Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
SR20DET 33 67.35%
KA24DET 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGodOfBiskut
jzxTT, click the link. here, i'll give it again:

PWNAGE!!
that's how the skyline gets pwned strong time... yeah... just informing, not arguing
Ok, we all make typo's, once, but the same typo twice?...or was that deliberate?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 PM   #32
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Ok, we all make typo's, once, but the same typo twice?...or was that deliberate?

Internet ghetto lingo. Language of the ignorant.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #33
importluva
Obsessed with imports

no brainer here, sr20>>>ka anyday. and why botherwith 600+ hp, it's pointless and pure insanity.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:18 AM   #34
dsc4130
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
it costs more to swap out a ka24DE and swap in an SR20det than it does to turbo the ka24DE. besides you dont need real High revs to make power, thats just plain SILLY. all engines have something called a powerband and if you stay within that powerband your fine. if i got a 240sx id stick with the ka motor simply because torque is your friend on the street. and it can be as competitive as the sr.

Ummmm..... the silvia and the 240sx are the Exact same car, differences arent that big, ones rhd ones lhd, one has a turbo motor one has a n/a motor. They are Very different cars. i dont even know why you said that.....the looks are exterior only, They share the same damn body and chassie

you say it is cheaper to turbo a ka but in the long run its not. none of the internal are forged. so in the long run it would be better to spend the 2-3k on an sr or 3-4k to fix and fully build a ka. do get me wrong i love my ka but unless my ka was fully built i wouldn't turbo it.that a good way to screw up a great drift car.
dsc4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:54 AM   #35
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

ummmm....the S15 sr20 does not pump out 250hp naturally aspirated. Its turbo as well, i just want to correct people who think that the SR20 is NA. DO NOT START WITH THE AMERICAN VS IMPORT STUFF AGAIN!! Every car has its own pros and cons, you cannot compare one car to another, just admire and respect them both. If anyone had enough money you can make any car beat any other car. BTW, skylines do not own the drag strip, even though im a skyline freak, the skyline is special because of its ATTESA system, not because of its power. Muslce cars can own skylines on the drag strip, no matter what. Max on skyline is around 1500hp, max on most muslce cars 5000hp. But a real race with turns, now that is what you want to see.

anyways thats my
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #36
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

thats my kind of race right there... my view on races = no turns, no watch (unless im really bored)
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #37
neil
CF Newbie

old thread, i know.

noone mentioned that most all 240SX's have over 100,000 miles. Even finding a '98 with under 70,000 is rare. Personally, my 1993 S13 Hatch just clocked 186,000. Theres no way in hell i'd consider slapping a turbo kit on that motor now... Turboing a KA would be allright but in fact it would be so much more work... Getting the KADE ready for turbo would mean uprated rod/main bearings, uprated head gasket and lower compression pistons, cylinder hone and uprated rings and an uprated clutch. Then there's the "while im at it's" which can entail port and polish, more agressive cams, better head studs... etc... thats easily over a grand in parts plus work or money to have someone do it for you PLUS the $3000 GReddy kit.

Then there's the SR20DET. A typical S14 blacktop (newer, less miles, larger turbo) entire front clip is at most around $3300 shipped, and, given you are technically able and have the tools and space, is a mere long weekend's worth of work involving no hairy engine building process. Remove both motors, install SR20DET motor (with new clutch, +$250), side mount intercooler, radiator, and wiring harness with minimal fabrication along the way into the USDM chassis and Bam: you have a 'stock' 205hp 240sx at 7psi. Get a boost controller, fmic kit and cams and get ready to see reliable 240RWHP and high 12's all day.

Then sell your KA24DE in the local paper for $100.
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #38
Inygknok
El del Supra

heh, good thing this thread got brought back. there IS such a thing as the NA version of the SR20DET. Sentra SE-R's form the late 80's have it. theres actually quite a few models with the engine, but thats the first one that comes to mind.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #39
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

umm? surly that wouldn't be a det then would it? if its n/a? at least not a "t" i mean.

don't mean to pick hairs.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:28 AM   #40
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
umm? surly that wouldn't be a det then would it? if its n/a? at least not a "t" i mean.

don't mean to pick hairs.

read wat i said. i said there was an NA version of the SR20DET. meaning that yes, there is such a thing as an SR20DE. someone said that the sr20's only came in a turbo trim, and i corrected them by saying that there was an NA version of that engine.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #41
alms
CF Newbie

the ka is a great engine. If you guys would read sport compact car you would know this. All you need for a KA24DET is of course a turbo kit, new pistons and rods (check out jim wolf technology.com), and some cams. And you'll have way more torqure then a SR could ever give u.
alms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:33 PM   #42
s13_Drifter
CF Newbie

Ka is a good engine, the only reason why it doesnt make the amount of horses like the sr does, is because of the stroke, its just too much compression for that little engine to be turbocharged, granite if it was brought to the full potential, it would be a fine engine. But the sr20 just doent have the problems like the Ka24. Though the Ka can have all the problems fixed, be a good engine, you could always get a JUN stroker kit and get the power of the sr20 and the torque of the Ka24, then replace the turbo and some usual things, i.e.- cams, ignition, valvetrain, stuff like that. and you would have a monster.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:26 PM   #43
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

SIDENOTE:

I saw a Nissan Sylvia at lunch today with a huge NISMO sticker on the rear quarter panel...it must be a fast car!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:56 AM   #44
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

sr20det is a great engine in the sylvia, but I hate it in the nissan gti-r. slow as school custard down the wall!

as far as drifting engines go though, i still prefer the rb20det from the r32 skylines. I'm not an experianced drifter or anything, but i find it easyer in the old r32 skyline to the s13 sylvia we have here at the moment.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #45
TiCKD
CF Newbie

hahahahahah, you're very funny.

Dude if you never heard anyone said the ka is better than the sr20, well, I have.(although i do love the sr20, You people are making it look bad ). Any way, you only say that the sr20 is better is becuase it's an import engine!!! And dude have you ever seen or heard anything about a turbocharged ka. Those things can be hitting in the 10 secound. The best i've ever heard of a sr20det (built by proffesional) hit in the low 12 sec. ANNNNNND, as you can see now, GREDDY has made a turbo kit for the ka24de, I think they saw something in that engine when they stared into it, Soooooooo, i guess part of japan think the ka24 is as good as a sr20det. I am not hear to say that the ka is any better than the sr20 like you nut head. I love the both silvia and 240sx. I respect both cars and only compare and kill Hondas with them. Why should we put the same cars in a conflict???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
?? ive never heard of anyone saying the Ka's better than the sr20... as far as i know the KA is the American 240sx engine..... the sr20 is an import...... even a turbo charged KA cant compare to a stock sr20det (S15[250hp]) .. ... y dont we make it fair... a turbo charged sr20 vs. a turbo charged ka24... so this goes back to American vs. import.. we all know who owns who... ..... what American made car beats a 1350hp skyline???????????
TiCKD is offline   Reply With Quote