Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2002, 10:49 AM   #1

Turbo question

I currently bought a 996 Turbo and I have a few question since this is my first European turbo car. Do I need blow off valve and turbo timer for this car? These two are almost the standard items for the Japanese turbo car, but not sure about the European turbo car. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:13 AM   #2
RushHour0to60

RE: EURO TURBO??

Hi, I'm not very knowlagable with European turbo applications, how ever, turbo is turbo, I think. Volskswagon turbo applications are just the same as the Jap' turbo applications, I can't really see Porche as being so radically different that you couldn't benifit from some of the aftermarket goodies that you often see applied to rice vehicals. Just curiouse, how much PSI does your porche blow stock?? I'm sure you can tune it just like any other car for some exrta boost I know of a place in Chicago called "DUB WERKS" specifically for Volkswagon tunning/turbo application, and they put all the boost controlers and bigger turbine uprade and all the "rice" turbo stuff on Volkswagon. I would go ahead and see if any of contolers/timmers benifit you at all, as I'm sure they couldn't hurt.
Just my two cents, like I said earlier, not very knowlagable on the subject but own a Mitsubishi turbo vehical. So this is just educated geussing on my part....
RushHour
Old 05-23-2002, 07:41 AM   #3
analloutracer
CF Newbie

Re: Turbo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial_E
I currently bought a 996 Turbo and I have a few question since this is my first European turbo car. Do I need blow off valve and turbo timer for this car? These two are almost the standard items for the Japanese turbo car, but not sure about the European turbo car. Thanks in advance.

Initial_E,
you need to head over to the Message Boards on either Rennlist.org &/or Pelicanparts.com. Each of these sites have designated forums for 911-based Turbo models. Ask people who REAlly know, know what I mean?

Sc
Modesto Ca
analloutracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
talonracing
CF Newbie

wOOt

if it has over 8 bls of boot u need a blow off vale if not u dont and the turbo timer is just some to make it work right with u car at the right time that is all that does really it is not something that u really need it can work with out it
talonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

ignore everything talonracing just said, every single bit of it.

no matter wat, a blow off valve will only benefit you positively, thats it. my car comes only with 6 psi standard and it has a stock blow off valve (not a very good one, but still a BOV). i even had the turbo set to just 4 psi to cruise around and i still had my BOV (not the stocker, but one with a spring rate of 4-9 psi).

turbos are turbos, thats correct. the only differences are the wastegates (external or internal), but that has nuthin to do with BOV's nor turbo timers. turbo timers were actually used in the old days when cars with turbos needed special times to cool down cuz of old technology (turbos nowadays can cool down in just a minute if u were just cruising). turbo timers nowadays are not necessary. in fact, they are just for that, to assist the driver in cooling down the system, but just sitting there and waiting for the car to cool down a bit gets the job done.

In fact, BOV's and turbo timers are usually quite universal. sometimes the adapters differ on the timers (i believe so at least), and BOV's usually have different sizes and/or shapes to the flanges at the bottom, but thats it.

just remembered, there are some differences in some turbos. there are some that have variable angle mechanisms integrated into them, but ive only seen them on trucks. other differences are the light pressure turbos from saab, but thats about it i believe. maybe someone else remembers another different model.

electronic boost controllers are good. not a bad thing to have if they just werent so expensive to get....... unless u get it on ebay (but i doubt u will get any warranty).

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
turbo timers were actually used in the old days when cars with turbos needed special times to cool down cuz of old technology (turbos nowadays can cool down in just a minute if u were just cruising). turbo timers nowadays are not necessary.

Now, you're correct that a turbo timer is not necessary. But they are still a very good idea to prolong the life of your turbocharger. Technology has come a long way, but there's still nothing we can do about some material properties. Many people do (as you stated) just let their vehicle idle for a little while after a spirited drive (like myself). But, having a turbo timer can do you nothing but good and they're very inexpensive.

Also, turbos in the old days would cool down in just a minute after cruising, turbo timers were not designed for people that were just cruising.

There is no downside to a turbo timer.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote