Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2005, 04:13 AM   #1
Lithium
CF Newbie

80' Camaro sputtering

My z28 is having a slight problem that i cant pin point its location to. It seems when i get into it, especially in 3rd and 4th gear, itll spit and sputter, and pop at me. If im at about half throttle, i dont experience it. Ive changed cap/rotor, fresh rebuilt engine, new plugs/wires, all vacuum lines are either plugged or sent to thier designated spot (distributor/power brake booster, etc). Im starting to think its the carb...which when the engine was still in the truck it ran great, even during hard acceleration. Could it be my air/fuel ratio is messed up since i put an aluminum intake on? or could the quadra-jet just being crappy on me...any help suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

i thought they were known as quadra junks?

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Lithium
CF Newbie

indeed they are :P but if im able to adjust it to where it works properlly, then i saved a bit of money...its not looking promising though
Old 09-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium
indeed they are :P but if im able to adjust it to where it works properlly, then i saved a bit of money...its not looking promising though
have you checked your timing?
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
obviously you don't know much about quadrajets, if i were you id look into it a bit more b4 you deem them quadra junks, because thats pretty ignorant,just my
Old 09-16-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
harry10461
CF Newbie

80 camaro

did you put in a mechanical fuel pump? those symptoms remind me of a problem i had with putting an engine with a mechanical pump in a car with an electric pump in the tank.
harry10461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Lithium
CF Newbie

the car came out factory with mechanical fuel pump, the timing is set near perfect...and it only sputters when the secondaries open up. A friend recommeneded something about jets...maybe someone here has a good idea on what to do? im just stumped
Old 09-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
obviously you don't know much about quadrajets, if i were you id look into it a bit more b4 you deem them quadra junks, because thats pretty ignorant,just my

i've been in a lot of them, and for the most part, i'd call them quadrajunks...

along w/ carter/edelcrap...

really, it all boils down to personal preference, it's all in what you decide is better for you...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium
My z28 is having a slight problem that i cant pin point its location to. It seems when i get into it, especially in 3rd and 4th gear, itll spit and sputter, and pop at me. If im at about half throttle, i dont experience it. Ive changed cap/rotor, fresh rebuilt engine, new plugs/wires, all vacuum lines are either plugged or sent to thier designated spot (distributor/power brake booster, etc). Im starting to think its the carb...which when the engine was still in the truck it ran great, even during hard acceleration. Could it be my air/fuel ratio is messed up since i put an aluminum intake on? or could the quadra-jet just being crappy on me...any help suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

what rpms are you at when it does this?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

yeah when the quads were built in factory and put on those cars, they were junk but a quadrajet has sooooo many performance adjustments those carbs can be tweaked and tuned beyond anything ive ever seen, a guy in the states is the quad master and can make those puppies scream, if ya looked into it youd be amazed what they can do with those carbs and todays knowledge, but yes agreed original quadrajets are junk, rebuild it
Old 09-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #11
Lithium
CF Newbie

well, it has been rebuilt, about 3 or 4 months ago. The rpm range in 3rd gear is around 2500 i believe, and 4th is at 2000. Maybe i can try rebuilding it again, but i would like to be certain that a rebuild would fix it.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #12
adamc44
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap

oh, i didnt realize you are a junk collector. give me your address and instead of throwing all mine in the garbage where they belong, ill just send them to you.

dont waste your time or money rebuilding it!!!!!! THEY ARE 100% JUNK!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 AM   #13
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

sure.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 AM   #14
Lithium
CF Newbie

Well, i tryed a different carb, i believe it was a carter thermo-quad, and it still did the same thing. I decided to recheck my ignition timing, and found that my vacuum advance doesnt move or anything when vacuum is applied to it. Shouldnt the vacuum advance rod move back and forth if i take the vacuum off? The only problem i see with it NOT being the vacuum advance, is that i can be approx 60-75% throttle, right at the level if i gave it more gas and the secondaries would kick in, and it does just fine. This is stumping me a good one. Hopefully someone has a good idea , oh and i did put the quadra-jet back on it, since i had no problems out of it besides the sputtering when the secondaries open (experienced same problem with the carter)
Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 AM   #15
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

check if the advance plate is stuck, when good vacuum is applied it should move...that would cause some problems if it doesn't advance. get a new kick ass electronic distributor and ignition system...that would pep your car up