Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
SR20DET 33 67.35%
KA24DET 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 PM   #46
MakotoS13
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
you guys are nuts. knocking the KA cause its based on what was originally a truck engine?

i guess you folks never heard of a little thing called a ford lightning.

personally i don't like either of them. i don't see any perfect motors for my application. i want 250 NA hp to the wheels WITH the same torque. the SR's valvetrain is GLASS and you JDM junkies don't even know it. the KA is a tank compared to the SR. its perfect but the powerband is a lot less linear than most motors due to its torquey nature.

i want a 350Z powerplant in my sub 2700 lb car but a KA-T will do me just fine.

the retardation of humanity constantly amazes me.

p.s. any of you that think "drifting" has anything significantly to do with the powerplant you're wrong and should be punished for beign a retarded fanboy.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 AM   #47
MrBojangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
IMO the KA is superior in the turbo form. Its internals are strong as hell and will run 15 psi easily stock. Not to mention if those are replaced you can easily see huge #'s.... don't believe me? check out KA-T.org. The owner just dynoed his ka24det at 29 PSI and hit 535 hp, however torque wasnt accurate because during the run his had so much power his tires spun on the dyno wheels causing much lower than real #'s (not to mention his clutch gave out at around 5200 rpms while his #'s where still rising). BTW to correct ur first mistake the 240sx redlines at 6500 rpm's so there is only a 1k difference. The power of a KA-T i think is truly underestimated. You all claim that the SR20det is like a saviour compared to it but in reality how many SR20dets can be built by an individual to hit the 10 second mark? I have seen (yeah as in person and watched them race) 2 different individuals and their KA-T projects hit 9.89 and the other was 10.12 (<- had tire slip at start even w/ drag slicks). O and Neil i own a 1996 240sx SE w/ only 54k miles ty very much.

I do give the SR20det credit when it comes to drift and auto x. That is truly where that extra 1k rpm's will become beneficial.

And for my final point, DXC4130 you are a true moron . $3500 will get u a t3/t40E turbo +all components (injectors, ignition kit, piggyback unit, forged low compression pistons, forged rods, 18x12x3 intercooler + piping, ect.). For 3500 on an s14 blacktop sr20det u get the engine plus install and maybe 1-2 mods (how about a boost controller and new IC if ur lucky and get good prices).... now lets compare those #'s.

SR20DET for $3500: (est.): 275 hp if ur have a nicely tuned rom... but wait that costs more so lets even it off at 250 hp... at maybe 10 PSI but u cant go much higher because ur turbo wont handle above 12-13 PSI. so lets throw in another 1k for a new turbo and finally u can run around the 300's.

KA24DE-T for $3500 ($3564.11 to be exact): (est): 320 hp at 12 PSI. Yes i have the dynos sitting in my hands for these #'s from my local 240 car clubs leader.

I don't discount the SR20Det because i do believe it is a good motor for some applications or events. However in the drag and sheer power it is inferior to the KA-T.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:37 AM   #48
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
I like the SR20, a good drift engine. Here in Australia we don't get the KA24.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #49
MrBojangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
I like the SR20, a good drift engine. Here in Australia we don't get the KA24.


once again cant disagree. the sr20 is the better of the 2 for drifting.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 AM   #50
MrBojangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
?? ive never heard of anyone saying the Ka's better than the sr20... as far as i know the KA is the American 240sx engine..... the sr20 is an import...... even a turbo charged KA cant compare to a stock sr20det (S15[250hp]) .. ... y dont we make it fair... a turbo charged sr20 vs. a turbo charged ka24... so this goes back to American vs. import.. we all know who owns who... ..... what American made car beats a 1350hp skyline???????????


Um how about a domestic top fuel dragster? they make what a lil bit under 8k hp (estimated because no dyno will read even half of that) and launch acceleration is a lil under 8g's. meaning this dragster gets to 335 mph around 4.5 seconds (record being 4.477 seconds)..... thats an american made car that just owned the shit outta ur skyline. so truly now.... who does own who?
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #51
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
Ok, I know this has undoubtedly been said, but here is my two cents on this topic.
Knocking tha ka24de because it was formerly in trucks is probably the dumbest shit I've ever heard. They are obviously reliable and BUILT to take the beating of a turbo.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
2.4>2.0
Duh.
Also: to do an engine swap for an engine with less reliability and les potential would be a large waste of time, and if you are aiming for performance, you will not do so. Only JDM fanboys do sr20 swaps.
Oh yeah, I'm assuming we are discussing the redtop 200hp sr20, right? Because the blacktop s15 sr20det engine ****in BUCKS (250hp)
Yes, the ka24 has a more narrow powerband, but its torque as heck, perfect for drifting, light to light races, or whatever else except highspeed races.
One last point: if you do an sr20 swap, and anything goes wrong, you will have to special order all of the (extremely) expensive parts. Everything from air filters to a new master cylinder, and you will have to do all the work yourself (very few shops know wtf to do with a jdm engine, especially a turbo sr20)
So in conclusion, ka24 pwns.
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #52
MrBojangles
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_DuB13
Ok, I know this has undoubtedly been said, but here is my two cents on this topic.
Knocking tha ka24de because it was formerly in trucks is probably the dumbest shit I've ever heard. They are obviously reliable and BUILT to take the beating of a turbo.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
2.4>2.0
Duh.
Also: to do an engine swap for an engine with less reliability and les potential would be a large waste of time, and if you are aiming for performance, you will not do so. Only JDM fanboys do sr20 swaps.
Oh yeah, I'm assuming we are discussing the redtop 200hp sr20, right? Because the blacktop s15 sr20det engine ****in BUCKS (250hp)
Yes, the ka24 has a more narrow powerband, but its torque as heck, perfect for drifting, light to light races, or whatever else except highspeed races.
One last point: if you do an sr20 swap, and anything goes wrong, you will have to special order all of the (extremely) expensive parts. Everything from air filters to a new master cylinder, and you will have to do all the work yourself (very few shops know wtf to do with a jdm engine, especially a turbo sr20)
So in conclusion, ka24 pwns.


