Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #31
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I agree Ford is doing better than GM, but the Freestyle is nothing to write home about and the Fusion is just a step better than Taurus was, still no Accord Camry or Altima beater.

Yes, can someone tell me why they now have the Excursion Expedition Explorer Escape and now the Freestyle? Am I missing something? Why do they have so many different SUV's I can understand having 3 different ones but not 5...

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #32
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Yes, can someone tell me why they now have the Excursion Expedition Explorer Escape and now the Freestyle? Am I missing something? Why do they have so many different SUV's I can understand having 3 different ones but not 5...

The excursion is out of production as of this coming model year. But yeah, I think it's rediculous too. I also think way too many people have bought Explorers over the years and there are so many better SUV's out there to choose from (ie, Honda Pilot).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #33
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
The excursion is out of production as of this coming model year. But yeah, I think it's rediculous too. I also think way too many people have bought Explorers over the years and there are so many better SUV's out there to choose from (ie, Honda Pilot).

I have never ridden in one or anything but from my experience with explorer's I love them. And I figured osmethin was gonna happen with the Excursion soon because of gas prices and all.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 09-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #34
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I have never ridden in one or anything but from my experience with explorer's I love them. And I figured osmethin was gonna happen with the Excursion soon because of gas prices and all.
My freind has an Excursion, and I like riding in it, you feel like you're on top of the world in that thing.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #35
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
My freind has an Excursion, and I like riding in it, you feel like you're on top of the world in that thing.

Sorry I meant about the Honda Pilot because he was saying how nice they were compared to explorer's

Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 AM   #36
cowman85
CF Newbie

just look at the quality of vehicles GM has now, compared to 20 years ago. same thing with toyota, its not hard to see what company is better and will remain that way, who wants to buy something that is going to prolly crap out past the warranty. people are starting to get smart and think for the long run, why buy GM when you know you will get a quality vehicle for a little extra with toyota etc?
I think its a matter or GM realizing and being able to afford to make that next step in time, if not i would definitely say that i would be alive to see gm burn to the ground.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #37
corbett_auto
CF Addict

What bothers me the most about the current trend in the car market is gas mileage. Think back to the small cars of the 80's from both japan & the US......

I had a 84 Nissan Sentre that no matter how hard you drove it, it got 40+ MPG. And it had a carb. With modern tech, there is no reason the small cars should be any less...... now they make a big deal out of anything that gets better than 25. And how about the CRX-HF, hell, it got near 50MPG.

All of the Hybrid talk if great, but something has gotten lost over time. I agree with the previous posts.... Build some cars that people will actually buy, make then RWD, make 'em fast, then build some slow with high MPG's for the Go Green folks, and while your at it build trucks that are meant to work in, loose the power heated leather seats, Vinyl bench with a rubber floor mat, powerful V8 with 4WD.....

The US car makers really need to sit down and take a long hard look at what we want ----- "if you build it they will come"

Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Hybrids aren't even all that great. My father had a brand new V6 avalon which averaged 30hwy and 24city. Then he bought a 4cyl camry hybrid and got 35mpg. I expected 40 or more but nope, smaller car with a 4cyl hybrid motor only got 5mpg over the bigger body v6.
As far as GM going under. I doubt it. I think we'll see chrysler and GM join up before that happens. But it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #39
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
What bothers me the most about the current trend in the car market is gas mileage. Think back to the small cars of the 80's from both japan & the US......

I had a 84 Nissan Sentre that no matter how hard you drove it, it got 40+ MPG. And it had a carb. With modern tech, there is no reason the small cars should be any less...... now they make a big deal out of anything that gets better than 25. And how about the CRX-HF, hell, it got near 50MPG.

In the UK you we two generally different views. we have those who want fast cars and don't care about the MPG, and we have those who don't care so much about the performance and want high miles to the gallon. Then we have those who want all the speed etc, but still want the good consumption...I'm of the latter view, although I'm at the point now whereby I'd happily drive an 850cc Daewoo Matiz and get 50mpg, because I recent paying even the strangely low price of 86.9p per litre of fuel at the pumps.

It's obvioulsly a different way of working accross the pond, but in the UK most modern cars return upwards of 40mpg, with some family sized diesel models returning upwards of 60mpg. Infact, the only cars we have that do 25mpg are the Subaru Imprezas and high end Mercs of this world.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #40
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

All of the Hybrid talk if great, but something has gotten lost over time. I agree with the previous posts.... Build some cars that people will actually buy, make then RWD, make 'em fast, then build some slow with high MPG's for the Go Green folks, and while your at it build trucks that are meant to work in, loose the power heated leather seats, Vinyl bench with a rubber floor mat, powerful V8 with 4WD.....

The US car makers really need to sit down and take a long hard look at what we want ----- "if you build it they will come"

After having this discussion on other car boards, it's been reasoned that the problem is safety, nvh, and emissions that are at the root of that issue. Crash structures, air bags, better brakes, etc, all contribute to heavier cars at the same size point. Quieter cars require more sound deadening and stiffer structures, which raise weight. Higher weight requires more power to move, so lower mpg. And meeting ever lower emissions requires some changes that often affect mpgs, as well.

A CRX HF got great fuel mileage, but isn't as safe in a crash as a modern Smart, and it's much tinnier and less comfortable than a new Fit (which is also quicker, stops better and handles better, and is more useful overall as a car than that HF).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #41
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
.......and it's much tinnier and less comfortable than a new Fit (which is also quicker, stops better and handles better, and is more useful overall as a car than that HF).

There.... you make my point. What if someone does not want: quick, quite, and/or handleling? What if all I/you/anyone want is high MPG? Or Speed? Car companies continue to offer cars with multiple badges that mean very little. What I would like to see is make the little letters after the model mean something.... take a car platform and do more than just add foglights, pin stripes, etc. Build one with no frills High MPG, build one with luxury interior, build one with no frills speed & handleling, etc... You could label them HF (high fuel), HE (high end), HS (High Sport).

Does this not make sense to anyone else?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #42
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Please read the following before continuing this thread...

New Thread

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #43
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
There.... you make my point. What if someone does not want: quick, quite, and/or handleling? What if all I/you/anyone want is high MPG?

Not enough buyers to make it feasable. Simply put. The kind of person that wants to get by as cheaply as possible, isn't going to spend extra money to buy NEW anymore.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #44
51chevrolet
CF Newbie

the economy is junk

GM is doing good compared to alot of the competitors, i believe they still have more market share than ford and toyota did have the majority of the market share but i don't expect anyone to do well with selling anything that is brand new. nobody has money i am one of those people
Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #45
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevrolet
GM is doing good compared to alot of the competitors, i believe they still have more market share than ford and toyota did have the majority of the market share but i don't expect anyone to do well with selling anything that is brand new. nobody has money i am one of those people

GM isn't doing good. Even with the bailout money (that Ford didn't take) they are heading towards bankruptcy quite rapidly.

www.midatlantic7s.com