Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
n00dle
CF Newbie

BMW vs. Mercedes

Ok I've narrowed down the cars I want down to two, both entry level cars (318i BMW and c220 Mercedes), both have comparable milage (103k km on the BMW, 117k km on the benz), both extremly well kept (no rust, dents, perfect condition leather, they look new inside and out, and have been inspected;both have no major problems. So my question is what car is "better" (higher re-sale value, not that I'll be selling either soon, better mechanically, last longer, overall more well engineered). Here are pics and some information..................

1997 BMW 318I, 4 dr, auto, local $13850

1995 MERCEDES-BENZ C220, 4 dr, auto, local, $12850

I like driving them both. But I like the exterior/colour of the BMW more than the C220 and I like the interior of the benz more than the BMW. So basically I think it comes down to; does the 14k km less milage and 2 years on the BMW justifiy the extra 1000 dollars? And what one will last longer/have less problems if properly maintained (mind you I only drive about 6 000 km a year).
n00dle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

A couple of things to point out here.....if the Merc is a Manual, steer clear, as untill now they couldn't make a decent maual box.....If however the BMW is a Manual, go for it, as BMW have always, in my oppinion, made one of the best Manuals.

In general though, i'd have said the BMW hands down, awhile ago, now however, I'd tend to say Merc, as long as it's an auto, as standard kit's always been better in them, and they're just as reliable as the Beemers!

BTW....the title of this thread nearly put me off entering it lol.....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

He wrote that they both were auto...go for the Bimma!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
relicensed
CF Enthusiast

go for the merc. more grunt than the beema and a little less common. they have amazing turning circles which come in handy sometimes I find, (not the biggest bonus but is practical).

but the beema is a newer car. I just think the bigger engine is always worth more and prefer the look of the C class.

btw, where are you?
relicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
n00dle
CF Newbie

B.C., Canada. I dunno which one, I gonna go look at both of them again today , but I'm leaning towards the BMW becuase of that colour lol. Ahhh hardest decision for me to make this summer, BMW or Benz (My friends are so jealous lol).
Old 08-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Bimmer, no doubt about it!

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

I'd go with the BMW

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

LOL, easy decison for me.

When you go to look at the BMW check a few things, Check the rear trailing arm bushings to see if they are worn, also check the rear shock mounts to see if they are worn also. After 100k I think they might be in need of replacing. If they are completly worn check the metal mounts that, surround the rubber bushings, if they are bent, or torn, you will need to get the rewelded, and will end up paying out your ass, If they are not then good for you!

But yeah, Id go for the BMW.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSANSPDR
He wrote that they both were auto...go for the Bimma!

LOL...So he did....*must stop reading so fast*

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicensed
go for the merc. more grunt than the beema and a little less common. they have amazing turning circles which come in handy sometimes I find, (not the biggest bonus but is practical).

but the beema is a newer car. I just think the bigger engine is always worth more and prefer the look of the C class.

btw, where are you?
I agree....and it's cheaper

Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
n00dle
CF Newbie

I looked at them both today, compared them inside and out and I think I like the Benz a bit more, just because the interior is more of what I would expect from a car of this type (high end German cars) (Wood grain/digital controls for the dials and buttons, ect.) and it is more confortable to sit in (plus I love sitting in the drivers seat and seeing that big benz insignia on the end of the hood. The BMW definatly looks nicer on the out side tho but the interior allmost seems "cheap" to me, it looks like the interior of my mom's car (all plastics, dials with no digital output for them, no back seat head rests). Ahhh hard to choose, I like them both. My mom says to pick the BMW because it looks nicer and my brother likes the benz because he says it's more prestigeous/commands more respect. And it seems more people here prefer the BMW over the Benz. (BMW 5, Benz 2 lol)
Old 08-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dle
I looked at them both today, compared them inside and out and I think I like the Benz a bit more, just because the interior is more of what I would expect from a car of this type (high end German cars) (Wood grain/digital controls for the dials and buttons, ect.) and it is more confortable to sit in (plus I love sitting in the drivers seat and seeing that big benz insignia on the end of the hood. The BMW definatly looks nicer on the out side tho but the interior allmost seems "cheap" to me, it looks like the interior of my mom's car (all plastics, dials with no digital output for them, no back seat head rests). Ahhh hard to choose, I like them both. My mom says to pick the BMW because it looks nicer and my brother likes the benz because he says it's more prestigeous/commands more respect. And it seems more people here prefer the BMW over the Benz. (BMW 5, Benz 2 lol)

MB = BORRRINNNGGGG. Get the Bimmer.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 AM   #13
n00dle
CF Newbie

Got a carfax report on the BMW, looks good no accidents ever reported, milage matches up to what it is at the lot. Lost the VIN for the Benz so I'm gonna check it out 2morrow.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
MB = BORRRINNNGGGG. Get the Bimmer.
BMW=1.8Litre (in most cases)....Merc=2.2litre, I know which I'd go for....and believe me it's far from booooring

Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 AM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
BMW=1.8Litre (in most cases)....Merc=2.2litre, I know which I'd go for....and believe me it's far from booooring

But the MB cannot compete without the "kompressor" even at ".4" litres more...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote