You all are not very versed in automatic transmissions. One of the worst things you can do to an auto trans is to disengage it from drive range and re-engage while still moving. Based on fluid dynamics, valve body pressures and solenoids you are adding much un-needed wear to the transmission.

On top of the mechanical side of it, ANY-time you disengage the engine from the drivetrain of a vehicle while moving at a good rate of speed, your stability and control of the vehicle is compromised. It is a fact that physics and various law of perpetual motion can explain to you. Why in the world are you contemplating doing this? Are you so financially in the hole that ten cents in gas will determine if you eat tonight or not? God help you, that being the case!

If you actually think about it, in cars that have an automatic transmission, and at speeds where (if equipped) you are not going fast enough to have the "lock-up" torque converter in lock-up, letting off the gas completely will slow the engine back down to idle or close to idle just the same as letting off the gas with the transmission still engaged in range "D." That is what a torque converter does, it allows a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission such that when you are not accelerating, you are breaking that direct connection between engine and driveline. It just does it such that the connection is not "hard-broken" (IE...shifter in neutral and totally disconnected) and when you accelerate, it is ready to engage based on fluid pressure, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.

In a manual transmission I see no real wear issues with doing this ONLY if your vehicle is built so that the transmission is being lubricated when in neutral and in motion. Some are not, hence, neutral combined with motion is not a good thing. I argue that in the absence of the above, you are far more likely to lose stability and control of a manual with it in neutral and coasting down the road than in an automatic in the same situation. You all may think that premise sounds crazy, but think of it like this. A vehicle in motion is a combination of many things all encompassing mechanical balance. When a vehicle, be it manual or auto is in motion, the engine and driveline need to be connected because that is the way they were built to be operated. Gas consumption is a mute point as well as totally negligible.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
You all are not very versed in automatic transmissions. One of the worst things you can do to an auto trans is to disengage it from drive range and re-engage while still moving. Based on fluid dynamics, valve body pressures and solenoids you are adding much un-needed wear to the transmission.

On top of the mechanical side of it, ANY-time you disengage the engine from the drivetrain of a vehicle while moving at a good rate of speed, your stability and control of the vehicle is compromised. It is a fact that physics and various law of perpetual motion can explain to you. Why in the world are you contemplating doing this? Are you so financially in the hole that ten cents in gas will determine if you eat tonight or not? God help you, that being the case!

If you actually think about it, in cars that have an automatic transmission, and at speeds where (if equipped) you are not going fast enough to have the "lock-up" torque converter in lock-up, letting off the gas completely will slow the engine back down to idle or close to idle just the same as letting off the gas with the transmission still engaged in range "D." That is what a torque converter does, it allows a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission such that when you are not accelerating, you are breaking that direct connection between engine and driveline. It just does it such that the connection is not "hard-broken" (IE...shifter in neutral and totally disconnected) and when you accelerate, it is ready to engage based on fluid pressure, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.

In a manual transmission I see no real wear issues with doing this ONLY if your vehicle is built so that the transmission is being lubricated when in neutral and in motion. Some are not, hence, neutral combined with motion is not a good thing. I argue that in the absence of the above, you are far more likely to lose stability and control of a manual with it in neutral and coasting down the road than in an automatic in the same situation. You all may think that premise sounds crazy, but think of it like this. A vehicle in motion is a combination of many things all encompassing mechanical balance. When a vehicle, be it manual or auto is in motion, the engine and driveline need to be connected because that is the way they were built to be operated. Gas consumption is a mute point as well as totally negligible.
I'm in full agreement with that, you must NEVER EVER put any car, man or auto into neutral whislt driving as it messes with the transmission. That's why you a recovery man etc will never tow an auto car with the driven wheels on the road surface (dif.lock etc)! Also, from the safety point of view it is dangerous to coast in any vehicle because when driven, the wheels act with you to control the car (the engine acts as a brake on a car) and with no power going to them the car will just gain speed continuously deeming it harder to brake! as for the MPG, I doubt it saves any fuel at all, infact it probably uses more!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-24-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
...and with no power going to them the car will just gain speed continuously deeming it harder to brake!

Is that on the uphill slopes and the flat ground?

Maybe it's just me, but when I put my car into neutral (5spd) it starts to slow down...could just be the thick air here in So. Cal.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrameth
Hello,
Hey Bav, who said anything about coasting up hills lol....do you guys in the States have uneven road surfaces or is it just us here in Sunny England!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Hey Bav, who said anything about coasting up hills lol....do you guys in the States have uneven road surfaces or is it just us here in Sunny England!

Uneven road surfaces? Explain an uneven road surface. Engineering a road can have its ups and downs...as the terrain goes and as is feasible. It is sometimes more cost effective to leave the whoop-dee-doo's in. The problem in England is that pavement has a nap to it...it lays one way. You are all driving against the nap and so this causes more problematic pavement.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Uneven road surfaces? Explain an uneven road surface. Engineering a road can have its ups and downs...as the terrain goes and as is feasible. It is sometimes more cost effective to leave the whoop-dee-doo's in. The problem in England is that pavement has a nap to it...it lays one way. You are all driving against the nap and so this causes more problematic pavement.
You mean a camber? If you do then IMHO it's more logical for guttering reasons! but by uneven I meant ups and downs eg; slight inclines

Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
You mean a camber? If you do then IMHO it's more logical for guttering reasons! but by uneven I meant ups and downs eg; slight inclines

No. The "nap" thing was a joke.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
No. The "nap" thing was a joke.
Sorry Bav...call me a pratt, tosser...Fic Brit bloke, what evr, but I dont get it lol

Old 02-24-2004, 07:16 PM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Sorry Bav...call me a pratt, tosser...Fic Brit bloke, what evr, but I dont get it lol

Isn't it the English (among others) that drive on the "opposite" side of the road?

There is no "nap" to asphalt pavement, per se. But if there was and since England drives on the wrong side of the road...that would be driving against the nap (or grain) of the asphalt and thus cause ripples and uneven-ness.

I don't like having to explain jokes...but it could possibly be that it was only funny in my head.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:24 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Isn't it the English (among others) that drive on the "opposite" side of the road?

There is no "nap" to asphalt pavement, per se. But if there was and since England drives on the wrong side of the road...that would be driving against the nap (or grain) of the asphalt and thus cause ripples and uneven-ness.

I don't like having to explain jokes...but it could possibly be that it was only funny in my head.
lol, I understand fully now and it was probably only funny to you

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-24-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Closed Thread