Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #46
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
Yeah I am sure that all those super models out there give their permission so kids can use them on their desktops
There is a slight difference between using it on their desktop or using it as a signiture on a web forum. On one hand it is used in the privacy of their own home on the other it is being used publicly with or without permission. It is the latter usage (without permission) that could get somebody in trouble.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #47
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
There is a slight difference between using it on their desktop or using it as a signiture on a web forum. On one hand it is used in the privacy of their own home on the other it is being used publicly with or without permission. It is the latter usage (without permission) that could get somebody in trouble.

That's just if you are using it for profits, just because people here have pictures of cars in their sigs, they don't have to pay for displaying the car publicly...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #48
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
That's like saying all of us putting cars in our sigs could get us in trouble because the designs are copywrighted.....

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #49
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
That's like saying all of us putting cars in our sigs could get us in trouble because the designs are copywrighted.....

Beat you
Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #50
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Beat you
Actually I was gonna put that up last night but I got bumped from the internet and it was late so I just went to bed. Then I forgot about doing this morning. But yes technically you beat me.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 09-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #51
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
That's just if you are using it for profits, just because people here have pictures of cars in their sigs, they don't have to pay for displaying the car publicly...
Not necessarily. Cars are somewhat different in that they are public domain. However, if a photographer took a particular picture of a car, copyrighted it, and you liked it so much you made it your sig without his permission, you could be in trouble. Same thing with the picture of the girl. If Voda took the picture himself then there should be no issue. However, if it is one of her publicity shots that she has copyrighted then he could be in violation.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #52
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
I still say BS. You are blowing this out of proportion. Post something useful, not some non-existint difference (which there is no dif between "at home" or here). Either way it is an image that the ppl using didnt take, end of story. Now back to submissions...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #53
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Shouldn't we vote or something on the submissions?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #54
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
I still say BS. You are blowing this out of proportion. Post something useful, not some non-existint difference (which there is no dif between "at home" or here). Either way it is an image that the ppl using didnt take, end of story. Now back to submissions...
You can say BS all you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright Law of the United States of America
106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works36
Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.
You may have done #2 (if her picture is copyrighted).....and then you did #3.

Perhaps it is out of proportion. It probably isn't a big deal. But it is something you should be aware of.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #55
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
You can say BS all you want.

You may have done #2 (if her picture is copyrighted).....and then you did #3.

Perhaps it is out of proportion. It probably isn't a big deal. But it is something you should be aware of.
Like I said you are a lil kid blowing it out of proportion. I said drop it and get back to what is really at hand here once, I won't repeat myself. Nearly every single person in this forum is guilty of #2, almost none of the pics we use are our own work. Yeah who gives a flying $#^%. #3, am I making money off this pic???? No, it is purely art. So I am glad that you can use the internet, but don't post here again in this thread without a submission, you are missing the point. Mods can you get the usless stuff removed from this thread so we can get back to the reason it was made a sticky?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #56
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Yes please lets get back to the topic at hand which is photoshop and sigs or whatever you can come up with using it. I just threw this sig together. Nothing too special about it.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #57
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Like I said you are a lil kid blowing it out of proportion. I said drop it and get back to what is really at hand here once, I won't repeat myself. Nearly every single person in this forum is guilty of #2, almost none of the pics we use are our own work. Yeah who gives a flying $#^%. #3, am I making money off this pic???? No, it is purely art. So I am glad that you can use the internet, but don't post here again in this thread without a submission, you are missing the point. Mods can you get the usless stuff removed from this thread so we can get back to the reason it was made a sticky?
And who are you to dictate who posts on a thread and who doesn't?

In a thread about photoshopping pictures, I think that copyright laws are definately relevant. Everybody thought downloading music for free was a great thing too. Well, guess what, it wasn't. A few lawsuits later and now you have to pay for your online music.

Did you notice anything in the LAW I posted about having to make money off of it? You didn't? That's because it isn't there. All you have to do is....
#1 - use a copyrighted work without permission (prepare deriviative works - this includes art)
and
#2 - publicly distribute it

Am I accusing you? Criticizing you? No. So what's the big deal? All I'm trying to do is make people aware of their actions and potential consequences. Would you rather them go about ignorant?

Why are you getting so offensive about this? Are you pissy because you're not getting as many people as you hoped for your little contest? Perhaps you could just admit that it is something to be aware of and move on.

Show this "little kid" that you're man enough.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #58
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by theman352001
And who are you to dictate who posts on a thread and who doesn't?
In a thread about photoshopping pictures, I think that copyright laws are definately relevant. Everybody thought downloading music for free was a great thing too. Well, guess what, it wasn't. A few lawsuits later and now you have to pay for your online music.
Did you notice anything in the LAW I posted about having to make money off of it? You didn't? That's because it isn't there. All you have to do is....
#1 - use a copyrighted work without permission (prepare deriviative works - this includes art)
and
#2 - publicly distribute it

Am I accusing you? Criticizing you? No. So what's the big deal? All I'm trying to do is make people aware of their actions and potential consequences. Would you rather them go about ignorant?

Why are you getting so offensive about this? Are you pissy because you're not getting as many people as you hoped for your little contest? Perhaps you could just admit that it is something to be aware of and move on.
Show this "little kid" that you're man enough.

Okay sure were using copyright images but it's not like companies are gonna come out and start suing us for using a picture of the car or using a models picture. In a way were advertising for them by joining forums and showing off their product in our sig. As for file sharing that will never be stopped cause if the programs are down theres others ways of doing it but they don't think of it that way. All you would have to do is go to your friends house with a external hard drive and save all his music into there and vice versa. Now if we could get back to the original topic.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #59
hhsrastler92
CF's Weekend Warrior

Quote:
A few lawsuits later and now you have to pay for your online music.

i dont pay an i nvr will lol i downloaded photoshop for free to

^My kids^
hhsrastler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #60
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Yes please lets get back to the topic at hand which is photoshop and sigs or whatever you can come up with using it. I just threw this sig together. Nothing too special about it.
very nice

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV