Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #61
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

That's a good point karburator but I've heard a lot about those kinds of transmissions lacking in responsiveness. Lets see what other posters have to say.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #62
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
And what about Tiptronic, Selespeed or Autostick gearshifts? I think it's the best choice. Sometimes you fancy driving a manual car, but other times you prefer automatic ones.

For the most part in stock form those are just regular automatics with a fancy shifter. The tuning of the transmission is still the same, and tuned more for luxury that outright performance. None of them in stock form shift as fast or as firm as a "regular" automatic transmission with a performance torque converter and performance valve body kit.

An example is the new PT Cruiser Turbo. The autostick version is over a second and a half slower to 60 mph than the 5 speed version, because the shifting in the autostick is still tuned towards smooth shifts.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #63
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
[...]

An example is the new PT Cruiser Turbo. The autostick version is over a second and a half slower to 60 mph than the 5 speed version, because the shifting in the autostick is still tuned towards smooth shifts.

But, on the other hand, you have BMW's SMG II transmission that is extremly sporty, isn't it?

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #64
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
But, on the other hand, you have BMW's SMG II transmission that is extremly sporty, isn't it?

It's not a conventional automatic with paddle shifting, nor is it an autostick. Internally, it's basically a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch activation system and shifting.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #65
SuperJew
I like pie.

how about that Audi Direct Shift Gearbox on the TT 3.2?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #66
archangle
CF Enthusiast

manual
archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 AM   #67
Hoxviii
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
siwwy people Although manuals are nice provide better fuel economy and are more fun over all. automatics provide easier driving less trouble and you'll notice that once the big dogs start bushing BIG high horsepower numbers they are running automatics. Automatics are quicker and more precise and not to mention a hell of a lot stronger.

The only automatic cars that I know of that were quicker than their manual counterparts were the dodge muscle cars with the 727 torqueflite. The 440 6 pack car with a 727 would run nose to nose with the 426 manual.

A more normal circumstace is a 305 camaro with a 5 speed running nose to nose with a 350 automatic camaro of the same year.

Stock automatics are designed to shift slow and smooth, not fast. Seeing as how he's talking about just getting a car and not being a "big dog", the manual will be quicker due to faster shifts (once he gets good) and lower parasitic losses.

Also, where do you get automatics being stronger than manuals? If that were so i'd assme you'd see alot more automatics in things like over the road trucks and dump trucks. Neither one is inheirently stronger than the other, but the manual is more resilient to abuse.

AS FOR the original question, who gives what everyone else thinks, drive what you want. I also have to agree that driving a stick poorly is alot more embarrassing than being a poser with an automatic. Personally i'm a manual man all the way. Started when i was 12 in a '67 F-100 with a 3 on the tree. Six years later i refuse to drive an automatic unless absolutely necessary. I have my truck that i daily drive (3 speed+compound underdrive) and my bug that I show (3 speed+OD). The truck is alot of fun in the rain since it has a stick and a spooled rear axle, going sideways down the street at will is quite the exhilarating exprience

Justin

EDIT: I didn't realize there were 5 pages to this post,so if it seems kinda out of order it's because only made it through the first page or two. oops.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #68
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle
manual
What kind of a response is that? lol....just 'Manual' out of nowhere at all..any reasoning behind that? because I cant help but notice that at least 50 of your 55 posts here are one or two word replies lol . As for all this Tiptronic, selespeed etc I'd steer clear of those, I've driven an Alfa Romeo with the Selespeed transmission in it and not only does it feel wierd (just like a clutchless manual) but it lacks response, so snoop, what you hear is right...Dont even get me started on Ferrari's lame attemp at a Semi-Auto lol. BTW Hox, your post didn't sound out of place at all, especially when you take a gander at archangles post

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-15-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #69
haydo
CF Newbie

yeah i agree with the guy up a bit......look for a model betwen 93 and 98 and go for the 5spd. or if ur kinda into a heavily built up area (now im not sure if you can convert this to the civic or not) btu you could see if you can install a tiptronic gear box whcih allows both to sum extent.

as i sed, im not sure if this is possible and actually dont think it would be.

good luck
haydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 AM   #70
haydo
CF Newbie

I have my truck that i daily drive (3 speed+compound underdrive) and my bug that I show (3 speed+OD). The truck is alot of fun in the rain since it has a stick and a spooled rear axle, going sideways down the street at will is quite the exhilarating exprience

.[/quote]

does seem quite exhilarating!! what kid of truck do you have?? do u hav any problems with ur compound underdrive?
haydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #71
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
The only automatic cars that I know of that were quicker than their manual counterparts were the dodge muscle cars with the 727 torqueflite. The 440 6 pack car with a 727 would run nose to nose with the 426 manual.