Even though i do support the Ka24Det, but you argue out of ignorance . First of all u talk about drifting yet u know nothing about it. A wide powerband is needed for drifting because in the middle of a drift the last thing u want to do is have to shift. While depressing the clutch your tires would stop getting power and regain traction when you are still sideways. Trust me not a fun way to go through a corner.
Second of all you act like the only performance parts you can get for a sr20 is through Nissan or Nismo. You must be kidding me! Performance parts for the sr20det are more common than the ones for the Ka24Det. This is because companies really havent found the potential in the Ka yet and designed parts for them.

I still support the KA-T over the SR20 but i feel the general obligation to give ppl accurate information on this. You apparently enjoy talking with no knowledge whatsoever. Way ta go!
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #53
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast
 
b_DuB13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Posts: 109
Sorry, but I have very little experience in drifiting (obviously) I've watched plenty of videos and read plenty of articles, but the only hands on experience I have is mostly drag or road racing.
I'm a huge drift enthusiast, but have absolutely no money for the sets and sets of tires that it takes to participate reguraly.
Also, I do realize that availability for sr20's and parts are increasing, but currently are not as abundant as you insist they are. All I know is my friend has a 97 with ka24 and has never had trouble finding parts, including a turbo kit.
Anywho, I opted to avoid both and go rb20det.

P.s. I hope you are not looking for a flame war. I joined these forums to learn more, which you certainly have assisted me in doing. I greatly Appreciate the knowledge that you have freely shared with me and the other CF'ers.
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #54
dank-ka
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1
need info on turbo kit

I currently own a 96 240sx and of course have been debating swaping w/sr but recently had a change of heart cause it seems just plane ignorant to swap out a perfectly good engine. Anyway, im curious as to what turbo kit you think is the best, and where i could purchase one? My 240 has 82k on the car and im also curious as to what else i need besides whats included in the kit... Any info is much appretiated cause my head is starting to hurt from all the info on this topic....

Last edited by dank-ka : 01-20-2005 at 08:29 PM.
dank-ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #55
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank-ka
I currently own a 96 240sx and of course have been debating swaping w/sr but recently had a change of heart cause it seems just plane ignorant to swap out a perfectly good engine. Anyway, im curious as to what turbo kit you think is the best, and where i could purchase one? My 240 has 82k on the car and im also curious as to what else i need besides whats included in the kit... Any info is much appretiated cause my head is starting to hurt from all the info on this topic....

It depends what your goning to use the care for, if it's just for crusing or a daily driver then as you said there's not reason to swap out a perfectly good engine. However if you wanted to start drifting the sr20 would be the wiser choice.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #56
MakotoS13
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
you people are retarded. arguing about a motor that needs a huge powerband to make power for this faggot drifting craze? eff drifting and all you SR20 JDM fanboys.

what breaks tires loose? torque. quess what displacement gives: torque.

i've seen people with stock KA open diffs outshine guys just like all of you preaching for the almighty glass valvetrained SR...

get a 500hp longblock KAT and call it a day.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:36 AM   #57
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
get a 500hp longblock KAT and call it a day.

Get a 1000hp OS GIKEN RB30DETT and call it a day.
__________________


Last edited by GreekWarrior : 01-22-2005 at 12:50 AM.
GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:44 AM   #58
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
you people are retarded. arguing about a motor that needs a huge powerband to make power for this faggot drifting craze? eff drifting and all you SR20 JDM fanboys.

what breaks tires loose? torque. quess what displacement gives: torque.

i've seen people with stock KA open diffs outshine guys just like all of you preaching for the almighty glass valvetrained SR...

get a 500hp longblock KAT and call it a day.

As torque seems to have become the measure of performance amongst internet rev heads, perhaps you can clarify why displacement gives torque? I am interested because I thought pistons moved in a linear motion, not annular.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #59
lelek
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 7
sr is way overrated .red top sr makes 205 hp at the crank (stock ) which is 170whp , there is a lot of ka24de engines with boltons that make 150-165whp. turbo ka with greddy kit + intercooler and you have 220 whp @7psi all for 3000$ and very nice power band , full boost from 3500 rpms ,low rpm torq. here is link to dyno slips of some ka running different kit

http://www.ka24development.com/file_...-03_.55bar.jpg

this ka is making 247 whp at only 8 psi . your stock sr can't make this kind of power on stock turbo , maybe 220-230whp if you are lucky @ 16 psi .
so if you have low milage ka (under 100k) it would be cheeper to buy greddy kit and have 220whp , nice tq + smoke legal wich some of us care a lot
everything for about 3000$
lelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #60
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelek
sr is way overrated .red top sr makes 205 hp at the crank (stock ) which is 170whp , there is a lot of ka24de engines with boltons that make 150-165whp. turbo ka with greddy kit + intercooler and you have 220 whp @7psi all for 3000$ and very nice power band , full boost from 3500 rpms ,low rpm torq. here is link to dyno slips of some ka running different kit

http://www.ka24development.com/file_...-03_.55bar.jpg

this ka is making 247 whp at only 8 psi . your stock sr can't make this kind of power on stock turbo , maybe 220-230whp if you are lucky @ 16 psi .
so if you have low milage ka (under 100k) it would be cheeper to buy greddy kit and have 220whp , nice tq + smoke legal wich some of us care a lot
everything for about 3000$

The SR20 is not good because of top end power it's good because its a well balanced engine, that's why it's a favourate among drifters.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.