CF's Only Jersey Boy

What about the 2002 M5?

Thats my favortie beamer of all time and ill forever wish i owned one

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:27 AM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

th1100 wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything outside Accords and Camrys.

http://www.jdpower.com/special/powerreport/jaguar/

http://autointell-news.com/News-2005...y-25-05-p8.htm

And he has apparently never seen a pre-Ford Land Rover or Range Rover. Maybe he needs to check out the book I have here on restoring Land Rovers... (which I got to go with the '88 Range Rover we just picked up).

And he probably has never worked on pre-Ford Jaguars, either. I've worked on a few and have owned three, myself.

But then again, he doens't have ANY practical experience if it doesn't have to do with stereo installs.

The problems with recent Rovers have mostly to do with the last of the overbored GM/Rover based aluminum engines, designed in the 50s by Buick, and the last BMW sourced transmissions. Ford has since been replacing the Buick designed V8s with Jaguar-designed modern V8s. Ford bought Land Rover from BMW in 2000 and is just now getting Ford engineered Land Rovers to market. In 2003, there were NO Ford influenced Rovers on the market, but there WERE many BMW influenced ones breaking down. By the end of 2004 in excess of 452m was invested by Ford Motor Company into new tooling, equipment and training at Land Rover's manufacturing plant at Solihull. The new Defender 3 was the first vehicle to be built with Ford's complete influence, and the new Range Rover Sport is the latest.

Of course, someone like th1100 thinks that changes in the way cars are built happen instantly upon transferral of ownership...

Personally, I love Jags, and will have another one. Would be just perfect in the driveway next to the Range Rover.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #18
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Sorry I wasa doing this in installments and haven't really had time to finish, still have the Mroadster, Mcoupe, e39 M5, e46 M3, e60 M5, The M6 and the future M3 I still have to write about....Eventually.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:36 AM   #19
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Sorry I wasa doing this in installments and haven't really had time to finish, still have the Mroadster, Mcoupe, e39 M5, e46 M3, e60 M5, The M6 and the future M3 I still have to write about....Eventually.

What about the future m5?

Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 AM   #20
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
th1100 wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything outside Accords and Camrys.

And he has apparently never seen a pre-Ford Land Rover or Range Rover. Maybe he needs to check out the book I have here on restoring Land Rovers... (which I got to go with the '88 Range Rover we just picked up).

And he probably has never worked on pre-Ford Jaguars, either. I've worked on a few and have owned three, myself.

But then again, he doens't have ANY practical experience if it doesn't have to do with stereo installs.

The problems with recent Rovers have mostly to do with the last of the overbored GM/Rover based aluminum engines, designed in the 50s by Buick, and the last BMW sourced transmissions. Ford has since been replacing the Buick designed V8s with Jaguar-designed modern V8s. Ford bought Land Rover from BMW in 2000 and is just now getting Ford engineered Land Rovers to market. In 2003, there were NO Ford influenced Rovers on the market, but there WERE many BMW influenced ones breaking down. By the end of 2004 in excess of 452m was invested by Ford Motor Company into new tooling, equipment and training at Land Rover's manufacturing plant at Solihull. The new Defender 3 was the first vehicle to be built with Ford's complete influence, and the new Range Rover Sport is the latest.

Of course, someone like th1100 thinks that changes in the way cars are built happen instantly upon transferral of ownership...

Personally, I love Jags, and will have another one. Would be just perfect in the driveway next to the Range Rover.

I think you mean Discovery 3, or in North America, LR3.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:43 AM   #21
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDie4TheGov
What about the 2002 M5?

Thats my favortie beamer of all time and ill forever wish i owned one

Oh I have to agree with you on that, I aboslutely LOVE that car, everything about it is exactly the way it should be. The extremely scary ride I was given in one by a tech at a BMW dealership is one of the highlights of my car-related experience (and I've driven a ton of different cars. Unfortunately not the M5).