So how come people think that you can mod the hell out of an engine or suspension, but bringing up a $45 shift kit in an automatic is unfair and that we can only talk about stock automatics?

Is that so when it comes down to it, you can rely on comments like this

Quote:
a poser with an automatic

to insult cars with automatics, thus conveniently ignoring all the drag race cars with automatics, and all the street cars with inexpensive B&M, TCI, and Art Carr parts in their TH350s, TH400s, 700R4s, C4s, C6s, AODs, etc? A car with oh, $10k into the engine is a sweet ride, while one with a $45 shift kit is "cheating" and "not representative" because it isn't stock?

A LOT of enthusiasts who don't drive stock vehicles like automatics behind high power engines for a LOT of reasons, most have been spelled out here. I like manuals behind small engines in sports cars and GTs. The only cars I've bought new have been chosen with manuals. But the fastest cars I've owned have all had automatics, for various reasons (no, the 911s were not the fastest cars I've owned...) My Fiat 124 Spyder has a manual. Suits the car and the engine. My Jaguar XJ6 has an automatic. Also suits the car and the engine. My PT has a manual, as did my SVT Contour. In both cases, the cars had small engines that are best suited to manuals. the BMW, below, has an automatic. When it's done, I welcome people who think automatics are no fun to come ride in it on the track... Like I did with my V8 RX7.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #72
Hoxviii
CF Newbie

I should have put poser with an automatic in quotes. Everyone else was making it sound like only wannabes run automatics and it seemed like he was starting to take on that point of view, so i was just bringing up two sides. Either you can be seen as a "poser with an automatic" or a "poser that can't drive a stick". Taken in full context I was basically saying either way someone is gonna rag you for it, but it's alot more embarrassing to be ridiculed for not being able to drive a stick than driving an automatic.

The truck is a 1985 F-150 4x4 spooled front and rear (i never run 4x4 on the street). Trust me, spools out back are NOWHERE near as bad as alot of people make them out to be. I've been driving spooled for about six months now and it has never gotten away from me. As for the compound underdrive, it's stock. 1st gear is a 6.69 and then 2-4 has a standard 3 speed spread. It sucks being 1:1 on the highway, but since most of my driving is city i don't take a hit on mileage.

Justin
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 PM   #73
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
I should have put poser with an automatic in quotes. Everyone else was making it sound like only wannabes run automatics and it seemed like he was starting to take on that point of view, so i was just bringing up two sides. Either you can be seen as a "poser with an automatic" or a "poser that can't drive a stick". Taken in full context I was basically saying either way someone is gonna rag you for it, but it's alot more embarrassing to be ridiculed for not being able to drive a stick than driving an automatic.

Fair enough.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #74
BIGBADBOWTIE
CF Newbie

My 1st post

1st off.... Hi to everyone. I found this forum by doing a search for lenco transmissons in Google. I figured while im here Ill sign up and reply to this great topic even though Im a Domestic guy.

You need to listen to Chris V when he talks about automatics with manual valve bodys and higher stall converters. You get the best of both worlds: extremely hard shifts, manual shifting and NO clutch action needed. I run ATI built th350 with a manual valve body and a 4000 rpm stall converter. This is in a high 10 sec 78z Camaro that I drive on the street. Talk about neck snapping shifts. Nothing like it. Don't get me wrong sticks are great but unless your running a bruno or lenco style tranny, autos are where its at in the drag racing world.

Ray
BIGBADBOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #75
Chiefduluth
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCivicSi98
I am just about to get a car. Probably a Honda Civic. I want to just, ya know add some rims, a spoiler, a body kit, mainly outside exterior things but maybe a little on the engine, and probably more on the engine as I get older. Do you think that there is a difference in having an automatic or a manual. Not as in the driving experience, because that's a pretty obvious difference. But, just as in what people will think. I'm thinking that people will be like, 'Nice car! Oh, man you've got an automatic? You should have a manual man.'. That's what I'm thinkin' the basic response will be... But I want people to like my car and think it's cool and I think that manual helps. Well, thats all so tell me what you think please. Does a manual seem cooler than an automatic? Thanks.
You should go manual, it takes a while to get the hang of but once you do it more fun to drive. Automatic don't put you in control and thats fine if the cars just transportation, but if you like to drive, go manual.
Chiefduluth is offline   Reply With Quote