Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
C c C
CF Enthusiast

Someone Has To Know.... Asap

well i replaced my head due to a jammed spark plug a while back.. never had any problems with the car until yesterday...
The car idles fine... until the gas is revved.. then the idle bounces from 1.6 down to 1.2 then up and down and up and down... but when i turn on the ac it idles normal... hm.. also when it is under 3000 rpm.. it seems boggy.. but when i floor it it seems to sound and drive fine... also driving at a constant speed makes that boggle sound... NEW spark plugs are in, new fluids, everything seems to be working fine..wtf is wrong here?

PLEASE help this is my everyday car to get from work and school

OH and this morning... the car died while i was driving it.. and in attempt to start it.. the battery was DEAD

Last edited by C c C : 09-08-2005 at 10:35 PM.
C c C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
black_plague
CF Enthusiast

well the idle bouncing is probably a bad iac....if your car wont hold a charge it might have a bad alternator or battery
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

could even be the fuel filter, the fuel pump itself, and maybe even just a worn out fuse....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

If the battery was dead, and you've been driving like that, it means the alternator wasn't putting out enough juice to run teh car. remember, when the car is running, the alternator provides the power to run everything including the ignition (about 13-14 volts worth). When the alternator dies, it's running off teh battery, which even when FULLY charged only has 12 volts, and rapidly loses that. From the sounds of it, you were running on about 10 volts or less.

If it was working fine until yeterday, then started running like crap AND the battery ended up being dead, then that's your problem. Take your alternator off and have it tested at an auto parts store. OR charge up the battery, start the car and chech the voltage at the positive terminal of the battery. If it won't go above 12 volts (or is lower than that) then your alternator is shot. 13-14 volts and it's fine and your battery is bad. But I'd be willing to bet that it's the alternator.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Hope this might help.

This might be a stupid question but i've seen people make this mistake before, plus i've beat myself up over obvious stupid things like this so I just want to make sure. When you replaced the head did you replace the head gasket or did you use the same one? If not, try puting a new one on.

Now you say when you have your foot on the gas it runs fine I assume you mean while your accelerating, but when you try and keep it at a constant speed it seems boggy. Im thinking it also is a little jerky too like the car is jerking back and forth a bit. If this is the case try checking your intake manifold gasket. If its blown it could be sucking air causing your engine to run lean. It will normally sound fine and run good as long as you have your foot on the gas but when you let off it will start skipping and that could very well be what your problem. Other symptoms of this can be high idle speed when you first start the car, followed by very low idle speed and bogging when you first push on the gas.

Now, to find out for sure, find some starting fluid. Start your car and pop the hood. How while the car is running at idle, spray the starting fluid around the intake manifold and the head where the gasket is. Make sure you hold it about a foot away so it lets the gas spread out enough to get sucked in. If it is sucking air, it will suck in the starting fluid and you will notice a difference in the idle of the car and sound of the enging. If this is your problem you will notice the motor starts pinging or sounds like it is knocking. If it does this, replace the gasket and you should be good to go. Just make sure you don't keep doing that alot because the starting fluid sucks the oil out of the cylinder walls and reduces lubrication. Anyway, try this and post another message and let me know how you made out with that.

Good Luck,
-Matt-
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Oh yeah and about your battery problem, it most likely is your alternator. When that happened to me I noticed that at night when my headlights were on the car would run for a shorter period of time after I had charged it especially if I had my sterio and other things on that sucked the juice from the battery. My headlights would start dimming, and when they got to a certain point the car would start cutting out like you were turning the key on and off then on and off again......if I turned the lights off, the car would run again smoothly and if i turned the lights back off again it would die again. Im assuming from looking at the car that its got an EFI system in it which needs the power from the battery (or alternator) to run. I would replace your alternator. Do not buy a new one off the internet like ebay or anything like that. Go to AutoZone or Advanced Auto. I say that because you dont want to buy one without any sort of guarantee or warranty or anything. Now, put the new one in and try it out. If it works, hey problem solved. If not, DONT WORRY!!! Most of the new alternators you get are normally remanufactured. Take it back and tell them it dosn't work. The majority of new alternators bought do not work. This is why I said not to get one off the internet. If it dosn't work... your screwed. Now if you put the second one in and it still dosn't work, you might still have the same problem. Bad alternator, but at that point you might want to have someone look at the rest of your electrical system just to be sure, but test your battery first. Because of the bad alternator, it could still cause your battery to shit the bed. Again good luck and let me know how you make out.

-Matt-
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote