Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2004, 12:21 AM   #16
SuperJew
I like pie.

ok i think its time to contribute my to this discussion...

i feel that whether to go manual or not really depends on what kind of driving you are doing where. if you live and work in the country, where there is very little to no traffic then a manual might be more suitable. however, for those of you who work in, say, New York City, and live on Long Island, a manual would be pure hell in the traffic, and therefore an automatic would be better.

and then theres the people who dont know how to drive a manual (my uncle..). of course they really aren't car enthusiasts IMO

of course this is all based on my observation...im still learning the basics of driving on my moms '02 Odyssey. (real pimpin, eh? ). so Satty you are leaps and bounds ahead of me.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34

Last edited by SuperJew : 03-01-2004 at 12:30 AM.
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
ok i think its time to contribute my to this discussion...

i feel that whether to go manual or not really depends on what kind of driving you are doing where. if you live and work in the country, where there is very little to no traffic then a manual might be more suitable. however, for those of you who work in, say, New York City, and live on Long Island, a manual would be pure hell in the traffic, and therefore an automatic would be better.

This is my opinion. I generally agree with everything SJ says.

These are facts. I personally have no use for automatic transmissions in my own vehicles. In my entire personal fleet I have exactly two automatics. One is my '73 Satellite which is just a cool old cruiser, the other is in my wife's horse pulling trailer. I wouldn't care if I lived in downtown Mexico City, I just prefer a stick.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 AM   #18
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I wouldn't care if I lived in downtown Mexico City, I just prefer a stick.

Now THAT IS a rough place to drive!! (and breathe)

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:54 AM   #19
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

SilverCivicSi98's question was pretty stright forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCivicSi98
Does a manual seem cooler than an automatic?

However jzxTT's reply was pretty much garbage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
if your into honda you should look for a 93 - 98 civic hatchback.5spd... drop a B16a2, get a decent Greddy turbo, exhaust, intake, and leave it like that... maybe a body kit, some neon if u like that sorta stuff... that'd give you a decent car.... you could have all that for about 5000-6000 ( 3k for the car and 3k for the mods). depends on if u wanna b in the racin scene or the show scene......

snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #20
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

Well, is it possible to change your car from an automatic to a manual or the other way around? If, so, I'm guessing that its a hella lot and is a major inconvience.

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
SilverCivicSi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:14 AM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well, is it possible to change your car from an automatic to a manual or the other way around? If, so, I'm guessing that its a hella lot and is a major inconvience.
That would be a yes and a yes.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #22
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
siwwy people Although manuals are nice provide better fuel economy and are more fun over all. automatics provide easier driving less trouble and you'll notice that once the big dogs start bushing BIG high horsepower numbers they are running automatics. Automatics are quicker and more precise and not to mention a hell of a lot stronger.
They are easier untill they go wrong and you have to pay for a new box...An ex-collegue of mine (notice the context!) put a pump up stand through an auto box on a '98 Ford Mondeo and it cost him nearly 1300 for a new one! So I guess that means they're not very strong either....and they are certainly not very quick

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #23
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Arthur, you've been asked to cite some examples concerning a statement you made. Please don't ignore your civic duties.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #24
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
siwwy people Although manuals are nice provide better fuel economy and are more fun over all. automatics provide easier driving less trouble and you'll notice that once the big dogs start bushing BIG high horsepower numbers they are running automatics. Automatics are quicker and more precise and not to mention a hell of a lot stronger.
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #25
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

Quote:

OK... I would just like to say that in The Fast and The Furious (I know I shouldn't be going off movies but...)they all have manuals. And they aren't goin' slow, even though the speed is a little exaggerated. And I'm sure thats what most racers have.

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
SilverCivicSi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:08 AM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
OK... I would just like to say that in The Fast and The Furious (I know I shouldn't be going off movies but...)they all have manuals. And they aren't goin' slow, even though the speed is a little exaggerated. And I'm sure thats what most racers have.
The difference in speed is sooo minimal it's practically non-existant and anyway, I aint never heard of an auto that's faster than it's manual equivilant...Manuals provide far better accelaration though which is always nice!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #27
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
... If what your are looking for is a "fast" car and u want ( for some reason) to be like paul walker and Vin desil get a *stick*... i garauntee you soooner or later your gonna wanna drive one so start now... but a word of advice... get an old piece of shit to learn in then once u master the stick in that car stick will be a piece of cake

Last edited by jzxTT : 03-02-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #28
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
If what your are looking for is a "fast" car and u want ( for some reason) to be like paul walker and Vin desil get an automatic.

Didn't you mean to say "get a stick"?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #29
jzxTT
CF Addict

oops... .. problem fixed..
Old 03-02-2004, 08:51 PM   #30
Arthur
On Probation

Just because i dont sit at a computer all day and post non stop doesnt mean im ignoring something, i have a life and post here rarely. The only reason i say that automatics are faster is because they are Way more precise and are alot stronger and i was under the assumption that top fuel dragsters used an automatic style transmission. Besides Ive seen people shave time off there run by switching to an automatic, I believe it was in a high horsepower eclipse/talon. You really need to lose the attitude VW, your not better than us so quit pretending like you are, yes you may be knowledgble when it comes to auto mechanics but it in no Way gives you the right to treat others like garbage. Either straigthen up or shut up asshole.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote