Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #46
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Not taken as rude.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that I LIKE MAKING THE ENGINE/TRANSMISSION CAUSE THE CHIRP (not a yell...but emphasis) I don't doubt it is fun to drive an car with an auto trans. that can chirp through the gears...I just feel it is more fun when it is my driving style and experience (in my car) to do it. (others have driven my car and cannot chirp the tires...I just know my car, is all.)

And the RX V8...well no doubt that would be fun...but that is a customized car...all of mine are stock...with the exception of a stainless steel exhaust sys on the 528e and one of those cone K&N filters on the 325. When I'm consistently out running "customized" ricers in totally stock Bimmers...that's where the satisfaction hits home.

lol! Good response!

I only have issues with people who think that all automatics are the same as their mom's stock Accord or their grandpa's Oldsmobile,a nd that they can never be different. It's kind of like thinking all VWs are only as fast as an old Rabbit Diesel. Some automatics are fun, have as much control, and are quicker than most manuals. Some automatics suck bigtime (like the stock automatic in the PT Cruiser... there is almost 4 seconds difference 0-60 between the automatic equipped ones and my 5 speed version! I don't know HOW they got it to suck that bad!).

But there are a number of manual trans cars that are simply not fun, either, no matter how much you have to shift them.

It's only unsubstantiated theory that I have a problem with.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #47
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Sorry, double...

Now I don't believe you wanted to do that The moderators can bring that post back if you ask them nicely I was just about to quote you on what you said about your PT transmission.

Edit: Am I anything to do with the reason that we can't delete posts anymore

Last edited by snoopewite : 03-05-2004 at 08:44 PM.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #48
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Edit: Am I anything to do with the reason that we can't delete posts anymore

No...'twas a former disgruntled member. Started deleting his posts...and ultimately made threads disappear.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:27 PM   #49
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Now I don't believe you wanted to do that The moderators can bring that post back if you ask them nicely I was just about to quote you on what you said about your PT transmission.

Well, I went to hit the "submit button" and I got a white screen with an "error, server timed out." When I hit the back button to try it again, my response was gone, so I just typed a short version.

After that one went through, I found the original still there, and I just went to delete it, but had to edit it instead. They both conveyed basically the same information; the second one was simply more concise.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #50
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Some automatics suck bigtime (like the stock automatic in the PT Cruiser... there is almost 4 seconds difference 0-60 between the automatic equipped ones and my 5 speed version! I don't know HOW they got it to suck that bad!).

I'm with you on this. I agree with what you've said to defend automatics as I drive an automatic Rav4 that has an overdrive button (nothing special but it's handy and improves my driving experience) and an ECT power button for when I'm driving in a "super aggressive" manner and not driving "like I have my thumb up my ass". I enjoy driving it once it's warmed up so that it changes gear how it should. The main con is that overdrive is 4th gear, making it even slower than a manual Rav4. There's a chance that I'll get a Jaguar X-type 4WD with a 5-speed automatic transmission for my next car in a few years time though

Quote:
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move.

When/how did you think of that signature? I like that kind of thing.

Quote:
Started deleting his posts...and ultimately made threads disappear.

Disappearing threads? Not good
Old 03-05-2004, 09:35 PM   #51
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Disappearing threads? Not good

Yes...it made me quite mad! I lost 2 posts and my count went down.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #52
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
When/how did you think of that signature? I like that kind of thing.

Douglas Adams, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Another quote from that I like is: Some say that the universe is made so that when we are about to understand it it changes into something even more incomprehensible. And then there are those who say that this has already happened.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #53
JaBoFordRid3r
CF Newbie

Sorry if yall have already got this post question out of the way, but my first car is a manual Honda Accord 4 banger that runs great, (besides some stuff like the windows and small things) i love it because it is manual.. although sometimes i wish i had an automatic since outside my neighborhood i hit heavy traffic... well anyways my point is... (i may not be right but..) i think manuals are great fun, the joy of shifting when i want, the "involvement" in my car; but i really think - this may not be talking bout everyone - (since im 17 and ive been driving for a year or more...) that when i first got my manual it was incredible when i got it down... but now i feel like its just a waste of energy *especially cuz my cars stock* i mean all im sayin is - for some ppl manuals are just fun for the first few months then u either get bored/tired of shifting or maybe ur still into it... sorry if my thoughts are all jumbled up im real tired and im gonna go fix some easy mac.. gnight and austin go with manual boy u can just practice on mine
JaBoFordRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #54
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBoFordRid3r
Sorry if yall have already got this post question out of the way, but my first car is a manual Honda Accord 4 banger that runs great, (besides some stuff like the windows and small things) i love it because it is manual.. although sometimes i wish i had an automatic since outside my neighborhood i hit heavy traffic... well anyways my point is... (i may not be right but..) i think manuals are great fun, the joy of shifting when i want, the "involvement" in my car; but i really think - this may not be talking bout everyone - (since im 17 and ive been driving for a year or more...) that when i first got my manual it was incredible when i got it down... but now i feel like its just a waste of energy *especially cuz my cars stock* i mean all im sayin is - for some ppl manuals are just fun for the first few months then u either get bored/tired of shifting or maybe ur still into it... sorry if my thoughts are all jumbled up im real tired and im gonna go fix some easy mac.. gnight and austin go with manual boy u can just practice on mine
I take it "austin" is silvercivicsi98. But anyways. Manual has never gotten "boring" for me (but then again, i've only been driving for a year ). I love it, everyone who trys it always gets hooked, its a lot of fun... stop and go gets boooorrriiinnnnggg .. but is better in traffic . The first car i ever drove was a stick. I wont be caught dead in an auto.
clutch popper forever
Old 03-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #55
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Yes...it made me quite mad! I lost 2 posts and my count went down.

Yeah, when you loose posts, you're post count does tend to go down
It's okay though because you can make them back in that thread that's titled... well you know which one

Quote:
Douglas Adams, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm too ignorant when it comes to well known literature. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBoFordRid3dr

What you were actually saying was okay to me. What I'll add is that sometimes when I used to drive manuals, I would wish that I had an automatic but now that I drive an automatic, I never wish that I had a manual. Here's a list of some situations where the pros to driving automatics come into play: -
1. Traffic.
2. Turning into junctions.
3. Slowing to a standstill.
4. Setting off from traffic lights, which in my case is off the footbrake and onto the accelerator with no wheel spin thanks to having a 4WD.
5. I would't find a manual Lamborghini Murcielago fun when I'm trying to get somewhere in an area that I don't know!
6. Slow driving and manoeuvres like in car parks. In all the manuals with low torque engines that I've driven, there's been a flat spot between first and second gear at around 10mph or so.

I know that some of the above examples have already been given but now we have a list to add to or discuss if anyone wants to.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #56
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
I take it "austin" is silvercivicsi98. But anyways. Manual has never gotten "boring" for me (but then again, i've only been driving for a year ). I love it, everyone who trys it always gets hooked, its a lot of fun... stop and go gets boooorrriiinnnnggg .. but is better in traffic . The first car i ever drove was a stick. I wont be caught dead in an auto.
clutch popper forever

Most of the people I have ever had issues with are in your situation: "I've only been driving for a year." Sorry, but as much as you love your car, you really don't have much overal experience. Your car is fun (if that's your Z) but 90% of the fun is from the whole package. If you were stuck driving an old 4 speed manual Yugo, you wouldn't have the fun experience to say that the transmission was that enjoyable.

What I'm saying is, don't close yourself off to the possibility that some cars with automatics can be loads of fun as well. Cars like my RX7, and the BMW in my sig. Both of which I could guarantee you are at least as fun as your car to drive.

I know when you're young and learning to drive stick that every time you shift, you're getting better. you notice it, and you are happy with your skills. But even though I love good manual trans cars, it won't be much longer until that shifting is second nature to you, and you won't notice it. At that point, the shifting isn't done for fun, but because the car needs to be shifted. You no longer go, "wow! Look at that! I shifted! And look there! I did it again!" at every shift. Your friends aren't impressed anymore, and it just becomes something you do as part of driving. And then you start to notice al the times when it's just a chore. That's when you get to the point I'm at: shifting is fun when you do it consciously for fun: a perfectly executed heel and toe downshift while going around the corner onto the entrance ramp for teh highway. But most of the time, it's just in the way. And you realize that in most driving situations, you can not only have just as much fun without moving your left foot, but in some cases it's MORE fun because you aren't being bothered by a chore you have to do constantly.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #57
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Most of the people I have ever had issues with are in your situation: "I've only been driving for a year." Sorry, but as much as you love your car, you really don't have much overal experience. Your car is fun (if that's your Z) but 90% of the fun is from the whole package. If you were stuck driving an old 4 speed manual Yugo, you wouldn't have the fun experience to say that the transmission was that enjoyable.

What I'm saying is, don't close yourself off to the possibility that some cars with automatics can be loads of fun as well. Cars like my RX7, and the BMW in my sig. Both of which I could guarantee you are at least as fun as your car to drive.

I know when you're young and learning to drive stick that every time you shift, you're getting better. you notice it, and you are happy with your skills. But even though I love good manual trans cars, it won't be much longer until that shifting is second nature to you, and you won't notice it. At that point, the shifting isn't done for fun, but because the car needs to be shifted. You no longer go, "wow! Look at that! I shifted! And look there! I did it again!" at every shift. Your friends aren't impressed anymore, and it just becomes something you do as part of driving. And then you start to notice al the times when it's just a chore. That's when you get to the point I'm at: shifting is fun when you do it consciously for fun: a perfectly executed heel and toe downshift while going around the corner onto the entrance ramp for teh highway. But most of the time, it's just in the way. And you realize that in most driving situations, you can not only have just as much fun without moving your left foot, but in some cases it's MORE fun because you aren't being bothered by a chore you have to do constantly.
I agree.. my friends camaro is tons of fun to drive but i'd much rather have a manual trans* car. Its kind of like saying "I like my training wheels because i can come to a complete stop and not have to worrie about falling!" or, "I can doo a wheelie and not have to worrie about my left/right balance!". I like to know that Im controlling/shifting my car, not electronics.
Man vs. Machine
::proud to say:: Yes that is my Z.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 AM   #58
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
I agree.. my friends camaro is tons of fun to drive but i'd much rather have a manual trans* car. Its kind of like saying "I like my training wheels because i can come to a complete stop and not have to worrie about falling!" or, "I can doo a wheelie and not have to worrie about my left/right balance!". I like to know that Im controlling/shifting my car, not electronics.
Man vs. Machine
::proud to say:: Yes that is my Z.

Just a question out of curiousity.

You said you have only been driving for about a year, which would make you about 16-17 in most states? How old are you?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #59
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
Just a question out of curiousity.

You said you have only been driving for about a year, which would make you about 16-17 in most states? How old are you?
I turn 17 march 27th.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:30 PM   #60
karburator
CF Spain HQ

And what about Tiptronic, Selespeed or Autostick gearshifts? I think it's the best choice. Sometimes you fancy driving a manual car, but other times you prefer automatic ones.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote