Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
zipper
CF Newbie

Rice?

I thought I knew what rice meant but I'm not sure now. Does rice mean a japanese car (motor trend definition) or does it mean a car thats been supped up only on the exterior but nothing for power (what I thought)?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
importluva
Obsessed with imports

what you thought. but so many japanese cars are riced out that rice has become associated with only asian imports.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Pictorial examples of "rice" cars.

Rice 1
Rice 2
Rice 3
Rice 4
Rice 5
Rice 6
Burned Rice

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

isn't rice the thing which you grow and eat for dinner?

it's a car which is only worked on to make it look good. my sig explains all to these dumb ricers
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
zipper
CF Newbie

[quote=WeaponR]isn't rice the thing which you grow and eat for dinner?
[quote]

Yea, I agree that's the best type of rice. I should just get a bunch of steamed rice; dump it on my car and show up at one of those rice show off places...
Old 06-25-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

[quote=zipper][quote=WeaponR]isn't rice the thing which you grow and eat for dinner?
Quote:

Yea, I agree that's the best type of rice. I should just get a bunch of steamed rice; dump it on my car and show up at one of those rice show off places...

haha i bet you'd win the compo.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

like my stupid civic is probably a rice car its not like a tarty kev mobile it just sounds phat cos i stuck a bean can on it . infact it sounds like a sloppy wet fart.

hmmm ill win the comp with egg fried rice

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:30 PM   #8
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaz
like my stupid civic is probably a rice car its not like a tarty kev mobile it just sounds phat cos i stuck a bean can on it . infact it sounds like a sloppy wet fart.

hmmm ill win the comp with egg fried rice

Old 06-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

To me, ricing is when people put stupid body kits, and huge chrome wheels and insanely huge wings and muffler tips on their cars, but when you walk close enough you notice that it is an automatic. Ricing to me personally is when people make their car look fast, but their car is stock otherwise. People who put body kits and wings and rims, but their engine, suspension, feul management, weight or any other performance-related thing is untouched. Or the people with insanely loud cars, i hate that. If your car has the power you do not need to wake the whole block to show it. It is like stuffing your pants, a true powerful car uses a exhaust system to quiet down their car not make it louder.

That is my

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

Aerith got it in 1 matey

in england cars like that we call christmas trees. espically the cars with neons. they look all go but there not !

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaz
Aerith got it in 1 matey

in england cars like that we call christmas trees. espically the cars with neons. they look all go but there not !

all show and no go, thats what the NOVA boys are made of
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
I thought I knew what rice meant but I'm not sure now. Does rice mean a japanese car (motor trend definition) or does it mean a car thats been supped up only on the exterior but nothing for power (what I thought)?

Rice?
While everyone here is correct, "rice" strung from a generalization of cars/culture. Most likley started from americans with muscle cars or just general domestic cars. They would refer to Japaneese cars ars rice. Particuarly because they come from Japan and Japan is known for having alot of rice in their food. Sorta how a Japanese car driver might call a muscle car guy a "meathead", or a german car driver a "sauage boy". Even though all European cars are not made in germany they are racial slurs applied to cars.

But slanderous terms for Euro cars and American muscle never stuck because they were generally powerful cars. So that leaves you with a "rice". I have no clue how far this word goes back, but most muscle car guys rag on people with "rice" cars because they saw them as inferior on the drag. They then became generalized with nitrous and then a variety of other products(body kits, neons, chrome wheels etc..)

Now the word "ricer" could mean a variety of things. Anyone who drives an Asian car could be considered a "ricer". Other genraliztions like "rice burner" could come from generally fast Asain imports. Now when you think "rice" you genrally go straight to Honda Civic. Although the older hondas had very good suspension, they were still considered inferior on the drag strip due to the nature of their FWD and low HP claims. Problem is that very few Civics were actually fast. So the many Civic drivers who slapped DOHC stickers and Type-R decals on there car to appear fast or that they were packing heat under the hood gave a bad name to all other Asain imports.

It was a hell of alot cheaper to put a body kit on your car and decals than to swap in a 4 thousand dollar motor. So naturally you get alot of people driving their fast looking Civics arround with no actual go. Not only civics I'm sure other makes and models were involved but because of the nature of Civics vast upgrade catelogue I'll just single the Civic out. So now you get guys who look fast and guys who are fast. Again there were more imposters than actual balls out cars. So people began creating inport gatherings to show off their flashy looking imports. They had bodykits galore, and shiny engine components. These probably turned into autoshows like HIN.

So a "rice" is genrally an Asian import that was made to appear faster than it actually did go.(Although I did'nt know that body kits and spoilers translated to speed but w.e). A "ricer" is a person whom drives such a vehicle.

Nowadays a "ricer" could be a guy with a fast ass 12 second import. You'll get labled a "ricer" for just puting decals on your car. You don't even have to have a body kit. "Ricer" is more or less a posotive thing that signifies your cars culture . You can go into a autoparts store and say I wanna "rice" my car out, and you could be talking about performance upgrades and visual upgrades. Some people I've met at HIN consider themselves to be part of the "rice" crowd. "ricing" has become more of a hobby for Asian imports to see who can make the fastest, badest, best looking "rice". Although they like to call it tuning or being tunerz(wich may actually happen) they are still "ricers".

Its a form of culture, it also could be taken as an insult, or a person whom drives a flashy looking import with little or no engine modifications.

But I'm basicly saying....Rice..... Is whatever YOU percieve it to be.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 06-26-2004 at 11:51 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
zipper
CF Newbie

That's crazy. Sounds more like a racial slur than anything.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #14
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
all show and no go, thats what the NOVA boys are made of

and the SAXO, 206, 306, FIESTA boys! all of them stupid boy racers!!

funny we call them boy racers cos them cars can't race got to much wieght on with all that kit
Old 06-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #15
Inygknok
El del Supra

i had always wondered wat was the term for the euro and domestic cars..... i just kept pointing at all the european cars and called them Nazis....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote