Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Metzger
CF Enthusiast

3000GT Problem

96 3000Gt base model makes a really high pitched squealing noise when shifting out of first gear. It also does this when I'm "piping" it up around 5000 RPMs. My guess would be the bearings in the alternator, any other guesses before I rip it apart?
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
black_plague
CF Enthusiast

might just be a squeaky belt
Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
968racer
CF Newbie

I would think it could be a throw out bearing going. Japanese cars are known to have these problems more than other cars. It can be prematuraly worn if you sit at a stop light with the clutch pushed in instead of it being released and the transmission in neutral. With the clutch pedal pushed in, the clutch is spinning on the bearing.
968racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Metzger
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968racer
I would think it could be a throw out bearing going. Japanese cars are known to have these problems more than other cars. It can be prematuraly worn if you sit at a stop light with the clutch pushed in instead of it being released and the transmission in neutral. With the clutch pedal pushed in, the clutch is spinning on the bearing.

So you're saying it's the clutch? I took it to Roby Mitsubishi earlier this year, and they told me the master slave cylinder was a big "spongy". I didn't quite know what to think of that, but any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
968racer
CF Newbie

Not the clutch, just the bearing. The throw-out bearing applies force to the fingers of the spinning pressure plate to release the clutch. It's only used when the clutch pedal is pushed in. As it wears, it also wears the fingers on the clutch plate. It shouldn't be squealing when the clutch pedal is released. If it is, it's not the problem. If replace the bearing, you'll probably want to replace the clutch anyways. I'm not certain that this is the problem, it just may be. Take it to a transmission shop that can give you a proper diagnosis.
968racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 AM   #6
Metzger
CF Enthusiast

Thx for the input.. now gotta get $$$ to do that