Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
18 Wheelers Pulling

My friend told me that if you get right on an 18 wheelers ass and shut your engine off, it creates a wind bubble around your car and the 18 wheeler pulls you. Is that true?
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
My friend told me that if you get right on an 18 wheelers ass and shut your engine off, it creates a wind bubble around your car and the 18 wheeler pulls you. Is that true?

not true - you can crawl up behind his ass and enjoy not fighting a headwind(i've done it myself on the way home if theres a headwind), but it won't pull you along.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
if you get right up on his ass w/ the engine running (don't want you to lose your ps/pb/ac now) it will take considerably less pressure on the gas to manintain your speed... it's called drafting. the nascar folks do it....
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
if you get right up on his ass w/ the engine running (don't want you to lose your ps/pb/ac now) it will take considerably less pressure on the gas to manintain your speed... it's called drafting. the nascar folks do it....

yeah, thats why i do it....and its a common thing up here that it happens...we even have truck chains in the winter....kinda funny to watch sometimes.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
yeah, thats why i do it....and its a common thing up here that it happens...we even have truck chains in the winter....kinda funny to watch sometimes.

oh yeah, and them crazy canucks do it, too...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Now if you pulled up on his a$$ and then hooked on with a chain, then you could be pulled along. Otherwise, like they said above, the "wind bubble" would not be sufficent to keep you going.

I have an example of this on a bicycle trip. I was heading into the wind and the max I could muster was 16 MPH. And that was working hard. Well, a farm tractor came up from behind me and passed me. I was able to slip into his wake and draft him. We were then going 25 MPH and I was barely putting forth any effort. Boy was I thankfull that tractor showed up, and sad when he turned off.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.