Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Whats the world coming to?

Why is it, that in these times, everyone is so proud of their faults and vices? Why is it that people try to prove they are worse than someone else? I long for the good old days when people would be embarrassed by their faults and foibles. Now people wave a flag upon high and shout to the world exactly what is wrong with them, their character and their habits.

I remember an instance about a year back, I was sitting in a night school class, Algebra II. I had to take this because I, as I have stated before, had a little too much fun in high school, and as a consequence I had to sit in an un-air conditioned room for 4 hours, making up credits I missed out on. Anyhow, there was one, how should I say this, DEUCHBAG in my class who told me a very impressive story explaining why he was in the night school class, and why he was 19 and still only a junior. He had, as it turned out, once been in high school, but he dropped out in the middle of his junior year because "he didn't like the teachers". After he dropped out he started selling meth in order to pay for his own meth and potato chips. Then he started taking night school so his parents (also junkies) would get off his back.

It was not his story that impressed me, but the zealous, almost giddy attitude with which he proffered it. It was as if he was telling me he had competed in the Olympics and placed. I felt sickened by him. But I have realized that this sort of thing happens all the time. Not the dropping out to do meth, but the pride some show in their depravity. Another sort of strange, and disturbing, side effect that comes with this pride is the competition between these attention starved retards comparing whose the worst person.

A perfect example of one such competition also happened to me while at school. In my Honors World history two girls were talking and I happened to overhear their conversation. One was bragging about how she ditched a class the day before, the other retorted with the fact she had ditched the whole day. They went back and forth comparing their stories of mischievousness for a while and I got a damn headache from listening to them. They both had 4.0 GPAs and I knew this for a fact. My question is why, if you are so successful, you would want to brag about your shortcomings? I wanted to show them my report card and tell them some of my stories in order to "scare them straight" as it were.

But back to the matter at hand; what the hell is wrong with this world when being bad is considered good? Why are people so damn retarded?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:17 AM   #2
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Because it is human nature to judge and people will do anything they can to talk about something. They will talk about anyting even if the topic is not needed. Which is more interesting, 'i got 4.0 and a new car" or "i got busted ditching school and got caught by the cops for truancy jailed then went and partied with my frineds" Its all about what would be more impressive and what people would rather hear.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

I know exactly what youre saying man. I know this one guy, his name is Ryan Rose. He and I used to be friends back when I was in 6th grade and he was in 8th grade. He went to highschool, and I didnt have any contact with him for a little over 2 years. This summer I finally started talknig to him again, and he acted like he didnt even know me. He dropped out right after freshman year, because "it was just to hard" for him. Now, he doesnt have a job, he should be a junior, and he spends every little cent he gets from his parents on shrooms and marijuana. I tried to tlak to to him about getting back into school and stop following this ever popular druggie trend. His response was "**** you man, you don't even know me. You dont know shit."

If he wanted to, he could pursue the career of art. Hes great at drawing...yet hes to ignorant to even attempt it.

Last edited by SlipKnoT : 08-31-2005 at 03:26 AM.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 AM   #4
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
If he wanted to, he could pursue the career of art. Hes great at drawing...yet hes to ignorant to even attempt it.

Yeah what is with that. Theres a bunch of kids that were at my school that were on drugs and seemed that school was useless to them. I would sit next to them in class and see how good they did in art and drawing. Talent that could turn their life around for the better. It's like do you have to take drugs to aquire this talent or something?

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Yeah what is with that. Theres a bunch of kids that were at my school that were on drugs and seemed that school was useless to them. I would sit next to them in class and see how good they did in art and drawing. Talent that could turn their life around for the better. It's like do you have to take drugs to aquire this talent or something?
Exactly. Instead of doing that, he tries to commit suicide because aparrently his life is just SO ****ING HORRIBLE.... Nothing in life could be so bad for you to even THINK about killing yourself.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:50 AM   #6
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Exactly. Instead of doing that, he tries to commit suicide because aparrently his life is just SO ****ING HORRIBLE.... Nothing in life could be so bad for you to even THINK about killing yourself.

Theres a girl I talked to before who said she was gonna commit suicide cause her boyfriend broke up with her and she had nothing to live for. If she was in front of me I woulda slapped the shit outta her and told her to get over it thats not a reason to take your life away

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
Its all about what would be more impressive and what people would rather hear.

And thats what pisses me off, the fact that doing retarded things is impressive, having a 4.0 is not.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:22 AM   #8
A-cord
CF Newbie

Thats just the society we live in. Im 17 so i see this stuff everyday, and people might say i hang out with the bad crowd so ive grown acustom to this. Kids think its cool to bullshit about all the things theyve done wrong. It's almost as if people respect you more for the more wrongful acts u have commited. Its one of those things u dont really notice until someone comments on it in forums like this.
A-cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
elchango36
WWJCD

Guess what, it doesn't change in College either. I bumped into this girl I met last year. So we were chit-chating, catching up on summer and what we've been up to. I ask her if she had done anything interesting and do you know what she told me??? She says, (gigling the whole time) "yeah, I was at a couple of parties this weekend. I was drunk off my ass. Supposedly I drank 6 shots of Tequila after drinking 2 Jager bombs and 4 beers. My roomate says we went to 3 keggers later on and that I puked on the way to the 2nd . I don't remember a thing. I just remember waking up in some guys living room. Isn't that funny"???

I was disgusted. I literally felt sick to the stomach. I told her I was gonna be late for class and I would catch up with her later. Yeah right, never talkin to that ho again.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

It's the sympathy thing. They are trying to get attention and sympathy from you because that makes them feel better. I believe it is also from what they see in the entertainment and sports industries. Those people blame all the problems they get into on something they say they have no control over. Poor them. That is the message the media spins.

People like to have a crutch that they can blame sh*t on. More and more today it seems like people NEED to have a crutch.

People also like to brag because they think it makes them more interesting. But like elchango36's story, it just made him disgusted with her. Who knows what she was going for. To seem cool? To make him jealous? Because she thought it was really intersting?

Stem is right in that it is human nature. It's human nature to want to be liked, looked up to, cared for, etc... Now days having some sordid past is the way to get those things.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
It's the sympathy thing. They are trying to get attention and sympathy from you because that makes them feel better. I believe it is also from what they see in the entertainment and sports industries. Those people blame all the problems they get into on something they say they have no control over. Poor them. That is the message the media spins.

People like to have a crutch that they can blame sh*t on. More and more today it seems like people NEED to have a crutch.

People also like to brag because they think it makes them more interesting. But like elchango36's story, it just made him disgusted with her. Who knows what she was going for. To seem cool? To make him jealous? Because she thought it was really intersting?

Stem is right in that it is human nature. It's human nature to want to be liked, looked up to, cared for, etc... Now days having some sordid past is the way to get those things.
Except for the sympathy thing I think that's exactly right. They don't see a problem that they need sympathy for if you ask me, they're just idiots. Just the other day at a lake party some girls were bragging about not being able to count how many guys they've made out with or whatever, and these are the "sheltered homeschoolers"! The media definatly is part of the problem, but another big one is these kids' parents. They sit back and practicly igonore thier kids, and when they do find out about something one of their kids has done, they sit them down and talk to them. Sometimes I wish I could sit these parents down and talk to them , but I'm just the stupid teenager...

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
....., but I'm just the stupid teenager...
You sound smarter than most of them. The girls in your example were doing the bragging thing and going for shock value. I experienced similar at a local pool hall where these girls were acting all goofy trying to impress the boys they were with. I was on the other side of the pool hall where normal conversation would not reach and this one girl says very loudly "if you want me to make out with her, I will" and then starts smooching with another girl.

Atention, atention, atention. Apparently it is harder to get now adays so kids have to be more shocking in order to get it. I agree with you also about parents not spending enough time with their kids. Parents seem to be too caught up with their own lives (me generation) whether it be because they have to work more to make ends meet or they just want to have fun also.

Heck, my parents went out once a week when my siblings and I were growing up. Otherwise they were home taking care of the house or working on their hobbies. They paid attention to us and stuck their nose into our business when they felt it was necessary. Sometimes we didn't like it but I can say now that I am glad they did what they did.

It scares me a bit to think about what the kids now days are going to do when they start raising kids. I don't see a silver lining to this cloud.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

People are retards...
Like this guy in my auto class always talking about the 4 kids he has with his GF and how she’s pregnant with yet another.

Like dude... your 25 you work at Walgreen’s and you have 5 f**king kids with a woman who isn’t your wife... you have 5 bastard children you stupid f*ck.
There’s a reason its taken you this long to get your GED and get into college,
Now stop talking to me.

I know what you mean I hate these people...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
...Sometimes we didn't like it but I can say now that I am glad they did what they did.
Yeah that's what I hear from alot of adults. How old are you, if you don't mind?

Quote:
It scares me a bit to think about what the kids now days are going to do when they start raising kids. I don't see a silver lining to this cloud.
Same here, but then I also think that these are the people that I'll be competing with for a job.... Don't get me wrong it's still sad, but I have to have something to make me optimistic.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Yeah that's what I hear from alot of adults. How old are you, if you don't mind?...
Old enough to know better and too young to care. Ok, that's a cop out. I'm in the mid 30's.

Quote:
Same here, but then I also think that these are the people that I'll be competing with for a job.... Don't get me wrong it's still sad, but I have to have something to make me optimistic.
You may just have the advantage there. As long as they compete for the job fairly. Their behavior however makes me question their scruples and thus their ability to compete fairly. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.