Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
Shane0
CF Newbie

My first car! Suggestions?

Hey guys, new to the community here, looking forward to learning more!

Might as well start off with a question, being that no one I know, knows a thing about cars. (Yeah, I need new friends eh? )

Just recently hit 17, and like alot of teens my age, always looking for my first car. I have saved up a bit of money, and would like all your opinions on what car I should be looking for. I want a sport car, used, looks decent, has a respectable amount of power, fairly good with gas mileage, and the car insurance cant be completely killer.
(I'm on my own here, car, insurance and all. )

Price range, around 2,500. Yeah, and I dont know much about cars either. Thats why I am here. I dont care if its a stick or not, I can learn.

Thanks, appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited by Shane0 : 09-20-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Shane0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

You can't get anything with 2,500 really.

Your looking at IF your lucky, 87 cars that get 24 miles to the gallon HIGHWAY (we've come a long way and that's just an estimate but I bet it's not far off).

Just get a Nissan 350 or whatever it's called. You bassicaly need about 6k for a decent car.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Shaun
CF Newbie

My first car ...

Was and is still a 1993 Geo Storm . I think I saw your question about storms on another site . I bought mine for 800 . I had to get a lot done but I personally like the car . It gets great gas milage ( about 32 mpg ) and corners like its on rails . It only has 90 horsepower but the low weight of the car makes up for that . I have an automatic and I dont have any problem beating any other 4 clyl off the line , some 6's too . Parts can be expensive but Im learning it doesnt matter what car you have . Some parts are more for one car than another . Low beam headlights for my car cost 32 dollars each . But then tires cost me 20 a piece . Let me know what you think .
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well you could always get a 3rd generation Camaro or Trans Am/Firebird (1982-1992). They are around your price range in pretty good shape and they are 'sporty' and can be fast (better with 305 or 350 engine). As far as i know, they arent too bad on gas either (not as good as say Honda or Toyota but not bad for a 'sporty' car).

1987 CAMARO:

1987 TRANS AM/FIREBIRD:

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 09-20-2005 at 05:07 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast

volkswagen sciroccos are fast, if somewhat unreliable. but they are hard 2 find, if u come acros one the 88's are the best w/ the 16 valve engines. they can be bought in like new condition 4 $2,500. they are the most recent sports car from volkswagen.

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Shane0
CF Newbie

I know Saturns dont come up as often as other cars, and most likely for good reason, but I saw a car for sale near my house...

1992 Saturn SC Coupe

Anyone give me any good information about them? (Looked them up, people seem to be split, some say not enough power, others dont like the look, others say they crap out at about 100,000 miles....)
Shane0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Not too sure about Saturns reliability (from what i've heard, its not too bad). If it all comes down to looks, then it becomes your choice based on what it looks like to you. I think it might be worth checking the Saturn out, cant hurt really.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Was and is still a 1993 Geo Storm . I think I saw your question about storms on another site . I bought mine for 800 . I had to get a lot done but I personally like the car . It gets great gas milage ( about 32 mpg ) and corners like its on rails . It only has 90 horsepower but the low weight of the car makes up for that . I have an automatic and I dont have any problem beating any other 4 clyl off the line , some 6's too . Parts can be expensive but Im learning it doesnt matter what car you have . Some parts are more for one car than another . Low beam headlights for my car cost 32 dollars each . But then tires cost me 20 a piece . Let me know what you think .

Haha. Thats just funny how naive you are. I can see you gunning it against a v6 accord, the guy in it isn't even aware of you, as you reach your desired speed faster than him, big grin on your face, thinking of how fast your car is, and then later posting about how your car "has no problem beating other 4clyl off the line , some 6's too ."
Old 09-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
V-TECH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well you could always get a 3rd generation Camaro or Trans Am/Firebird (1982-1992). They are around your price range in pretty good shape and they are 'sporty' and can be fast (better with 305 or 350 engine). As far as i know, they arent too bad on gas either (not as good as say Honda or Toyota but not bad for a 'sporty' car).

1987 CAMARO:

1987 TRANS AM/FIREBIRD:

yes that would work except i am sure insurance would be a killer.
A crx is cheap and insurance should be low. Maybe and older integra like a 92.
V-TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #10
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

w/e generation of accord the 1989 model was, got mine for 2000 and it's fine except for timing belts, which was about 200 i think. The air conditioner may be on it's way out though.
EDIT-whoops didn't see sports car, everyone else is probably right then, it'll be hard to find something...

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote