Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #61
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra

???

I'm just saying, bragging about a Civic body that runs 6s is as stupid as bragging about a Dragster running 3s that had one bolt from a Ford Tempo, it doesnt help the argument.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #62
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Oomba, just give up.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #63
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
???

I'm just saying, bragging about a Civic body that runs 6s is as stupid as bragging about a Dragster running 3s that had one bolt from a Ford Tempo, it doesnt help the argument.
That is a good point. How far can one upgrade a car before it is no longer the car that one started work on. I.E.: If one takes a Civic and does a complete redesign to decrease drag, increase air flow and HP, increase stability, and change the panels on the outside for lighter materials, etc., but it has a few parts from the origonal car, is it still classified as a Civic even if these materials are as simple as the headlights or something that (respectively speaking) is quite insignificant? Sorry if this completely hijacks the thread, Ill make a new one if you all wish, but this question plagues me.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 AM   #64
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
I can think of several domestics that are incredibly cheap to modify, repair, service, search and buy, etc. Cheap tunable rides don't have to be civics, and imo, shouldn't be.

A good platform is very important, for the reasons i underlined in one of my posts above. Far fewer essential modifications need to be made in a platform built for turbo applications or 'go fast'. Take for example the Lancer Evolution. It was designed to go fast, handle rough terrain, handle inclement weather, handle high power levels. The engine, brakes, suspension, transmission, aerodynamics, etc. have all been designed and put in the car specifically with those purposes in mind.

In concise terms, a turbo application has to be done correctly in order to make high hp cars even reasonably controllable. What does this say about your everyday civics?
I can't get this piece of shit to let me type in my full post, so I will respond to each paragraph in a separate post. First:

So can I, but it's a matter of personal preference, and at the moment, this is what people are choosing.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 AM   #65
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Second: How many "modders" can afford a good Lancer? Not too many. I don't know if they are really as available as you seem to think they are either, at least here they aren't. I rarely see one. "Rough Terrain"? WTF? I don't think many Civic drivers intend to take their cars offroading. As far as the brakes, suspension, etc...most people who slap a turbo on a Civic do so only intending to increase acceleration in a straight line, not to cruise the interstate at 130 or win road races. If they think they can, or try to, then they are simply foolish and uneducated. Now, should someone choose to do so, installing stiffer suspension components and proper brakes would not be that expensive or difficult of a task. Now as far as the aerodynamics...if they are going fast enough for that to be a factor then they are either being foolish or playing on a completely different field (racing). A stock Civic can handle 80 mph on the interstate perfectly well, why would a turbocharged Civic be any different? Like I said, if someone attempts to go greatly faster than that without the proper equipment, they are simply being foolish.

Last edited by hondaman : 08-24-2005 at 04:58 AM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 AM   #66
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Third: An average street Civic that has been turbocharged will be pushing maybe 200 hp, if that much. I don't think that will be too much for it to handle. Now, should someone have the time and money to push the hp even further, I'm sure shelling out a bit more to improve the car's control and stability will not be too difficult (although I do think at this point, there are far better choices available). But the point is, your average, turbocharged Civic can be a fun, reasonably quick, inexpensive little package for a young (or older) driver.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 AM   #67
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Back to the original post;
Quote:
I hate how many people think honda technology is the best thing since sliced bread. Honda R&D is good but it ain't that good.

Actually, it depends on what department of technology you are looking at. The Japanese Spec Honda Legend (Acura RL) is one of the most advanced cars on the road right now. It is equipped with Night Infrared technology, with the ability to tell the driver visually (VIA a Screen on the dash) and by buzzer (more like beeping sounds) that someone or something is in teh car's path or about to travel into the path. Also, it is equipped with Radar (found in some other luxury cars as well; Cadillac, Mercedes, and i think BMW), it senses the the distance of the car in front and tells the driver if they can't stop in time, or if the car ahead stops suddenly. Theres also the seatbelt system; the seatbelt pre-tensions when the radar senses the car can't stop in time, or whenever the car predicts there will be an accident. There are more, but the rest of the description was in Japanese, so i don't know what else there is on top of the already extremely advanced American Spec RL.

The funniest racing story from me, is this guy in his SRT-4 pulls up beside me, he revs his engine like crazy. The light changes, of course he pulls off the line faster then me, my car is like 500lbs heavier then his. Then he starts celebrating, he starts honking and turns his hazard lights on, then i just blow past him, his face was full of disbelief, just shocked. I hear his car behind me, it started getting louder, and he tries to catch up, i hit sixth gear, he didnt have a chance. Later on, i'm driving normal again, he's behind me again, it was one lane traffic, so i decide to piss him off. And for one hour on the way up the mountain on the mountain pass i just drive 30miles per hour, and he can't pass me. He was honking and flashing me with his headlights.

