Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
ilusha2
 
Posts: n/a
Maintenance

Hi guys. I'm new to cars. Can you give me a list of things I should do to keep my car in tip top shape, running smoothly, etc. Like changing the oil, etc. I don't know anything. I am mostly interested in computers, and I know plenty about computer maintenance, but not about cars. I have a 1995? Buick Lesabre.

Just some things I found out today:

Change the Radiator cap once every 2 years.
Change the "Timing Belts" every four years.
Use the lowest octane level fuel allowed for your car.
Use the right oil for your car, thicker is not always better.

I found out this today from "MotorWeek".
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:08 AM   #2
Talon_queen91
 
Posts: n/a
8O why would u want to use the lowest octane for your car? Higher octane helps out everything cleans out your system, could increase Horse power and u get better gas milage!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:58 PM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
thats what i thought.... thats why higher octane gas is more $$$, im sure they dont do that for the heck of it
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:32 AM   #4
RichG
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 92
higher octane will actually lower horsepower on a stock car, I know its hard to beleive but its true, the reason is , it takes more spark to ignite the higher octane gas, the reason high octane gas is around, is for the higher compression cars (ex Corvette, mustang, also anything being stressed) a higher octane will reduce detonation from a engine, I wouldnt reccomend using high octane gas, unless you experience detonation under WOT..
__________________
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=110136&ck=

Nayner = Good
RichG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
mantruck
 
Posts: n/a
Here's a novel idea. Read the owner's manual. It was written by the folks that know your vehicle the best, the ones that designed and built it. Use what they recommend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Take the advice of RichG and mantruck, they're on the right track. The other two respondees are, what's the word, oh yeah clueless.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #7
krownvikballa2003
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9
If it can run low octane, run low octane.

I'm sure you've probably heard how "oh yeah, higher octance cleans out your system and it will make your car go faster" but it doesn't really make your car go any faster. I mean, running it maybe every 3rd tank or so isn't a bad idea, but not every tank. I usually run it every 4th tank, and it works allright for me.
krownvikballa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Re: If it can run low octane, run low octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownvikballa2003
I'm sure you've probably heard how "oh yeah, higher octance cleans out your system and it will make your car go faster" but it doesn't really make your car go any faster. I mean, running it maybe every 3rd tank or so isn't a bad idea, but not every tank. I usually run it every 4th tank, and it works allright for me.


Please explain the advantage to using a higher octane gasoline every third or forth tank. Who is it a good idea for? Or do you just like to spend extra money for no apparent reason? Please comment.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Re: If it can run low octane, run low octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by krownvikballa2003
I'm sure you've probably heard how "oh yeah, higher octance cleans out your system and it will make your car go faster" but it doesn't really make your car go any faster. I mean, running it maybe every 3rd tank or so isn't a bad idea, but not every tank. I usually run it every 4th tank, and it works allright for me.


Please explain the advantage to using a higher octane gasoline every third or forth tank. Who is it a good idea for? Or do you just like to spend extra money for no apparent reason? Please comment.

I think "krownvikballa2003" must believe that high octane fuel cleans out his car's system and so is due to be used every 3rd or 4th tank. I'm going to save you some money "Krownvikballa2003" just so long that you take my advice; never use high octane fuel for a car that doesn't require it but use special formulas on your car once every year to clean and decoke your car for less wear and optimum performance. These products range from foam that you spray into the air intake system, to small bottles of liquid that you pour both into your fuel and oil tank. If you do pour a formula into your fuel tank, you shouldn't get the oil changed for at least another 5k miles. These kinds of products are especially useful on older cars and you may notice a real difference in performance the first time you use whichever brand you decide on.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:51 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Snoope,

You are correct in everything you say (except the 5K remark), however you missed my point. The thing here is to get people to backup what they say. As you know if you've read many of my posts, I am a firm believer that too many people are all about blowing smoke up other peoples asses (or arses in the UK).

Everybody can learn something, and nobody knows everything. Including myself with over 30 years experience and enough certifications to wallpaper a small house. But the best way to break the cycle of ignorance is to have people explain their reasoning and go from there. Now he knows the answer, but probably hasn't learned.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Maybe I should re-phrase my 5k remark... If you're going to use two formulas in conjunction with each other - one bottle in the fuel tank and one bottle in the oil tank, then you'd better do it when your car has more than 5k miles to go before an oil change. That's what the instructions said on the formula I used anyway; getting at the point that the formula will be drained out with your oil and wasted if you don't give it at least 5k miles first to pass through (obviously they said 5k miles to be on the safe side and not the bare minimum). With you working with cars all the time (well that's the picture I get), VWhobo maybe you know something that I don't e.g. 100 miles would be fine?
I do get your point though VWhobo loud and clear arrow If you can't send a post without "blowing smoke up peoples asses", wait until you've got something worth reading before clicking on the "Submit" bar !
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:26 PM   #12
krownvikballa2003
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9
People get pissed off too easy

! Here's something that a United States born American will tell a foreigner in a heartbeat I don't care if you think I'm blowing smoke up people's asses, that's not for you to decide, but I will say that why does the dealer - for Christ's sake - tell you that using high octane once and a while doesn't hurt a damned thing if it did? My '91 Crown Vic does just fine running 93 octance about every 4th tank, which the dealer has already told me does keep my engine cleaner, so why do you think I'm blowing smoke up people's asses?! I'd really like to know because you've pissed off the wrong American! Just because you don't approve of using 93 octane doesn't mean the whole world has to agree. Get my point? Good-bye, you are the weakest link! !
krownvikballa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Re: People get pissed off too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownvikballa2003
:!: Here's something that a United States born American will tell a foreigner in a heartbeat: I don't care if you think I'm blowing smoke up people's asses, that's not for you to decide, but I will say that why does the dealer - for Christ's sake - tell you that using high octane once and a while doesn't hurt a damned thing if it did? My '91 Crown Vic does just fine running 93 octance about every 4th tank, which the dealer has already told me does keep my engine cleaner, so why do you think I'm blowing smoke up people's asses?! I'd really like to know because you've pissed off the wrong American! Just because you don't approve of using 93 octane doesn't mean the whole world has to agree. Get my point? Good-bye, you are the weakest link! :!:


No, the reason I don't agree is because you are wrong. You still haven't told me why you think it works. Do you have any idea what the difference is between "high octane" and "low octane" gas. Probably not except to say that it has a different number on the pump. I asked you to explain yourself, but as of yet all you've done is blow more smoke. Normally people who either know they're wrong, or are to stupid to know they're wrong get mighty defensive and resort to name calling. Read your post and see if you fit the profile.

As for your assertion (do you know what that means?) that I am a foreigner once again you are as wrong as can be. I think being born and raised in Chicago and being in the USAF for 23 years more than qualifies me as an American. My suggestion is until you know what you're talking about, sit down shut up and listen.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:56 PM   #14
starfish
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 32
i would run high test gas just to clean it out but dont always run it because it will burn holes in the pistons. The higher test gas the hotter the engine will run thats how it cleans it out. High test is good for the engine like once every 2-3 months depends on how often you have to fill up. and no high test doesnt make your car run faster my grammer sux
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish
i would run high test gas just to clean it out but dont always run it because it will burn holes in the pistons. The higher test gas the hotter the engine will run thats how it cleans it out. High test is good for the engine like once every 2-3 months depends on how often you have to fill up. and no high test doesnt make your car run faster my grammer sux

Obviously you get your information the same place as well.... Suffice it to say you are as wrong with your information as you can possibly be. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Again I ask that you explain why you think this and please share that information with me and everyone else.

Your only correct piece of information is that running higher octane gasoline won't make the car any faster assuming you mean for most cars. Only run the octane you need, any more is simply a waste of money and can even hurt performance.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.