Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
SR20DET 33 67.35%
KA24DET 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #76
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Correction the 4G63T is the best four cylinder engine. I could really care less as to the ranking placement of the SR20 as thats irrelivant. We all know its a great motor. I'm simply saying that if I have the adequate funds and a 240SX I'd be able to beat most SR20 240's comparably equipped in a drag race.

True the 4g63 has a strong internal and can handle HUGE boost right DSMer?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #77
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
True the 4g63 has a strong internal and can handle HUGE boost right DSMer?

Fact.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #78
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

well im bring this back right quick and i need to lay down some auto-law :

THE THINGS THAT BOTHER ME:
1) Thinking that because a someone made VERY high hp out of a motor makes it the best thing since the wankel (sorry! had to get that in there ) The fact is anyone can get any amount of HP out of anything. hell, with the right amount of cash, you can gave a lawnmower block made out of special alloys, be balanced and cleared, run at some insane PSI and have nitrious oxide used just for the hell of it and make 400hp.

2)The SR20 is a good motor, so is the KA24. Honestly, they arent that far apart in weight and i have seen KA powered 240's run amazingly at the track. You can easily offset the effects of an iron block with suspension tuning and proper corner weight management.

3)The SR20 that you get for 3K is not going to be "250hp" try more like 180 whp. Yeah, thats right 180. "well you can get that to an easy 300!" yes, but that means more money on a motor that could have been left alone. THink about it this way. its a 2.0L turbo. what else has been a 2.0L turbo? well the 1.8T GTI is close and makes more power. The Porches 944 uses both the 2.5T and the uber rare 3.0T (four cyclinder), and has crazy power potenial as well. why not use that motor instead? hell you can get the entire 944 for the cost of a SR20 front clip and have a le mans winning car with ass loads of prestige! Has the SR20 won a le mans. no. granted neither has the KA so really that is a mood point.

4)Why are you people comparing a n/a motor to that of a turbo in factory trim? The sr will have the immediate advantage. no car will forced induction makes less than 180 hp unless the makers suck. So try comparing the Sr20 and Ka24 with the same turbo, intercooler, piping length, fuel grade, ambient temperature, tire, dyno, compression ratio, valve duration, timing, menstrual cycle and get an avergage of everything above. hell even use the same oil with the same mileage use with blocks of the same mileage with a break in process identical to one another. That would be the only way to have a fair comparision. And unless someone REALLY has no life, that wont happen.

Now my friend has just completed a sr20 swap into his 89 240. that ran him somewhere in the range of 7k with slightly better turbo and a FMIC. Seeing winter is still on, well see what the times he runs are. i myself am going to take up a KA project using the same 89 240 chassis. Well see what times i turn for cost and how i run at the midohio road course. In the mean time, my TII rx7 will walk him 400hp what? less than 4k spent including car? what? sorry again, my rotary ploys.

But the reason i am certain i can get more power from the KA than the SR is that i know what i am doing and am performing a custom install on the car. i am going to matcht the compressor and turbine for my appliaction choice (mid to high power) and work from there choosing the best cams profile and gearing.

SO i guess it comes down to what you want and want to do.The sr20 is going to be a hassle to replace little ass stocker parts that you cna no longer get from the junkyard or the dealer or NAPA. hell you will be lucky to get it from ebay. THe aftermarker is better on the SR but i have never liked parts developers who make random parts. i prefer desgin everything to work in conjunction so i wont mind a small margin of aftermarket support on the KA. hell if what i make works well, ill start selling it!

Well that is my thoughts and that. my fingers hurt from typing all that in 5 minutes.....
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #79
theotherguy111
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Personally, I prefer the XR48ROS21-GT. It puts out some serious hp!

i have never head of a XR48ROS21-GT where can i get some info on it?
theotherguy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #80
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy111
i have never head of a XR48ROS21-GT where can i get some info on it?

You brang this thread up again why?

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #81
MakotoS13
CF Newbie

cause he's a faggot JDM webjockey.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #82
my_ka-t
CF Newbie

ka-t anyday

listening to you guys run your mouths is so funny. SR this and SR that yea sure the SR is a good motor but at the end of the day i still walk away from them w/ my KA-t. Do the exact same things to a KA as an SR and youl walk an SR all day with the KA. And as far as the KA not bein able to rev high thats crap to. I've seen all motor KAs rev to 8,000. Anyways like i said the SR is a good motor but i'll take my "crappy turbo truck motor" anyday of the week.
my_ka-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:02 AM   #83
goku240sx
CF Newbie

I have seen every kinda 240 swap anybody can imagine. Although the SR is a remarkable feat of engineering and I am in no way knocking the SR. but for those who say and SR is better than the KA24det hasn't thought about the fact that a KA is a truck motor that is meant to be thrashed. the iron block only mean it can handle more boost. I am just staing that both are good in thier own way. I guess it all comes down to money. SR swap is about 2600 if you do the work yourself. but to turbo a KA ia under 1000. I have a KA and I don't know what I want to do yet because both are stilll good. Hell either way its a Nissan. Can;t we all just get alone? hahaha oh yea who got that pic of the chick with the tiggos?
goku240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #84
nissanTFsx
CF Enthusiast

I love both engines, they have their own advantages and disadvantages...
but i would go for the SR since the engine came with da turbo right out of the factory. lol...i guess i am biased against aftermarket turbos.

yea...as for the turbo-ing a KA thing, its cheaper to put a turbo on the KA...but i wonder how much it would cost to tune the KA to the point where it can pump out equivalent power as a stock SR.
nissanTFsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #85
risingsuns13
CF Newbie

stupid peoples

hahahah you guys r so stupid........ a ka-t is a ka with bolt on turbo, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, front intercooler, tune ecu.... n more stuff tats y its faster than a stock sr20 but if u spend all those money to an sr20 than it'll be even faster than tat hahahah so tis is for the ppl who dont understand tat a ka-t should beat a stock sr20 OK HAAHHAH
risingsuns13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #86
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsuns13
hahahah you guys r so stupid........ a ka-t is a ka with bolt on turbo, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, front intercooler, tune ecu.... n more stuff tats y its faster than a stock sr20 but if u spend all those money to an sr20 than it'll be even faster than tat hahahah so tis is for the ppl who dont understand tat a ka-t should beat a stock sr20 OK HAAHHAH

1) Re-read your post...if you can because I sure as hell could not.

2) Check the dates of the previous posts.

Who's the stupid one?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #87
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
HAAHHAH you r so stupid.............. most of the ppl who posted in this thread havent been on n more than a year.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #88
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Knobhead. Nuff said.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #89
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I wanna be a retard and answer 2 year old threads just like you!
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #90
carmaniac22
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man_Dan
I have noticed that the Internet is littered with debates on whether or not a SR20DET is superior to a turbocharged KA24DE motor. I am, however, confused on why this debate even exists. Therefore, I am posting this thread to find out what I must be missing.

I feel that there is absolutely no contest; the SR20DET motor is a far superior racing motor. It seems like this debate is comparing apples to oranges.

Here is my rationale.

Horsepower: The SR creates far more horsepower then a turbocharged KA. Although the KA has a 25% increase in displacement, the displacement is found in the stroke. The larger stroke limits the KA’s ability to rev as high as the SR. Since HP = Torque(RPM)/5252 (torque @ a given RPM is multiplied by that RPM, then the answer is divided by 5252) higher revs will create higher HP readings. (You will notice on graphs that all engines have the same horsepower and torque at 5252 RPM’s).

Torque: The KA obviously creates far more low-end torque (created by the bigger stroke). Since torque is what moves you, you would think the KA would be the better choice. The SR, however, can easily overcome this loss in low-end torque. Since the KA redlines at approximately 6,000 RPM’s and the SR at 7,500 RPM’s the SR can create more low-end torque. How, you ask? Well there are two kinds of torque, engine torque and gear torque. The KA produces more engine torque and since the SR revs higher it can use a lower gear ratio too build more gear torque. The gear torque quickly increases the total torque output in a vehicle. Therefore, with the 25% increase in RPM’s, the SR can produce comparable low-end torque.

Weight: Obviously, this is a huge concern for any racer. Lighter weight means quicker acceleration, deceleration, and better handling. The SR is an all aluminum construction, while the KA has an iron block.

Technology: The KA is a truck engine. It uses a distributor and is fuel injected. That is about the extent of its technology. The SR has direct ignition, and continuously variable valve timing (late model SR’s). This technology will give the SR a flatter torque curve then the KA.

I know the saying goes, “There is no replacement for cubic displacement.” but, I would take the SR over the KA any day of the week. Besides, what would you rather have? A big block NASCAR engine or a F1 engine?

With that said, I await to hear what I missed about the performance benefits of a KA.

I have a good question what does the sr20 come out of
carmaniac22 is offline   Reply With Quote