The other day my dad asked me what car I would buy if given $80,000 and that was the one I picked, without even thinking about it.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:55 AM   #22
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Way to iggy my statistics and go by soley the "initial reliability survey of a whopping 90 days of ownership". I posted what Jaguar did in 2003 for initial (not that initial matters as much as long term) and they did place very well. But in the long term they dropped way down to the dead middle of (brand wise) the industry average and last place.

Then you post some article about the X-Type, one of Jags biggest flops in recent years (in reliability and sales).

My dad once wanted a V8 S-Type...but once he talked to some neighbors about the reliability of theirs he was quickly turned off, and bought an RL.

Statistics dont lie, but you tend you.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I think you mean Discovery 3, or in North America, LR3.

You're right. I was just doing a cut and paste from a few different sources and didnt' check before hitting "submit." (you'll notice that part of the post was otherwise "typo-free" for that reason).

See, unlike some people claim, I do admit when I put something incorrect into a post.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:18 AM   #24
Mathew

Quote:
You're right. I was just doing a cut and paste from a few different sources and didnt' check before hitting "submit." (you'll notice that part of the post was otherwise "typo-free" for that reason).

See, unlike some people claim, I do admit when I put something incorrect into a post.

I think they are coming out with a new Defender though. That will be SWEET.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDie4TheGov
What about the future m5?

Its the e60
Old 10-03-2005, 01:53 AM   #26
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Oh I have to agree with you on that, I aboslutely LOVE that car, everything about it is exactly the way it should be. The extremely scary ride I was given in one by a tech at a BMW dealership is one of the highlights of my car-related experience (and I've driven a ton of different cars. Unfortunately not the M5).

The other day my dad asked me what car I would buy if given $80,000 and that was the one I picked, without even thinking about it.

Great minds think alike

Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #27
Mathew

Still waiting for the next episode here...
Old 10-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #28
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

The e39 m5:

DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, BMW MS S52 engine-control system with port fuel injection

Price: $69,970
Miles Per Gallon: 13/21 mpg
Curb Weight: 3957 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Displacement: 4941 cc
Horsepower: 394 bhp @ 6600 rpm
Torque: 369 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm

0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
0-100 mph: 11.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.3 sec @ 108 mph
Skidpad: .90g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 129 ft
Slalom Speed: 64.7 mph

Yep, its the crowd pleaser.

The e39 M5 is widely hailed as one of the most beautiful, comfortable, powerful, and just plain sexy BMWs ever made. It was the first BMW to come with an 8 cylinder engine, or a V configuration for that matter. It was, when it came out, literally the most poweful Sedan in the world, beating out its closest competiton by more then 30 horsepower.

The car is classy, with a huge luxurious interior, rich leather, wood paneling, and understated looks. But that is the point of the car, you are supposed to be able to drive your boss to a bussiness meeting and impress him with your taste, but then go to the track on the weekend and tear up a Porsche or 2, or 5, or 10. Because this call not only handles like an M should, but its break neck fast as well, with a 0-60 of 4.9 and a quarter mile of 13.3, this car can kick it in the straights like a V8...Oh wait it is...

"M's starting point for the new M5 was the 540i 6-Speed sedan. The 540i is powered by an already brilliant V8 engine, the M62 4.4-liter DOHC 32 valve unit developing 282 horsepower. But M's engineers have a tradition to uphold: elevating BMW engines to even greater levels of technological innovation.

To this end, M developed a new version of the V8 engine, endowing it with exciting new technologies. Called the S62, this engine is the new masterpiece of M Power. The M5 engine takes M Power to a new level. Its key features reflect the care with which BMW M uses to develop an already powerful BMW engine into a full-on sports powerplant. The M5 engine develops 394 horsepower and 369 pounds-feet of torque at 3,800 rpm."

-BMWs presentation of the e39 M5 at the Munich auto show in 1997

Last edited by Zalight : 10-16-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #29
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Old 10-16-2005, 03:42 AM   #30
99integra
CF's Florida boy

What about the M1, can't forget that beauty