Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
oVeRmYhEaD
CF Newbie

To all the other mechanics out there

Greetings

How many other mechanics students out there?
I just started a week ago in my course (Automotive Service Technician - partnered with DaimlerChrysler) and it's a brand new course in its first year - first one in Canada too, i believe. About 200 people applied for the course - 50 were given an interview, and only 22 succeeded (i was one of those 22 we were "hand picked" by some higher end Chrysler employees. Chrysler has really gone all out on this course - we (the class) walk in the shop and there's about 5 caravans, 4 pacificas, a 300, and 2 brand new jeeps that rolled off a train for us to work on. They also donated 12 brand new 4.7L V8s to our class for us to work on. So far it's been pretty interesting - they're going to give us 8 months in class/shop stuff to prepare for our following 8 months of paid co-op work at a dealership (finishing all of the apprenticeship hours.) After the co-op term, there's 8 more months of school, we write our exam and become certified mechanics. I'm too excited so i was wondering, are there any other students here in and if you could tell me what to expect from a course like this
oVeRmYhEaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

I went to a school called Denver Automotive and Diesel College. I graduated with an associates degree.

Last edited by bigdaveangell : 09-10-2005 at 06:34 PM.
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Vlad
CF Addict

I'm in a program called 49er R.O.P. Sounds similar to what your talking about. Junior year in high school, (now), I go to a shop at another high school and learn stuff, we cover different units like brakes, engines, steering and suspension, etc. We started with brakes. I get a certificate of completion at the end of the school year. Then, senior year, I go to school once a week, and the other days from 1 to 4pm I go work in a shop or at a dealership. They hire you most of the time and you just stay after and they pay you. After I finish the R.O.P. program, I work for one more year and then get ASE certified.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

I attend Lansing community college, its the only school in the state to offer a high performance engines class, or alterative fuels. Currently we are building a Hydrogen powered dragster.

I’m going for an associates degree in auto tech, and then one is business.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

I attend My Backyard/Tear apart shit n put it back together.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRmYhEaD
Greetings

How many other mechanics students out there?
I just started a week ago in my course (Automotive Service Technician - partnered with DaimlerChrysler) and it's a brand new course in its first year - first one in Canada too, i believe. About 200 people applied for the course - 50 were given an interview, and only 22 succeeded (i was one of those 22 we were "hand picked" by some higher end Chrysler employees. Chrysler has really gone all out on this course - we (the class) walk in the shop and there's about 5 caravans, 4 pacificas, a 300, and 2 brand new jeeps that rolled off a train for us to work on. They also donated 12 brand new 4.7L V8s to our class for us to work on. So far it's been pretty interesting - they're going to give us 8 months in class/shop stuff to prepare for our following 8 months of paid co-op work at a dealership (finishing all of the apprenticeship hours.) After the co-op term, there's 8 more months of school, we write our exam and become certified mechanics. I'm too excited so i was wondering, are there any other students here in and if you could tell me what to expect from a course like this

umm.. fixin cars maybe? I got a quick question for you too. So im in high school now and im a junior and Im taking some auto classes right now and I want to know how can I get that apprentenship thingy. And what kinda things can I benefit from it and please tell me your experiences with it. Thank you
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

What has happened to our dear CarExpert?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
windman
CF Enthusiast

i dont mean to sound neg here
but what happens when i bring you a gm or ford
or any other model ?
chyrsler dealership for life?
windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:35 AM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

I went through the same thing, although set up a little differently. It was an ELTT program, which means 10 months of school and 4 years of work as an apprentice. (first year = 50% pay of certified techs, increasing every 6 months until certification). Mine was a Volkswagen specialty program, but didn't really have a whole lot of VW info in it. I'm working at a BMW dealership now.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

ATTENTION MODS! Better get a lock on this thread, it's old and has been re-opened for no good reason. That is YOUR criteria, correct?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #11
windman
CF Enthusiast

wtf is with this guy
were you an abused child
i was just informed you used to be a mod
want the job back or what?
as much as i respect any knowledgable person
your whining an awful lot
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by windman
wtf is with this guy
were you an abused child
i was just informed you used to be a mod
want the job back or what?
as much as i respect any knowledgable person
your whining an awful lot
I've got two words for you. Blow me.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-15-2005, 01:42 AM   #13
windman
CF Enthusiast

oh and apparently some one had someyhing to say in this old thread
is that not good enough reason
this is getting old
Old 12-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by windman
oh and apparently some one had someyhing to say in this old thread
is that not good enough reason
this is getting old
1. You wanted to pursue it. If you don't like it, STFU.

2. You have been a member of this forum for less than a month. You have no concept about which I speak. STFU newb.

3. Until you know the history behind it, piss off. After all, you're the one following me around stating that I want to be a mod. You are a moron.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:47 AM   #15
windman
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I've got two words for you. Blow me.
do i detect homosexual tendencies here