Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

Ems

well, the day im finally gonna make the car run again is even closer now (as long as this university doesnt screw up again). the only thing i have been very worried about is the EMS i want to install in the Supra after im done breaking everything in. i have plenty of time to do all the research necessary.

anyhow, im planning on most possibly doing research on programming EMS's and then MAYBE getting a certification later on..... but first, i wanna see if i can program my car myself with as little assistance as possible. ive been reading quite a lot and, with some computer know how (which i have plenty of) and some deeper automobile know how (i can bet i have that) i can do most of the work myself (and i know who to ask for help if i screw up).

anyhow, my question was, to those of u who have EMS's in ur cars, such as Haltech, MicroTech, AEM (), etc., just how well have they performed for ya? how much have they cost? wat features do they have? how hard was it to work with them? wat about their adaptability with different parts?

im even trying to find a comparison table with each of these providing the features each one of them has.... without taking sides of course. im doing this search already, but my headache is killing me and not having a pc at home YET slows me down since none of my friends knows how to search for this basic information using google......

anyhow, i bet $50 ChrisV will most probably be the first one to give me the actual answer to my questions and actually be educated and informative about it..... thanks anyways to the rest for trying

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

To be honest, teh Comet project is going to be teh first time I messed around with actual programming of and EMS (I'm going to use teh MegaSquirt'n'Spark setup to run teh Lexus engine in the very pre-computer chassis).

I have to mod teh twin distributors to just give a cam position sensor reading, and mod teh toothed ring on the crank for firing impulsess ot eh MSnS can control teh Ford EDIS wasted spark individual coils... I also have to ditch the MAF and replace it with stuff to give the MSnS MAP sensor a valid signal to control teh sequential injectors.

And the fun part is I get to build teh MSnS circuitboard myself as well as program it. And it's all virgin territory as that system isn't being used on any N/A 1UZ V8s right now (most people use much more expensive stuf, and I wasn't going to spend a grand on an electromotive unit JUST to get spark, much less teh injection contro lunit which usually runs closer to $2k).

I COULD have gone with a Holley on a manifold from some New Zealand racers, and did away with a lot of electronics, but where's the challenge in that?

So, I'm going to be learning a lot of new stuff, myself.

(see, I've told people I don't know everything).

The engine arrived from the recycler's yesterday, and is now sitting on a pallet in my garage... It's gonna be soooo sweet in the '63.

BTW, I'm now looking for a Supra W58 5 speed from a late '80s N/A supra.... cheap if possible.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

the W58 is 4 speed though...... if im remembering correctly (headache wont let me think properly). ill pm ya with a site that consists just of MKIII's which should help u out talk to some other owners that sell their auto tranny's. they usually do at least.

well, now at least i wont feel all alone in the "learning new big stuff" world.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The W58 is the later non turbo 5 speed. it's more than strong enough for the stock 1UZ, and wil be easier to hook up than the computer controlled autbox in the Lexus. I just have to adapt the Comet to manual with a hydraulic clutch setup. I'll just take the pedal setup out of the '63 Comet hardtop my stepson is getting (had a Ford I6 with a Mazda 5 speed in it, and it will be getting the 260 V8 and automatic that is stock in my convertible).

And yeah, building your own computer controlled EFI and ignition makes for a steep learning curve. But there's always time to learn something new!

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

btw, do you at least have friends or know of some people that have worked with these before and gotten results?

after the..... 2 and a half hour of searching and reading and massaging the eyes, i have come up with the Haltech E11V2 and E8, MicroTech LTX12, and the AEM unit.

the microtech one i will have to go ask the owner of the fastest street car in PR (street legal too) which is actually my very same car but in black, so im sure he will answer me about the microtech units.

i looked at the Motec M48...... but somehow, im not too convinced with their site......

and AEM.... well, the official site sells the product for over $2k, but ive found other sites selling the system for even less.... im sort of confused by it and i think im gonnna have to question this around the island. i know its a damn great system, maybe the best, but i would need to know if its completely worth the money.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Pretty much everyone I know uses the MegaSquirt, or Electromotive stuff (though there's not much of that in comparison). The fact that you can build a MS system for under $100 and it does basically all the same stuff as the expensive boxes is whay the real gearheads use it. And the guys that tend to use the big dollar stuff are either sponsored racers OR they are "off the rack" buyers that have someone ELSE tune the cars.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 09-17-2005, 02:25 AM   #7
importluva
Obsessed with imports

http://www.rx7club.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

^ lots of info about EMSs there, but that is at rx7club.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Pretty much everyone I know uses the MegaSquirt, or Electromotive stuff (though there's not much of that in comparison). The fact that you can build a MS system for under $100 and it does basically all the same stuff as the expensive boxes is whay the real gearheads use it. And the guys that tend to use the big dollar stuff are either sponsored racers OR they are "off the rack" buyers that have someone ELSE tune the cars.
if i could, i would, unless u wanna help me out