Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

88 toyota celica st (auto) wont start, has elect pwr

I have owned this car for 13 years and it has served me well. I do keep getting this annoying problem off and on. Today it wont start, wont turn over. All pwer works, lights,wipers,radio,etc. Battery is fine, connections fine.

This has happened many times in the past and usually I will leave the car for an hour or so and come back and it will start right up.

I have tried starting in park and in neutral, jiggled the stick, new starter a year ago(even after the new starter i still had same probs later).

Very frustrating thing. After I finish posting this, it will probably start, but its too late for me to make my appt now

Does anyone have any insight to this?
JAXXBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

You tried to start it while it was in gear??? Or are you talking about a manuel tranny?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
You tried to start it while it was in gear??? Or are you talking about a manuel tranny?

LOL. No, i did not try to start it while it was in gear. Its an automatic and i tried in park and in neutral. I jiggled/shifted thru the gears and back to park just to amke sure the saftey switch wasnt causing the problem.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXXBOSS
LOL. No, i did not try to start it while it was in gear. Its an automatic and i tried in park and in neutral. I jiggled/shifted thru the gears and back to park just to amke sure the saftey switch wasnt causing the problem.

Started to scare the shit outta me there for a second. It sounds kinda like the starter needs to be replaced
Old 06-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Started to scare the shit outta me there for a second. It sounds kinda like the starter needs to be replaced

Naww, the starter is good. Less than a year old. Like I said, the starter was replaced last year and the same thing kept happening. Im thinking the solenoid may be intermitent, but im not sure if that could be it.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Naww, the starter is good. Less than a year old. Like I said, the starter was replaced last year and the same thing kept happening. Im thinking the solenoid may be intermitent, but im not sure if that could be it.

Sorry, didn't see that. My bet would be the solenoid but just wait until the more experienced people here get to this topic
Old 06-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Sorry, didn't see that. My bet would be the solenoid but just wait until the more experienced people here get to this topic

Im not even sure if it could be the solenoid. And it still wont turn over. dead dead. jump starting wont do a thing either.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Im not even sure if it could be the solenoid. And it still wont turn over. dead dead. jump starting wont do a thing either.

Well...just get a new battery...maybe thats it. Sometimes jumpstarting a completely dead battery dosent do it. But then again, you said you were getting power to all your accesories right?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well...just get a new battery...maybe thats it. Sometimes jumpstarting a completely dead battery dosent do it. But then again, you said you were getting power to all your accesories right?

Yep, getting power to all my accesories . This happens every couple weeks or so. Wont crank, nothing. I wait a couple hours and bingo, it starts... but nowww. its not even doing that for me. Maybe a dif problem now, not sure. usually it would have started by now.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Did you check to see if power was getting from the key to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position? How about from the solenoid to the starter itself? If the starter is good, and you have power everywhere else, then either power isn't getting to the solenoid, it isn't getting THROUGH the solenoid, or it's not getting back to the chassis (bad ground connection from the engine to the chassis).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
99integra
CF's Florida boy

^ This is who will help you
Old 06-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Did you check to see if power was getting from the key to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position? How about from the solenoid to the starter itself? If the starter is good, and you have power everywhere else, then either power isn't getting to the solenoid, it isn't getting THROUGH the solenoid, or it's not getting back to the chassis (bad ground connection from the engine to the chassis).

Love that Fiat Spider. I owned one while in Sicily, then bought a funky Fiat x19. lol. Anyway, ill check those connections when my neighbor gets home as I dont have the technical expertise(im stupid) to do it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Quote:
^ This is who will help you

Well, 3 hours later it cranks right up !!!!!! But I really would like to know why it does this as I would like to fix it before i miss another appointment. Should i still go with your recommnedations ChrisV ?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Well, 3 hours later it cranks right up !!!!!! But I really would like to know why it does this as I would like to fix it before i miss another appointment. Should i still go with your recommnedations ChrisV ?

I would stil check all electrical connections, since it isn't heat related. Check teh wiring from the switch to the starter, and in fact, check teh condition of the switch itself.

Mind you this is ONLy if the starter itself isn't bad again (new and rebuilt ones can be bad). But if it's similar symptoms, I'd say it's not at the starter.

And... it could still be the neutral safety switch.

Unfortunately, testing the electrical system when it happens is the only way to know for sure.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 AM   #15
JAXXBOSS
CF Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I would stil check all electrical connections, since it isn't heat related. Check teh wiring from the switch to the starter, and in fact, check teh condition of the switch itself.

Mind you this is ONLy if the starter itself isn't bad again (new and rebuilt ones can be bad). But if it's similar symptoms, I'd say it's not at the starter.

And... it could still be the neutral safety switch.

Unfortunately, testing the electrical system when it happens is the only way to know for sure.

Well, new starter installed, will see what happens and how long it takes to do it again