FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #16
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
lol, I understand fully now and it was probably only funy to you

...and really not worth the explanation.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
...and really not worth the explanation.
...No...I appologise again

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Old 02-24-2004, 08:42 PM   #18
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
...No...I appologise again

No need.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #19
PyrosFrost
CF Newbie

coasting and fuel

I recently desided that i would try coasting in my auto 97 cavalier to see if it made any difference in mileage as gas just cost so much these days. upon completing this with a tank of gas i wanted to research the possible damage it may cause over time by doing so, and this brought me here where i have become much more informed in the matter and now more aware of the problems with coasting, but i would also like to throw my results out there for anyone to review and decide what to make of this, so here is what i noticed in the very hilly state of hawaii.
here are some constants to keep in mind:
i only re-fuel my car when it is empty, and when i fuel it i always fill the tank.
everytime i fill the tank i reset my tripometer to help me keep track of when i need to fuel up.
with that in mind
normally my car will run 350 to 375 miles to the tank
i completely depleted the fuel in my car at 387 miles once as well as once at 371, and since doing so i have had a better idea of when to refuel.
this last time i fueled up i desided i was going to try coasting the car whenever possible.
when i finally needed to fuel up i had managed to put 429 miles on the vehicle and did not want to push it any further as i was sure to run out soon.
with all this in mind what are your opinions on this information.

thank you for any input
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
jmon100
CF Newbie

Driving in Neutral

I have been 'coasting' in neutral to lights, going downhill, etc. in several manual cars over the last 10 years. Never had any engine/transmission issues to deal with and typically run cars to 65k to 80k miles. I have always belived this to be more fuel efficient and my latest car confirms it. A Jaguar X-type with a digital average mpg. I can track my average mpg from a tank refill to an empty tank 500 miles later, and reset the average mpg at any time. The average MPG increases considerably when coasting in neutral, particularly, noticeable on a long downhill. I am not sure how many miles it might add to a tank but there is no doubt coasting at idle rpm reduces fuel consumption, and you can also gain speed in neutral as opposed to in gear as the engine acts as a brake. Also if you are a capable driver, the question of having to be in gear for safety is a mute point.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #21
newyorker
MXman

I do this quite a lot because my neon only gets 18mpg city on a good day. It helps a bit but ive noticed that when i go back to drive from a total stop, there is some kind of noise in the tranny like something hitting something, so to eliminate further problems, i think i will stop.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #22
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

ummm just to let you guys know, in most places it is ILLEGAL to coast in neutral when driving. If a cop catches you then you are in bit trouble. But really, unless you are driving manual don't shift to neutral (on a manual its almost like holding the clutch in but it doesn't heat up the bearings...also rev then engine a bit before you put it in gear to reduce the strain on the tranny). Auto should never be put into neutral when driving (of course unless something very bad happens to it). Use common sense when doing stuff like this. Sure you may save a tiny bit of money doing this, but is it worth the risk? I mean how fast can you get out of the way of someone coming at you if your car is in neutral? often there is only seconds to react...and if you have to go back into gear you lose precious time
Old 02-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #23
strewart
CF Newbie

A driving instructor a couple of weeks ago told me that sticking an auto into neutral while you were going would definitely screw it up.. Though he might have meant only when the accelerator was down, not really sure.

In manual, when I am slowing to a complete stop and I know I'll be stopping I'll put it into neutral for a little bit, not long though. If I think I can keep going I just switch down a gear or slow down a bit.

I agree with the people who say the amount you will save on petrol is barely worth it.. A couple dollars per full tank maybe.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #24
carls47807
CF Freak

driving with the clutch in or in neutral wont' hurt a manual, and theres no point to do it in an automatic. I always put the clutch in down a hill just to take wear and tear off the drivetrain and get a free ride. also, brakes are cheaper than a clutch, transmission, and gas.

then only thing you are putting wear and tear on when your clutch is in is your throw-out bearing and i have never seen one go bad.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:12 AM   #25
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
driving with the clutch in or in neutral wont' hurt a manual, and theres no point to do it in an automatic. I always put the clutch in down a hill just to take wear and tear off the drivetrain and get a free ride. also, brakes are cheaper than a clutch, transmission, and gas.

then only thing you are putting wear and tear on when your clutch is in is your throw-out bearing and i have never seen one go bad.

Mine hasn't quite gone out but it isn't exactly silent either...if its relatively quiet around(i.e no cars) then you can hear it turning with the clutch out
Old 02-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #26
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807

So you aren't worried about the glazing that occurs as the pads skim across the pressure plate and flywheel faces?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:10 AM   #27
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

If you're going down a long steady hill in neutral, its dangerous because having your foot constantly on the brake cause brakes to heat up, and eventually fade. It is better to go down a hill in 3rd, maintained at say 60 km/h and not have to worry about making a splatter at the bottom.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #28
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
If you're going down a long steady hill in neutral, its dangerous because having your foot constantly on the brake cause brakes to heat up, and eventually fade. It is better to go down a hill in 3rd, maintained at say 60 km/h and not have to worry about making a splatter at the bottom.
And, as in the following quote, a while back I might add lol, It's dangerous because the gears act as a brake (along with the engine), to help keep the vehicle at a steady speed. That's why the lower the gear, the better, on a hill! (depending on speed obviously lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me: 24.02.2004
I'm in full agreement with that, you must NEVER EVER put any car, man or auto into neutral whislt driving as it messes with the transmission. That's why you a recovery man etc will never tow an auto car with the driven wheels on the road surface (dif.lock etc)! Also, from the safety point of view it is dangerous to coast in any vehicle because when driven, the wheels act with you to control the car (the engine acts as a brake on a car) and with no power going to them the car will just gain speed continuously deeming it harder to brake! as for the MPG, I doubt it saves any fuel at all

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #29
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
ummm just to let you guys know, in most places it is ILLEGAL to coast in neutral when driving. If a cop catches you then you are in bit trouble. But really, unless you are driving manual don't shift to neutral (on a manual its almost like holding the clutch in but it doesn't heat up the bearings...also rev then engine a bit before you put it in gear to reduce the strain on the tranny). Auto should never be put into neutral when driving (of course unless something very bad happens to it). Use common sense when doing stuff like this. Sure you may save a tiny bit of money doing this, but is it worth the risk? I mean how fast can you get out of the way of someone coming at you if your car is in neutral? often there is only seconds to react...and if you have to go back into gear you lose precious time
And the police can tell how?!?!
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #30
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
And the police can tell how?!?!
He'll know when a car 'floats' past him at idle

Closed Thread