haha.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #68
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Im not saying domestic cars THESE DAYS are good cars. Now in days everything is made fast and cheap. Wich is why they crap out so easily. Everything is plastic n cheaply made. I am saying NOTHING IS BETTER THAN A CHEVY V8 because there isnt anything that could or has lasted as long as muscle cars have. The car i owned was sitting for atleast 10 years in a empty lot and when it was finally drug out of there it still turned over. You cant say that in 10-20-even 35 years that a normal everyday import will still be on the road like new unless you meen to keep it new on some velvet covered garage floor under a lock and key. All im saying is theres nothing better. My cars a tank and will drive till the day i die. God forbid i get into a accedent ill still give it life no matter what.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #69
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Then again, everything nowadays seems to be made to purposely last a certain amount of time, that way the manufacturers will always have customers. I may be wrong, but thats just how most things seem now, older cars were built to last.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #70
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22
Im not saying domestic cars THESE DAYS are good cars. Now in days everything is made fast and cheap. Wich is why they crap out so easily. Everything is plastic n cheaply made. I am saying NOTHING IS BETTER THAN A CHEVY V8 because there isnt anything that could or has lasted as long as muscle cars have. The car i owned was sitting for atleast 10 years in a empty lot and when it was finally drug out of there it still turned over. You cant say that in 10-20-even 35 years that a normal everyday import will still be on the road like new unless you meen to keep it new on some velvet covered garage floor under a lock and key. All im saying is theres nothing better. My cars a tank and will drive till the day i die. God forbid i get into a accedent ill still give it life no matter what.

What are you talking about? Like new? Was your chevy v8 like new? I don't think so. You leave any car, ANY, alone for 20-35 years, it isnt going to be like new. You can leave a domestic or any import for the same amount of years, they will be in the same damn condition. Are you ignorant? They are made out of the damn same materials. They are all made out of coated steel, save the luxury cars. Actually , a lot of domestics still use iron blocks, so i would think that the aluminum alloy blocks of most imports would last longer.

Just because you don't see import cars from the age of the muscle cars around, doesn't mean they are weak and busted up. The reason muscle cars last so long its because they have a fan base, they have been preened, taken care of nicely. But import cars of that age weren't performance oriented, so why would anyone want to keep their 1969 Toyota Corolla mint? Why would anyone want to restore a 1970 Honda N200, or a 1958 Toyota Land Cruiser? Also, considering the time period when muscle cars of detroit were produced, Honda, Toyota and Nissan only sold a fifth of the amount of cars sold by their Domestic counterparts. In 1970, their combined sales number would probaly be around 8000-12000 cars, but the sales number of Domestics would be considerably higher; more like 42000+. If Toyota of Honda made perfermance oriented cars in that decade, then they will be here, just like the muscle cars. The Datsun Z is a good example, many people still restore Datsun Z's and many people keep them in mint condition. And if you leave a Datsun Z in a car lot for 10 years, it will still turn over like your muscle car. So don't go saying, that muscle cars outlast imports just because there are more of them.

A tank is a good description though, a lot of excess metal there. Too much for my taste. Don't get me wrong, i like muscle cars too, i would rather have a Shelby GT500 (not the stupid showy eleanor model) over a toyota supra. But you are really narrow minded, just because you own it, doesnt mean its the best. Its the best in your mind, but to many people, that may be offensive, so watch what you say, and use a filter in between your brain and your mouth.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--

Last edited by aerith : 08-24-2005 at 08:14 AM.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #71
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Ok than you take your import w/e car you got and park it at one end of the street facing mine at the other and lets play chicken....who you think will win in a head on collision?
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #72
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Im not saying domestic cars THESE DAYS are good cars.
Actually, they are. A great number of Domestic cars today are competing for quality with Japanese imports. It's good to see that.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #73
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Ok than you take your import w/e car you got and park it at one end of the street facing mine at the other and lets play chicken....who you think will win in a head on collision?
And who's more likely to survive a 50 mph collision into a concrete barrier? That's why cars today are designed to crumple upon impact.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #74
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
People that buy NSXs usually dont think that way. I hate the NSX because its severely overpriced. 90,000 for a V6 supercar? No way in hell.

The NSX is a 15 year old (well 16 year old now) car. It hasnt ever been fully resdesigned and it was considered a bargin supercar in the early 90s. I agree it's lagging fully behind all supercars now, but Honda just announced in 3-4 years they will have a V10 powered NSX.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #75
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Im not trying to diss on every honda owner. My problem is not with people like SyntheticTrust who have little interest in their car apart from going from point A to point B. My problem is with people who try to turbo their front wheel drive econo sedans and then proceed to race every car on the road. I only ask that people drive their cars in the way they were meant/designed to be driven.

You realized you're not only ragging on street machines but also RACING built vehicles?

So, why are you to say words that with my old turbo h22a Accord I am not allowed to turbo it? I should of left it at 130hp instead of having fun with it by dropping in a 200hp h22a then turboing it to make a sleeper... You have no base.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote