Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #16
mischa
CF Newbie

Why is this in the "classic car" thread anyway?

And why do i always see that so many people are always viewing this forum but no one ever responds? visitors should just join in - on the fun.

peace
Old 08-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #17
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa
they take up less gas so that you can keep your muscle car longer (last estimated gasoline depletion i heard was 2020). i'm upset that i will only be able to keep my gas cars for 15 more years, and i bet a whole bunch of others are too.

Not directed at you, but rather where ever you got that from. That's bullshit.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #18
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDragsterPunk
hybrid cars suck........and i hate the nature saving enviromentists who wants everyone to start driving these electric powered shit boxes

What the hell? How ignorant can people really be? Aside from what some people may believe a car is to get your from point A-B in a timely, cost effective and efficient way. I love how people think that all cars are made to be fast and sporty.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:59 AM   #19
lutz
Top-Hat

No fear, hybride doesn't mean pure electric and the electric power just came out of powerplants which using their own sources (sometimes oil, nuclear...). Gasoline and Diesel cars doesn't leave us soon.

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #20
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
What the hell? How ignorant can people really be? Aside from what some people may believe a car is to get your from point A-B in a timely, cost effective and efficient way. I love how people think that all cars are made to be fast and sporty.
I KNOW RIGHT?!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:07 AM   #21
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
I KNOW RIGHT?!

Hehe DodgeRida67, you crack me up. Its good to see you back posting again . There have been to many people posting crap all over. You and the Hobo need to whip these kids back into shape.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 AM   #22
comet-63
CF Newbie

environmentaly friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebee
I can understand both sides of the arguments.

However, you shouldn't be against a car JUST because it's environmentally friendly. But I can understand not wanting a slow car with a limited range. I've driven a Prius, and it was horrible. (However, the Honda Insight was pretty great to drive, by comparison).

European diesels are impressive: you can get 60 mpg if you're careful, but have 150-200 bhp under your right foot when you need it. This is the best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, hybrids are going to have to get a lot better before they're adopted by a lot of people. This is what happened with diesels: a few years ago they were relatively slow and noisy, but now they're powerful and refined, and their popularity has increased. It won't be long before the same happens with hybrids, although at the moment, a good diesel engine is a far better alternative.

I love my 1984 Chevy Chevette Diesel. It has enough power to make to car move, gets good mileage, and is environmentally friendly. A diesel engine produces less ozone depleating pollutants than a gasoline engine. The only emmisions it is higher in that a gas engine is in particulate emmisions. (Read soot) The way I run my diesel is even more environmentally friendly than others. I run it on waste veggie oil. That way I am getting rid of one waste, and not using as many dinosaurs to be able to operate my car. Shhh! Don't tell the government. They will have the farmers stop producing soy beans.
comet-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #23
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
It really seems like people don't know what hybrid cars are (not being rude, just informative).

A hybrid car runs on gasoline AND it's battery assisting in power. An engine is the least efficient when accelerating. Therefore the battery assists the motor during acceleration resulting in saved gas. When cruising at a constant speed (an engine's most efficient situation) the engine does all of the work.

So, the only kind of "limited range" that a hybrid car is the same limit that any other gas powered car has.

And as a side note, at least in Hondas, the power that's normally lost by braking is captured and is used to charge the battery which will later be used for accelerating. it's like recycling energy, genius.

The brake thing Honda is using is called 'regenerative braking', and has been used on trains and buses for years.

Hybrid cars do have a 'limited range', though. The Prius is horribly slow when the batteries are flat, and the batteries don't last that long in stop-start traffic (where the engine isn't used). Battery technology needs to catch up, as they still have a relatively small capacity and are very, very heavy. On top of all that, a diesel Golf will use less fuel than the Toyota Pious, and costs less money: hybrids are not a viable alternative yet.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #24
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
The brake thing Honda is using is called 'regenerative braking', and has been used on trains and buses for years.

Hybrid cars do have a 'limited range', though. The Prius is horribly slow when the batteries are flat, and the batteries don't last that long in stop-start traffic (where the engine isn't used). Battery technology needs to catch up, as they still have a relatively small capacity and are very, very heavy. On top of all that, a diesel Golf will use less fuel than the Toyota Pious, and costs less money: hybrids are not a viable alternative yet.

I don't know what im talking about here because I don't know how they designed the 'Prius' you speak of but If your batteries go 'flat' it would only make sense that they would have designed the car the run on the engine from there on and the engine run a generator to recharge the batteries. Once the batteries have enough charge, back to hybrid mode. That would make sense, and work great.

Quote:
hybrids are not a viable alternative yet.
I doubt they ever will be.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #25
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know what im talking about here because I don't know how they designed the 'Prius' you speak of but If your batteries go 'flat' it would only make sense that they would have designed the car the run on the engine from there on and the engine run a generator to recharge the batteries. Once the batteries have enough charge, back to hybrid mode. That would make sense, and work great.

That's the problem! Once the batteries are flat, the engine doesn't have much 'oomph'. And it can't recharge the batteries if all the power is being used to move the vehicle: charging consumes power!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #26
mischa
CF Newbie

Quote:

I doubt they ever will be.

who do you think you are. If you take a civic EX and a civic Hybrid, the hybrid will have more range and will not stop even if the battery runs out (remember, it's a hybrid, meaning there's a gas engine and battery pacK).

IF the battery runs out, there's still power, thanks to internal combustion engine.

Also, Dodge Rida, you think gas is forever? it's bullshit that it's going to run out? Gasoline is not an infinite energy source, sorry to ruin your day.
bottom line you're really ignorant.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #27
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
who do you think you are. If you take a civic EX and a civic Hybrid, the hybrid will have more range and will not stop even if the battery runs out (remember, it's a hybrid, meaning there's a gas engine and battery pacK).

IF the battery runs out, there's still power, thanks to internal combustion engine.

Also, Dodge Rida, you think gas is forever? it's bullshit that it's going to run out? Gasoline is not an infinite energy source, sorry to ruin your day.
bottom line you're really ignorant.

Such anger from one with such flawed logic.

How is hybrid power going to overcome the lack of oil? As we've all worked out, hybrids use an internal combustion engine. And at present, they consume more fuel than a decent diesel engine, and do it in an uneccesarily complicated, heavy and expensive way.

Hybrids don't solve any problems. They only cause more: what are we going to do with all those enormous, toxic batteries when they're dead?

Ultimately, we need to find another form of power. Electricity isn't a great answer because it's so horribly inefficient (if you take into account the losses between generating it at a power plant, transferring it to the home and charging batteries). Electricity also relies heavily on fossil fuels, at present.

Hopefully hydrogen power will save the day. But that's still a long way off.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #28
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
And at present, they consume more fuel than a decent diesel engine, and do it in an uneccesarily complicated, heavy and expensive way.

Hmm, funny I never knew that getting 40+ miles to the gallon means you consume more fuel. *scrathes head*

Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #29
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Such anger from one with such flawed logic.

How is hybrid power going to overcome the lack of oil? As we've all worked out, hybrids use an internal combustion engine. And at present, they consume more fuel than a decent diesel engine, and do it in an uneccesarily complicated, heavy and expensive way.

Hybrids don't solve any problems. They only cause more: what are we going to do with all those enormous, toxic batteries when they're dead?

Ultimately, we need to find another form of power. Electricity isn't a great answer because it's so horribly inefficient (if you take into account the losses between generating it at a power plant, transferring it to the home and charging batteries). Electricity also relies heavily on fossil fuels, at present.

Hopefully hydrogen power will save the day. But that's still a long way off.

You may be wrong about the fuel consumption, I dont know, but thanks you, thats what I ment in a nutshell. In no way was a hybrid ever ment to replace the internal combustion engine completely. It was made and designed to put a choking hand on polution as I see it.

On total electric cars, I seriously doubt electric cars will ever be anywhere close to an internal combustion engine of today's verity.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:44 AM   #30
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Hmm, funny I never knew that getting 40+ miles to the gallon means you consume more fuel. *scrathes head*

I drive a Mazda diesel that's slightly larger than the Toyota Prius. I get 50+ miles to the gallon. Therefore, my diesel engine uses less fuel than the hybrid...

Perhaps it's because my boot isn't full of heavy batteries?