Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
tsi_girl
CF Newbie

installing a starter...

can someone tell me the easiest way to install a starter on a 1997 eagle talon turbo??? i have to do it myself and i was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to do it?
tsi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Too bad it's a turbo, I think they are set-up differently than the NT's. I could have given you step by step otherwise.

How do you know the starter is bad? Just asking, it may be something else entirely. What kind of problems have you had with it?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
tsi_girl
CF Newbie

yeah my brother in law has a 95 eclipse and where his starter is on his car is where my turbo is... im not sure its my starter but im pretty sure cause when i turn the key over it just clicks and doesnt start...and i had a guy look at it that has worked on talons and eclipses and he said it was the starter so... u can get to it from the top and the bottom but both ways it looks really hard to get to and either way i have to take a bunch of stuff off my car just to get to the starter... oh by the way i like your car lol it looks just like mine. mines white and its a 97

Last edited by tsi_girl : 02-18-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

did to check to be sure the battery was fully charged first? it would not be fun to find that you replaced a starter because the battery was dead
Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
tsi_girl
CF Newbie

Well im sure its not the battery cause I bought a new battery and put it in there cause I bought the car a few months back and when I bought it, it needed a new battery cause the one that was in it was all the way dead so after I bought a new battery it still wouldnt start...

Last edited by tsi_girl : 02-18-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
thefonz
CF Addict

Check all your connections first, or there's a good chance you will be wasting your money on a starter.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
tsi_girl
CF Newbie

well all all my lights and everything worked when I bought a new battery and hooked it up. everything worked besides the car wouldnt start... could it still be the battery??
Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Well I am just rookie at this stuff and may get told such in replies but here goes. Reading what you said my gut says your right and it's the starter. Mine went on my truck last year first it started acting up(the starter would "miss" and click on the first turn or two of the key) and I listened to a million theroies on why it was surely not the starter. Then as it got worse and I was put in on a couple situations where I thought she may not start, I remebered something I had heard years before as a child.............get down under it and give the starter a whack with a wrench while someone else tries to start it...........you know what it worked.........so with the knowledge that it surely was the starter like I knew in the begining I changed it. So if you wanna try the whack it theory please note that I take no responsibility because I heard from some of the many "it's not the starter theorists" that you risk injury by doing this as well.......I forget how so I won't make anything up. Good luck and post you results. Oh and someone is sure to tell you to buy the Haynes manual to walk you through the procedure.............it's a good idea and a valuable asset.
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_girl
well all all my lights and everything worked when I bought a new battery and hooked it up. everything worked besides the car wouldnt start... could it still be the battery??

We can't tell if your battery is good or not. Just because the lights came on doesn't mean the battery has enough charge to start the vehicle. You could have the battery load tested. If it checks out ok, put it back in and try it. It doesn't cost anything to check your wiring connections yourself. I still recommend checking that before dumping money in a starter.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #10
talon699
CF Newbie

Take out the battery first so you can get your hands in there. You can undo it from the top, but it comes out from the bottom. Jack the car up and put it on stands, there are 2 bolts holding the starter , plus the cable from the starter (12mm) and the trigger wire which is push on (squeeze) Oh yes removing the air pipe to the intake also makes more room to see what you are doing
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote